Kiting 101

A place to discuss and compare items, armors, weapons, etc., and see how to combine them
Mud
Leetissimo!

Kiting 101

Post by Mud »

Found this in a old folder, changed some things on it since the last time I posted it.

Kiting 101

Okay, well the greatest thing Nano Techs have going for them is kiting. We are very squishy, can’t tank, can’t heal, and catch lots of agg. But who else can kill 80+ Ely Hecks at once?

Requirements:

Run Speed, well duh, you need to run quicker than the mob you are kiting. This will depend on what the mob is. If you are doing Chill Spiders at the scoop, you can be slower than you would have to be at Ely Hecks. A good rule, is, can you out run it and lose agg? If so, then you will be okay.

Nano int. You have to be able to nearly instant cast your AoE, instant would be nice, but no required. Longer you stand still to cast, longer you have chance to die. (at lvl 200, still does not take many hits from Ely Heck to kill me). Buff this, make sure your implants have this, get recompilers.

Nanos: (borrowed this from forums)

There are three nanos you should know about. By reading my descriptions, hopefully you'll learn what to do also:

1) Volcanic Eruption
This Area of Effect (AOE) nano casts quicker than Kel's Plaything and actually does more damage over time if you cast as quick as possible. However, that would involve stopping more. This nano is great to start kites... while you are collecting all the mobs, you can cast this whenever you like, getting their attention.

2) Boil Blood
The maligned NT Damage Over Time nano line is usually ignored. However, this damage over time is AOE! The range is kinda small, I usually gather a few mobs with Volcanic Eruption before casting Boil Blood. The real advantage of Boil Blood is that is keeps doing damage while you are running/casting, helping the mobs keep agg on you (instead of people running by, etc)... and when agg is on you, they are easier to lead around and innocents get to live.

3) Kel's Neutonium Plaything
This one does the big damage, and allows you to run more. If you're a Volcanic Eruption fan, I would suggest at least using this near the end of the kite. Sometimes some of the mobs will slow down because they are about to die, but other mobs still going quickly. If you are making a tight circle, they will stay somewhat together anyway, but it's nice to start using Kel's to kill off the slow ones with one blow instead of a few VEs. Personal style really.

Mechanics of Kiting:

I start off by zooming out my view and look from above. This allows for me to see all the Hecks warping around and incoming teams. I get close enough that I do not catch agg and cast VE, I take off running! Warning, do not run in a straight line, Hecks will warp on you and you will die. Instead run in a curve like manner. Just a little turning will work, kinda like a zig-zag.

You may have to run to next group and cast Kel’s, but then you will want to get a circle run path started. And this is the hard part, your circle needs to be smaller than you think. Once the groups is together cast Boil Blood, this will help keep agg., then keep running in circle, stop, cast Kel’s, run again. Simple keep running in a circle, and casting Kel’s or whatever nuke you are using. As the mobs hp gets lower, they will slow down. Here you must make the circle smaller, I know it seems like that would get you killed, but if you don’t you will run into the backs of the almost dead ones. Loot and wait for respawn.

Warning!!! There are only 3 places in Ely that are good kite spots. Meaning they have lots of Hecks, and few teams mess with you. A team will catch your agg, and mess up the kite, this equals death for the team and the nt. Also people are very greedy. Everyone wants to be on a kite team, for the free xp. As a rule nt’s help each other out and let them on each other’s teams, but beware of gankers. If a player is flagged and purposely gets hit by your nuke, then you are flagged and they can kill you and take your loot. This is very sad, but does happen.
Daddyrabbit 220/30 ENFStuff
Valkyrieval
Strong Leet

Post by Valkyrieval »

Peas from Tir Muffin Co-op on Testlive has created a kiting video. The written guides are a help, as is watching someone do it (to the extent you can), but the first-person view was incredibly helpful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uklvTifxbhY
Alphacenta
Leetissimo!

Post by Alphacenta »

Hm, Tir Muffin Co-op is where Alpharts (my ma) is in too on test :)

Nice video btw... :) But those things have mad hp bars hehe :P
Lupusceleri L220/24 Agent.
Silversmith upcoming TL5 twink.
Wolfseye L110/12 Adventurer (towertwink).
Lysdexic L90/9 Agent (Mimic Enf towertwink).
Aesculapias L21/2 Doctor (ancient).

Aaaand various other alts.
Kyttn
King Size Leet

Post by Kyttn »

I would also add Legion of the Eyeblighter to the list of good Kiting nanos. It is an AoE blind, so helps you live and hold agro at the same time.

For those that have never kited before, I suggest starting out by practicing on RK mobs. At low levels you cannot insta cast your AoE nukes, so pick on a single mob and use your best insta-cast single nuke.

When you are ready to face a Heckler, head out to somewhere like Shell Beach. You can often find single hecklers out there. Practice kiting just the 1 heckler. Test out your ability to pull the heck about using Boil Blood or Legion of the Eyeblighter. Learn how close/far you need to be to cast your AoE nukes and watch how fast your nano bar drops. One of the advantages of Kel's is the slow recharge gives you time to regain nano and to run further way before stopping again. Learn how far a Heck can hit you from and why you don't run in a straght line for long.

Finally, when you think you have it worked out, I suggest you take the statue to The Outer Isles. There is a nice small group of about 20-30 hecklers there both near the Southern shore of that bay and just outside the bay to the South. Slowly build up the number of Hecks you can control and kill. Learn to watch for walking Hecks that add themselves to the kite at the last moment. Learn to spot lag in a kite and decide when to keep going and when to run screaming and waving your hands in the air.

The last word in all of this is ... be prepared to die ... often!!!

Note: Any first-time kiters let me know and I will try to get Jabiru, my buffing MP, to join you so you can get a new CI each time you die.