NEWS: Patch 17.9, new engine, etc

General messages, related to AP or AO. (All users can read)
Chrisax
President

NEWS: Patch 17.9, new engine, etc

Post by Chrisax »

Letter from the Game Director

With the 17.8 update now live and being enjoyed across the dimensions I thought it would be a good time to tell you all a little more about how we are feeling about the recent changes and what we have in the works here for upcoming content.

Firstly I just want to say a few words on the latest game update and take the opportunity to answer a few questions. We are very pleased to see the positive reaction to the new PVP systems we introduced in 17.8. It is always a little bit of an anxious time when you overhaul a major part of the game and we have been delighted to see players enjoying the new dueling system as well as taking part in more group based PVP. It has always been our aim to encourage people to explore group tactics and learnt to work together in mass PVP scenarios and I’m very happy to observe that already people are starting to put together new strategies and tactics for taking each other on.

Quite a few people have asked if the new systems will support PVP based rewards. As I mentioned last time out this is something that is on the drawing board as it were. We will consider PVP based rewards associated with either your ranks or possibly some other associated goal. We won’t be doing it in the short term however. We want to give the new systems some time to settle in and see if we need to make any further tweaks or changes before we add rewards into the mix.

Next up, I have received a few questions on why did we decide to include a duel mode when we don’t balance for one on one PVP? Well, mainly it was to try and provide something for everyone in the PVP update. While as we have said in the past there are indeed too many inherent imbalances between the professions to try and balance them all for one on one combat, we do recognize that there was an active community who enjoyed just challenging friends (and enemies!) to single combat.

So when we decided to look at the PVP system it seemed a logical extension to also include something for those people as well. It was I think a fun addition to the game that allows player to have another, safer PVP option and one that isn’t as open to anti-social behavior like ganking and trying to trick people into PVP. I think it’s a great thing to be able to offer options that cater for as many preferred game styles as possible, so the dueling system was a small addition that would make that kind of PVP more appealing and more fun. If we encourage those people who were previously put off this type of PVP due to the negative elements mentioned above then I think the system was more then worth it!

So what about the future?

The render engine upgrade is coming along nicely and we are still hoping that we will be able to launch it later this year. We are soon starting full testing on the engine itself, and will them move on to the upgrading of the visual effects that have to be reworked or converted for the new engine (Nano-casting effects and such like). This is a lengthy part of the process but the progress so far has been excellent and we will be sure to keep you all up to date as we progress.

In terms of game updates the current plan is that the new engine upgrade will be the 18.0 update, which will also hopefully have some great new booster content at the same time. We are working towards completing a playfield booster for high level players to launch around the same time as the engine. That might change however as we might not want one to hold back the other and vice versa so we really won’t be sure until we get the engine into full beta testing. That then brings us to what will come before the new engine in the form of the 17.9 update!

The 17.9 update will be a chance for us to add a lot of little additions we have wanted to do for some time and make some small tweaks, changes and fixes that have been lower on priority lists up till now. There will be some more changes to NPCs and quests on Rubi-Ka, including some that will point players to existing content and locations and flesh out the game world a little more as well as providing some more information about the current Dust Brigade storyline as you learn a little more about what they might be up to with their sudden interest in Xan technology. You should also find some new encounters out in the wilds of Rubi-Ka that might just be of interest. There will of course be the usual selection of fixes and changes to existing items and perks in the update.

We will have a full preview of the update in a few weeks time, and then hopefully have the update on the test-live dimension not long after that.

Please continue to keep the suggestions coming through your feedback mails and posts to the game suggestions forum. Many of the recent changes and features have come directly from your feedback and we are always on the lookout for the ideas that might work their way into the coming updates!

The main code feature we are currently working on is the addition of a true raid interface for the game. This will allow for up to six groups to be linked into one raid group that is considered a single entity and allows for its own chat channels, loot rules and visibility of members health and nano status. It’s currently in development and we haven’t slotted it into a specific update just yet. It might make the 17.9 update but we haven’t reached the testing stage with it yet so we will have to wait a little while before announcing which update it will be included in. This will also allow us to produce raid instanced playfields in the future just for the members of the raid and balanced for the numbers involved just as we have done with the single team instances.

So that’s a quick update on where we are at the moment. With the new engine and continued content updates I think it’s going to be another exciting year on Rubi-Ka! For those of you who celebrate it enjoy the Easter vacation and we will see you all on Rubi-Ka.
Mrfreeman
Big Leet

Post by Mrfreeman »

hum,, i like the raid force interface, but seems that it will then limit like pande raids and such to 6 teams and more FFA oriented to do seperate raids at once... and then like sector 42 where you need a large portion of the TL7 communinty to participate if you want to succeed. i have seen amny raids with more than 36 peeps :P
Once upon a wave of summer,
I saw a bright, blue, cloudless sky
Before I felt blessed with thunder,
Then I was nuked- the end is nigh
- Solidstriker (AO Forums)
caveman
Maxi Leet

Post by caveman »

my suggestion is to bring back the ingots that dropped from the hecks..this will hopefully stop nt's charging upto 7m per lvl in kite....that area is just getting out of hand imo
------------------------------------------------------
Hyde
Hyde!

Post by Hyde »

caveman wrote:my suggestion is to bring back the ingots that dropped from the hecks..this will hopefully stop nt's charging upto 7m per lvl in kite....that area is just getting out of hand imo
Wait. Hold on. Paying NTs for kiting is getting out of hand? Maybe ... don't get kited.

Seriously, people need to get back to levelling the old way. There is a LOT of things you learn about your toon at TL3, 4 and 5 that many TL7s no longer have a clue about.

Sorry, its a rant, but seriously ... oy. I'm actually not against bringing ingots back (its patently unfair that 1 player can own 20+ AI cities and have a monthly income in the billions when most players have a hard time scraping together a few hundred million). Ingots shouldn't ever have existed, but they did, and that can't be fixed now.

But to use the cost of kiting as a reasoning for bringing them back? Way too many people are kited for 1/2 their levels, or very close, and simply don't know how to play their toons well at TL7. This isn't an accusation levelled directly at you Cave, but ... wow.

If anything, the higher costs of kiting is a GOOD thing, as it stops people who don't already have high level mains from getting kited. Keep kiting limited to the people who have the capability to farm credits and you help prevent some of the heckn00bs flooding the game.

Either that or roll a NT on a second account so you can PL yourself.
Adoni
Strong Leet

Post by Adoni »

Hyde wrote:(its patently unfair that 1 player can own 20+ AI cities and have a monthly income in the billions when most players have a hard time scraping together a few hundred million)
I totally agree with that, I've never held more than 40m at one time (kinda sad)
mytefe
Big Leet

Post by mytefe »

adoni u can grind credz anytime u want.
u cant grind friends lol so make friends with an NT and go have some fun kiting and team mishes and stuff :D

36 ppl raid is good, wonder if u can join 2 raid teams and have 72.
I have been in wars with more ppl that 36 per side. so for wars is good i think, even for team mish!! roll ql 250+ and go 2 teams (12 ppl ) for fun!!! lol
low levels could ding on 1 mob if 36 ppl kill mob hehehe
36 lvl 14 traders Vs 1 lvl250 mob ftw!!!!
A freshly picked BLUE rose for j00
<3
Adoni
Strong Leet

Post by Adoni »

mytefe wrote:adoni u can grind credz anytime u want.
lies! :lol:

WoW is actually pretty fun, been playing it lately
Last edited by Adoni on Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mophro
Giant Leet

Post by Mophro »

Adoni wrote: WoW is actually pretty fun, been playing it lately
What?!?!
Mophro - man of few words - word!
Pass the salt please.
mytefe
Big Leet

Post by mytefe »

its lots of fun!!!
lvl 62 warlock and lvl 5 rogue :D best graphics and sound 100fps average, pvp!!!!!! lots of battlegounds, Fishing!!!! Swim underwater!!! no twinking just get better lvl locked items. u can ding easy, blizzard has changed the xp for mobs and quests so u can get to "end game "and enjoy the 40 man raids and stuff much quicker!!! soo many dungeons and instances!!!!
10 day free trail for USA
14 day free trial (buy dvd for £1.50) for EU ( but u can DL USA client and play 10 days free, like me for 2 months lol)
lvl cap for free trial is lvl 20

BUT ITS NOT AS GOOD AS ANARCHY ONLINE!!!!!!!! NO IT IS NOT!!!
when graphics engine ever happens then AO WILL be the best
A freshly picked BLUE rose for j00
<3
dpidcoe
Strong Leet

Post by dpidcoe »

mytefe wrote:no twinking just get better lvl locked items.
and thats one of my biggest complaints about WoW :(

(this topic got derailed fast btw)
Rulzern
King Size Leet

Post by Rulzern »

HALP!
Alphacenta
Leetissimo!

Post by Alphacenta »

OMG..

I used to play with that when I was a kid. Exactly that stuff.
Lupusceleri L220/24 Agent.
Silversmith upcoming TL5 twink.
Wolfseye L110/12 Adventurer (towertwink).
Lysdexic L90/9 Agent (Mimic Enf towertwink).
Aesculapias L21/2 Doctor (ancient).

Aaaand various other alts.
Mud
Leetissimo!

Post by Mud »

Alphacenta wrote:OMG..

Used to? admit it, you have a set on your desk right now!
Daddyrabbit 220/30 ENFStuff
Sillanto
Leetissimo!

Post by Sillanto »

Alphacenta wrote:OMG..

Same, I loved Brio!!! wish i still had my set lol :(
You want it made ..... See me
You want it broken ... See me
You want it fixed....... Send your hampster to FC
dpidcoe
Strong Leet

Post by dpidcoe »

I used to have a bunch of Brio stuff, my grandpa had a woodshop and he'd make me track for it, I loved making train crashes :twisted:

and back on topic: