Inspect Butrkup's Config

A place to discuss and compare items, armors, weapons, etc., and see how to combine them
butrkup
Strong Leet

Inspect Butrkup's Config

Post by butrkup »

Okay, guys, here is a link to my current config. This should include my perks distribution/research progress also. I'm not the most technical of players, and I have a hard time theorizing in the abstract. Much easier for me to understand through experience, and I think talking it out here with you guys will _really_ help me. I'm a bit overwhelmed with where to start updating myself--better symbs? armor? new nanos? and what weapon? :?:

As you will see there's a lot of room for improvement, especially in my armor/utilities. I have a lot of perks in +nano skills lines (Nano Doctorate, Champion of Nano Combat, e.g.). Seems like there's a lot of armor now that gives these BM/MM adds, so perhaps there's some room for toying with my perks. I'm worried that I won't be able to self BI without at least some of these perks and I'd really like to be able to self BI no matter how I end up. And I'm not even familiar with the BM/MM reqs of the new doc nanos. :shock:

I'm not crazy about the idea of going pistols. It just seems blah to me. However, I don't see any other exciting possibilities either. Right now as you know I have the SoD but also have bow & AS ip'd because I used (well, sort of) the Superior Sapphistic Bow in tower war pvp 4 years ago. From reading the doc weap thread what I understand is that I need to choose between focusing on PvP or being a team/raid healer PvM. My choice is the latter, but I'd like to improve my damage output.

Another goal I have is to make a QL 279 Nano Controller Unit so that I can take some perks out of the +nano skills lines, perhaps. I may have to IPR to make it then do a full IP reset--is that possible?

I'd also like to have lots of HP.

I'm right at 2K tokens, aiming at the 2500 board someday.

http://auno.org/ao/equip.php?saveid=126274
(Actually my sabas are only +550 hp each, not +720 each as in this config--was confusing to get the right ones selected.)

I'd love to hear what you have to say, any ideas you'd like to toss out.

Thank you for whatever input you'd like to give!

-Butr <3
-Butr <3
May the laughter fill your glass,
May your disappointments pass,
May your illusions last until they shatter
Sillanto
Leetissimo!

Re: Inspect Butrkup's Config

Post by Sillanto »

I would say a good cheap start for your armor would be to go do some biodomes and get some jathos then upgrade it with the dust brigade thigns (they are plentyfull and always left to rot so you can probably get a full set in 1 go)
You want it made ..... See me
You want it broken ... See me
You want it fixed....... Send your hampster to FC
noobas
Leetissimo!

Post by noobas »

pvp doc = great pvm team doc.

I think you'll get your nano sorted just fine especially with a highish nano controller.

Sounds like youre looking at some interesting options. I pvp a lot, and I will give you a couple examples of really good weapon setups.

1. Ql 225-250 cobra MK6 : AS, fling, great min dmg. best TL7 pvp wep imo
2. professional saphistic bow: AS, fast recharge, weak pvm, but could swap to MA for pvm (not bad)
3. duel shenstick: best option overall, excellent pvm dmg, not too hard to equip.
4. Right hand hope, left hand grace, pistols. second best overall option. decent pvm dmg, nice modifiers, but doc doesn't really need cost or nano delta at TL7 (unless using new doc nuke)
5. QL 250-275 Shark MK6 Or bigburger and docpistol in add dmg setup. Best pvm dmg with 15k FA's and 6-7k burst. can't hit anyone in pvp. only good for leveling imo. Tough on IP I suspect.

If you like pvm do whatever is decent dmg (keep in mind though, with low AR even with lots of add dmg you may not be able to land your best specials. FA comes to mind)

If you are thinking about pvp, you really want either: AS, or hyper nano skills and nano delta to recharge from the nukes (huge cost on nukes and dots)
" I Don't Like That Man. I Must Get To Know Him Better." -Abraham Lincoln
Rulzern
King Size Leet

Post by Rulzern »

PvM weapon options for docs are plentiful, PvP weapons not so much. I wouldn't personally say that shen sticks are the best overall weapons (either for PvM or PvP), but they are a good option, along with a lot of other things.

Armor choices are a bit more universal IMHO.
Alphacenta
Leetissimo!

Post by Alphacenta »

Newest flavor of the month doc pvp weapon is a QL250+ish Ofab Tiger Mk6, because next patch COHA (or one of the other AI champ lines) will have Bow added to it. :) So then the Tiger suddenly isn't so worthless anymore in pvp! (It's good now as well, though.)
Lupusceleri L220/24 Agent.
Silversmith upcoming TL5 twink.
Wolfseye L110/12 Adventurer (towertwink).
Lysdexic L90/9 Agent (Mimic Enf towertwink).
Aesculapias L21/2 Doctor (ancient).

Aaaand various other alts.
butrkup
Strong Leet

Post by butrkup »

Rulz recommended a configuration that I'm going to shoot for in terms of armor & utils. <3Rulzie<3 Thank you. And, Sill, I am going to go for enhanced jathos--both you and Rulz suggested. 8)

I have actually achieved some of the items--the 2500 board (thank you all tonite!) and the Superior Icy Shoulderpads of the Powerful Mind (thank you Grindy & MrFree). :D

Thank you for the weapon suggestions, Noobas, and I always like to be aware of the flavor of the month, Lupus. ;) I'm going to decide on this part soonish.

I'm a bit freakin' about how to equip the 300 symbs. I know a PR is necessary, but is there a list of items that are indispensable for equipping 300 symbs? I mean, that's why people grind for the BoC, right? And the TNH belt?

And, if I want to make a ql 279 nano controller unit, which requires 6*279 in EE & Chem, should I do that first and then equip the symbs? I'm confused about what to do first--maybe the Nano controller unit since I'll need to use refined imps as part of that process?

Any guidance on how to prioritize? Perhaps what I should do is just jump in on an IPR since I know I'll need that. I'll have to unequip & re-equip for that, so it'll put me in full swing "remember how to do all this stuff" mode. Think a couple more decisions (weap) need to be made before I jump right in.

Thank you for the input and I welcome your comments/thoughts. <3

-Butr <3
-Butr <3
Hyde
Hyde!

Post by Hyde »

1) If you're going to build a nano controller, build a QL300. If trox can do it at 216 (and wait 4 levels to equip) you can do it at 220 :) It is worth the 2 reset points even now. Spend the money and/or time for the 300 nano controller, it is worth never needing another one (since you will need to IP reset after it).

2) Long-term, if you're going to stay focused on your doc, it is worth while to get multiple sets of armor. 1 to focus on HP (good for PvP and hard PvM), 1 to focus on nano init (good for team PvM and getting better for PvP) and if you like to solo 1 that focuses on damage/weapon skills. It will keep you busy but you'll find you are a lot more flexible. The gear you're looking at right now is a good compromise between things.

3) No one can really decide the best gear for you but you. The best way to outfit any toon is to go to http://www.auno.org/ ... fill out the form for the stats you are looking for (like: profession: "at least doctor", type: "non-implant", effects: "the stat you are looking for" >= 1) and browse through the gear. I send you to Auno because even though AOMainframe has better searches for some things like weapon damage type, Auno has comment fields that will quickly let you find out how to acquire the gear (letting you know if you're even going to bother).

4) Cobra is a bad choice for a PvP weapon for a doc. Will have too much recharge. If you're WILLING to have a long recharge then go for a slightly longer one and use a Tiger since its poison damage will match your DoTs. Otherwise stick to the tried and true Doc AS weapons (Kyr'Ozch Energy Carbine type 3, Sapphistic Bow, Arbalest, Ithaca). There are many many threads about these weapons on the main AO forum for doctors ... it is best to go there and read and read and read. If you're not wanting to PvP or not much, go for the doc Pistols. If you want to solo PVM alot and PvP is an afterthough then go for Shens (MA can make a good PvP type for doc BUT requires a LOT more work to be viable and you'll be taking Shens off for it if you want to get far solo, so I wouldn't recommend it for you). Shark will be even worse for a PvM doc than Cobra will be for a PvP doc. Simply avoid the Ofab weapons with the possible exception of the Tiger. COHA won't really help a doc with the Tiger though ... it is the AS speed that is the main issue there ... but Tiger is still interesting due to damage type.

5) Lesson: people without 220 docs always give weird advice about 220 docs. Make SURE you go to those AO forums.

6) You're solitus ... you shouldn't need Burden for QL300 symbs ... especially after 18.0 comes out. You WILL want your TNH belts (yellow being most important for support symbs, red and blue probably equally important but maybe skippable) ... or wait for the upgraded Hadrulf belt ... other items you'll want: Masterpiece Ancient Bracer, Perfected Infused Dustbrigade Bracer any Dustbrigade armor that buffs abilities, Pandemonium (Zods) NCUs that buff intelligence/psychic (Aquarius and Cancer), Capricorn Guide to Alchemy (get 6 each of the Spiritech devices, too, from the adds), Aquarius gloves, maybe the Ofab Doctor gloves, maybe Flycatcher's specs ... anything else you need will be relatively easy to acquire. You want to be at least AI23 (for both genome lines + Genius) and higher will be helpful but not mandatory. Once you have most of that accomplished just yell for help on figuring out the order of implanting. BoC never HURTS, and maybe Soli needs BoC for some locations, not sure, but I know that Opi doesn't need it at all anymore (and may not have needed it a year ago) and as Trox I was able to get -some- QL300s in before all this DB/Albtraum/Xan buffage.

7) Lesson: remember those AO doc forums ... the AO doctors forum is one of the more intelligent prof forums and if you read back into the old threads you'll get tons of goodness about configs and weapons.
butrkup
Strong Leet

Post by butrkup »

Hyde:
1) If you're going to build a nano controller, build a QL300. If trox can do it at 216 (and wait 4 levels to equip) you can do it at 220 :) It is worth the 2 reset points even now. Spend the money and/or time for the 300 nano controller, it is worth never needing another one (since you will need to IP reset after it).
Point taken. Absolutely makes sense to go for a ql 300--only a few points of difference between 279 & 300 in terms of skills required--worth it to go for the best. Affirms that yes I should expect to IPR before and after. Wasn't sure if my thinking on the IPRs was accurate. And besides, if you're gonna IPR for it might as well get the best for the trouble. Thanks. :)
2) Long-term, if you're going to stay focused on your doc, it is worth while to get multiple sets of armor.
Interesting--I will keep this in mind and balance my ambitions with my desire to function in the various ways you mention, as well as with what I think is having fun in AO.
3) No one can really decide the best gear for you but you.
and
on the main AO forum for doctors ... it is best to go there and read and read and read.
and
Lesson: remember those AO doc forums ... the AO doctors forum is one of the more intelligent prof forums and if you read back into the old threads you'll get tons of goodness about configs and weapons.
Awww, I have to think for myself? ;) Of course you're right. Since my return I've been overwhelmed with all the new items and choices. I've been confused and disoriented. The advice I've gotten has been helpful in terms of learning what the (new) choices are, getting up to speed, that kind of thing. At the same time the advice is not written in stone and will not limit what choices I will make. I've been fishing but not meaning to ask anyone to do my thinking for me. Suggestions are simply a jumping-off point.

I will spend time soaking up info the AO Doctor Forum.
Once you have most of that accomplished just yell for help on figuring out the order of implanting.
Thanks a TON for the rundown of Pande loot. That helps a lot. And, I will shout out for help when the time comes. I've got some work cut out for me--in the meantime I"ll just continue readjusting and letting the overwhelm subside a bit.

Apologize for any impressions of "please make my toon for me" I may have left with you all! #-o

Thanks for the time you put into the posts. :)

-Butr <3
-Butr <3
Elrojo
BacoTroll

Post by Elrojo »

Butr in Hunds post about ql300 symbs someone did a good list of items that will be needed. Check there also :)

GL
butrkup
Strong Leet

Post by butrkup »

Right on, I'll find that. Thanks Elrojo. :)
-Butr <3
noobas
Leetissimo!

Post by noobas »

Butr, I'm not sure what your plan is as far as doing IPR, and putting in symbs and whatnot.

And hyde is right: people (me) who don't have 220 docs give wierd advice. (guilty as charged)

However, I would perhaps be able to help with a few things, as far as your processing goes.

When I was leveling noobastank, I sort of messed up my IP, and tried out two shensticks for a while which really put a dent in my IP with MM being maxed. Eventually, I had accumulated a few higher level symbs (250-270 range) I decided I was more interested in pvp, I had also accumulated about 3 pieces of 300 strong armour and maybe 1 piece of 300 CC, so I was somewhat on my way to endgame armour, and closer to end game symbs.

For MA, the choices for IP are fairly simple: MA skill, brawl, SA, piercing, dimache, bow and AS.

Since our conversation yesterday, and the symbs that I know you have, I would say that now is an OK (not bad, not great, but OK) time to do a partial IPR. If you have enough IP to max your EE and chem skill now, and then build that nano controller, I would do it, then hang tight until you are DEAD SET on the weapons you want to use.

I mean that in all seriousness, because the last thing you want to do is do an IPR, build some very expensive QL 290-300 implants with Bow and AS, and then you finally get all your gear on and you realize that your pvm dmg just doesn't cut it.

this is why in my first post I listed some popular and oddball weapon options. Armour can be changed, nano skills can be buffed, but IP in weapon skills is there for good.

Everyone has made some good contributions to this post so far. So I just want to add a couple more points, which haven't really been covered.

1. duel pistols: hope/grace is great for team (healing, and staying alive), good for add dmg setup, good for staying out of range of bosses, not good for soloing, but not bad because the nano cost and nano delta will make up for spamming nukes, which is very useful in pvp and pvm.
---> well supported in symbs, no annoying implants to make

2. duel shenstick: not as good for teaming, and adding dmg when you need to be out of range, (and for staying alive) best for soloing, average for pvp.
-----> well supported in symbs, no annoying implants to make (except maybe a left hand if you really wanted to.)

3. duel pistols hope or grace and a bigburger: not good on IP, great for team adding damage, excellent for add dmg setup, crappy for pvp, only really good soloing lower level mobs, since you just can't get the FA skill to be landing really good hits.
---> main attack (full auto not supported in symbs) would require probably at least one annoying implant.

4. shotgun/rifle: rifle is not that good, as hyde said the recharge on AS is too long. no decent modifiers on weapon (like hope/grace), pvp will be decent though, and you will be pretty scary for advy types where you can cap an AS hit that will really surprise them. symb not supported, and will be tricky to find balance for pvp and pvm.
Shotgun: Ithaca or arbalest is weapon of choice for all pvp TL5 docs. at TL7, the shotgun option is still decent, and is certainly one of the best options for a doc fighting an evade profession.

5. Bow: What lups said about the tigress is a very valid point. poison dmg is consistent throughout dots, and will be very useful in fighting advy, keeper, engi, and enforcer, and some shade (coccoon profs). I think you may also get fling shot, which is decent. This isn't good for add dmg setup, and pvm will suffer. Soloing will be annoying to say the least.
----> symb supported (mostly)

so: what it really comes down to : is AS weap or better pvm? (keep in mind, the best docs are able to make a pvm setup be usuable in pvp, but a pvp setup might be harder to be good in pvm), for instance: bombadoc uses dual shens, and is very good in pvp, but estero uses a rifle, and is probably less effective in pvm.

whatever you do, just try to get it sorted before you start your IPR.
My recommendation is hope / grace or dual shensticks. Shen if you like solo, pistols for teaming/ raids. And I think you will find that docs are highly flexible in pvp, in being able to outlast and outlast and outlast, most other profs will just die eventually... so weaps don't even matter in some cases.
" I Don't Like That Man. I Must Get To Know Him Better." -Abraham Lincoln
Hyde
Hyde!

Post by Hyde »

Symb support for docs is about to change with 18.0 ... wait for 18.0 to be out before making any decisions on weapons. Just focus on gathering gear right now.
butrkup
Strong Leet

Post by butrkup »

Thanks so much for all this wonderful input. I am going to let it bounce around in my mind for a while & do some doc forum (and other) reading--as the only thing I really can do without reservations or additional farmed items atm is do an IPR and make the nano controller unit.

I certainly am trying not to make any quick decisions on weapons. I have used MA while leveling, shotgun, JAME, pistols, bow, rifle (and maybe another that I can't recall atm, not necessarily in that order) ... and now melee energy. I've used quite a few IPR points being fickle :)

There's another dimension to the weapon decision that I'm a little embarrassed to mention, but it's there: I have this fantasy that there is some weapon that just somehow suits me, matches my toon, or just fits--if that makes any sense. If I were to choose that weapon right now, it would be dual Swords of Dawn. Yes, I did read the drawbacks on the Doc Forums about it. :)

BUT, I'm going to wait because it just seems a bit rash (etc etc) and I'm not sure if I would regret it down the road. And I'll see what 18 brings. There's no real hurry :)

Much love,
Butr <3
-Butr <3
Pahuljica
Little Leet

Post by Pahuljica »

This is mine equipment atm on Pahu
http://auno.org/ao/equip.php?saveid=127518
I still need to change somme stuff (300symbs for example) but i newer bother with TNH too much to bid for it. I am able to put it atm, but .. will wait for that little.
So far i am satisfied with mine doc. Able to solo Anasi Hand's, LOTV, and somme high boss, but .. there are still somme stuff to do.

If ya need help, say.
Rulzern
King Size Leet

Post by Rulzern »

Congratulations butr, you might not have to change weapons after all.

Now, before all you naysayers start nay-ing, hear me out. Dualing these gives 800 HP, they are now 1/1, min damage has been raised by 50, crit has been raised to 500 (which is almost !!!-worthy). It has every melee special(!!!), MBS is way above what you can even hope to dream about,it still checks duck, and it's (apparently) still one of the coolest-looking weapons in the game.

IMHO it's not a bad choice at all, it's not an uber PvP or PvM choice, but IMHO it has qualities that makes it decent at both aspects, like the doc pistols.

Damage calcs(1050 adjusted AR):
Regular hits = 1087.5 - 1268.25
Crits = 2900 - 3081.25

The numbers don't seem that bad, comparing them to shen sticks, you lose a few attacks per minute, 10 min damage, 140 max damage, and the nanite interruption proc, you gain sneak and fast attack, 300 HP, 64 intelligence (~15 points of trickle to nano skills), 8 nano delta, -8% nano cost, a weapon that checks duck instead of evade.

However, it's going to be quite a challenge to get them on... 2251 melee energy is a LOT.

If it's possible to get on, it seems like a good deal. :p

EDIT: I just noticed power up only adds ranged energy... I'm guessing it's not possible to get on.