ASSIST HEAL: How to make SURE you heal the person aggroed

A place to discuss and compare items, armors, weapons, etc., and see how to combine them
Chrisax
President

ASSIST HEAL: How to make SURE you heal the person aggroed

Post by Chrisax »

Have you ever lost track of WHO was getting aggroed by a mob?

Have you ever seen one of your teammates die because you couldn't realize fast enough he was the one the boss was suddenly hitting?

Have you ever faced a mob switching aggro and making almost impossible for you to follow his hits with your heals?

... and if that never happened to you, then be SURE it will happen soon.

In fact, at high levels, you NEED an (almost) automatic way to heal the right person, ther current target of a mob. If not, you let your teammates die sooner or later.

The answer is called "assist heal". Basically you assist the mob to have the same target as the mob, and, thus, heal that target!

The explanations are there in a great assist guide by Doctorhyde:

http://www.athenpaladins.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=672

This is the part about docs, but you'll need to read the beginning of the guide too.
Doctorhyde wrote: GETTING DEEPER: ASSIST HEALING

The REAL power of assisting for healers comes in combining both of the above macros. Most times in a raid with multiple teams, there will be one or two tanks taking the majority of the damage, but aggro can shift quickly. So we need a way to be able to quickly see who is taking damage right now. (...)
Malosar
Maxi Leet

Re: ASSIST HEAL: How to make SURE you heal the person aggroed

Post by Malosar »

Many many years later, it's surprising to see how many high level docs don't use this or don't even know about it.
noobas
Leetissimo!

Post by noobas »

with the raid interface, it's almost a moot point, since the raid interface is significantly more useful.

Also, for raids like 12m, who Xan is aggroing isn't the problem... it's who is taking PVP damage from the crit setup keeper with 3600 AR or the MA who just procced 100% crit chance.

Notably, the mechanics in Xan are smart: want to come to the raid and you're 217 and now outfitted very well? GREAT! PVP points for your mates.

Xan will ALWAYS target the lowest HP member of the group with his minions (controlled players).

This is the # 1 reason why I don't invite anyone sub 219, and usually only aim to bring 220's.
" I Don't Like That Man. I Must Get To Know Him Better." -Abraham Lincoln
Nic
Big Leet

Post by Nic »

i dont use the macros, but i do build drag the heal bars and heal whoever getting hit and losing HP.

I will try the macros but its been a while since i lost anyone, principle is good and seeing the macros in action.
Ultra
Champion Leet

Post by Ultra »

Teamheal + hots ftw <3 ;)

Nah use assist but there is also a option now (? not sure if its a new future or not) who got aggro from mob/boss.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reapermann
Leetissimo!

Post by Reapermann »

Go into GUI (f10) and choose targets targets I think. I use assist heal macro in most raids except s35, even if I am not calling 35. I have raid windows on my desk top set for 6 teams. Mostly heal with the windows and if am in tank team f1 f2 f3 etc. My problem with the lil raid windows is finding the cursor to click on the windows stupid thing is difficult to find at times.