Retrieving Lost Items

Phoenix
Strong Leet

Retrieving Lost Items

Post by Phoenix »

I have a number of mules for different items and move stuff around a lot. Most of the time there's no problem but every now and then an item doesn't go from char A to char B as it should. Due to that I've gotten into the habit of sending a tell to the other char with an item or more from each pack in case things go bad so I can get the items back through a petition as without exact info, they won't return anything.

Although I found a neat little trick some years back on the AO forums that at least some of the time can save you the time and hassle of going through a petition.
  1. Neither char should zone or log.
  2. If the person giving the item opens trade with the other person again and sees the item in the trade window that person should hit decline.
  3. This should put a phantom version of that item in that person's inventory.
  4. Move the phantom item to the bank then back to the inventory which seems to turn it from a phantom item to a real item allowing you to try the trade again.

What this deals with is when items get stuck between chars in a trade. As a result are in a sort of limbo not firmly attached to either char. That's why the items are lost when you zone or log sort of like when you have items in overflow.

If you open trade with the other person and don't see the item then try zoning or logging. In such cases it may just be an issue of it not appearing in the other person's inventory but it is actually there.
Last edited by Phoenix on Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
InsaneEvan
Strong Leet

Re: Retrieving Lost Items

Post by InsaneEvan »

Awesome, cheers Phoenix!
Wish I'd known this a few months ago. Would have saved me a lot of hassle ](*,)
"Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate; it is that we are powerful beyond measure"
Marianne Williamson
Grind42
Leetissimo!

Post by Grind42 »

Phoenix wrote:
Hmmz, there are items in OA history that have this problem time & time again (PBP & Chapmans being the most common that I have witnessed), I can understand these steps when doing mutiple trades IE 2 or more items or BP's to another toon.

If its just 1 item I usually zone & then the item appears in inventory of the toon that you xfered to.

Thx for the post Insane 8)
If its not broken, Your not trying hard enough!!

-DC-Grind42-Nightcrawler-
Damage Clan
General of Athen Paladins
Phoenix
Strong Leet

Post by Phoenix »

Grind42 wrote:
Phoenix wrote:
If its just 1 item I usually zone & then the item appears in inventory of the toon that you xfered to.

Thx for the post Insane 8)
That's when the item actually made it over but there was some glitch that prevented it from appearing. It's sort of like when you move items from one pack to another but they don't visibly show up in the other pack till you've zoned/logged.

With this though the item is stuck between the two chars it seems. If either char zones/logs then the phantom item stuck in the trade window is lost. Sort of like stuff in overflow. It's not on any one char, just largely stuck in limbo with a mild attachment to someone.