Calculating how much you gain from %crit vs. +dmg

Rulzern
King Size Leet

Calculating how much you gain from %crit vs. +dmg

Post by Rulzern »

To calculate how much +dmg you get from 1 %crit, you first have to find out how big the difference between your regular hit and your crit is, this is easiest to check on min-damage mobs, but it can also be done on non-min damage mobs, but you will have to take the average of your non-crit hit, and compare that to your crit hit. You will gain more from %crit in non-min damage situations than in min-damage situations.

In addition, you will have to figure out how many hits per minute you get, to use some example numbers, let's use a gun with 1000 regular damage, 2000 crit, burst and fling capped.

Regular hits: 30
Burst = 7.5*3 = 22.5
Fling = 10

Each %crit will add [Difference between regular and crit]/100 damage per hit on regular hits, fling, fast attack and brawl (you have to calculate the difference seperately for brawl).

Burst is not affected by %crit.

1% crit will, in the case of our fictional gun be equal to:

((30+10)*10)/(30+10+22.5) = 400/62.5 = 6.4 +dmg

If you're using more than one gun, you have to calculate the regular hits from each gun, the specials from the gun that gives it, and do the calculations per gun.
Chrisax
President

Re: Calculating how much you gain from %crit vs. +dmg

Post by Chrisax »

:) Thanks Rulzie.
noobas
Leetissimo!

Post by noobas »

that calculation isn't right rulz, you're adding crit to the regular dmg, when in reality crit hits will replace normal attacks.

also, I think burst is affected by crit, otherwise you wouldn't see soldiers hitting for 11k bursts

I mean, I dont think Dsharks are hitting 3.7k normal hits... thats getting into high AR MA skill normal hit territory.

Anyway, I'd say the best way to calculate it is using a dmg dumper, or, if you don't have the items yet, use the dmg calculator in AO universe

It's more complex anyway, because once you get into the high AR levels, the add dmg is multiplited by the AR bonus, thus the add dmg is greater than the actual number at base.

for example: at level 50, your max hit changes by 25 for a 25 add dmg item, but at 220 with 3000 AR, your dmg might increase by 750.

I know that for me, adding 500 points worth of add dmg on my MA results in approximately 2000 more damage per hit (crit) , of course, it's harder to separate, because many items add dmg and AR. I go from critting for about 6500 to critting for 8500+ So I think it's a little more complicated than that. At lower levels, though I think the calculation is like this:

For 10% crit:

(0.9 x average hit + 0.1 crit hit ) x # attacks per minute

For 100 add dmg and 4% crit:

(0.96 x (average hit +100) + 0.04 x (crit+100) ) x # attacks per minute

To calculate average hit, without spending 20 minutes writing stuff down and following your fight logs: just add you max dmg to the min dmg and divide by 2.
For example:

for an ithaca at 1-1:
dmg range looks like this:
1 - 132 (572)

average hit is (1+132)/2 = 66.5 so, this gun, with 100 add dmg and 4% crit is:
((0.96 x (66.5+100) + 0.04 x (572+132))x30 = 5640 dmg/min

to compare with 10% crit and no add dmg:
((0.9 x (66.5) + 0.1 x (572+132))x30 = 3908 dmg/min
" I Don't Like That Man. I Must Get To Know Him Better." -Abraham Lincoln
Rulzern
King Size Leet

Post by Rulzern »

1. You have to look at the _difference_ between your regular hit and your crit.

2. Burst is not affected by crit, burst some BY leets and you'll see. :p

3. Add damage is not multiplied by AR bonus, your tests are wrong (the items add to MA skill)

4. Your calculations on the ithaca are correct, when we're looking at a person with 1 AR.

The calculation changes a good deal when we look at a person with a ~1.1k AR (adjusted for post-1k AMS curve).

Average hits: 66.5*2.75 = 183
Crit = 183+(572*2.75) = 1756

100 add dmg and 4% crit:
((0.96 x (183+100) + 0.04 x (1756+363))x30 = 10693.2 dmg/min

to compare with 10% crit and no add dmg: 164,7+211
((0.9 x (183) + 0.1 x (1756+363))x30 = 11271 dmg/min[/quote]

Of course, these calculations are broken, since they don't take ACs into account, it's a lot easier to calculate it in min-damage situations (which is what the rest of us are in at pretty much all times).
noobas
Leetissimo!

Post by noobas »

damn you rulzie! I'm wasting time at work responding to your posts!

I agree, My calcs were very rudimentary. And I didn't account forAC's and a bunch of other stuff, I just wanted to show another way of calculating crit.

Anyway, AO calculations to do wtih AR checks and damage are very tricky, and everytime I think I figured it out, it gets messed up.

So, let me reiterate: The best way to check what does more dmg is to bring all your gear and go do some HECKS!

rawr!
Rulzern
King Size Leet

Post by Rulzern »

So, let me reiterate: The best way to check what does more dmg is to bring all your gear and go do some HECKS!
Not if your definition of "best" is "the one that involves the most amount of numbers", like mine does!
noobas
Leetissimo!

Post by noobas »

Well in the case of AO, usually the one with more numbers and looks really complex is the right one.

However, I think the other thing that isn't adressed in the crit increase from higher AR vs low evades.

Not that I want to tackle it... I'm just saying, both of our calculations are rudimentary compared to the complex code AO uses grr.

by the way, speaking of AR vs evades, I was horsing around with a starred QL 210 enforcer the other day with less than stellar AR, and with a full evades setup, and DOF perked, he was still hitting me with his normal attack... which kind of made me annoyed.

like, we're talking on the order of 2k less AR than my evades and aad... so what gives? any ideas?