Comments on the new forums

General messages, related to AP or AO. (All users can read)
core
King Size Leet

Re: Comments on the new forums

Post by core »

Well I have to agree that fixed width is a bit of a problem in 1920x1200

however its very good looking on my opera 9.5 pda/phone but I m sure that non fixed width would be ok on it as well.
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Nobody replied by the way: you like to read a text of 50 lignes with each line 1900 pixels long?! :shock:

Side note: Still working...
Hyde
Hyde!

Post by Hyde »

Chrisax wrote:Nobody replied by the way: you like to read a text of 50 lignes with each line 1900 pixels long?! :shock:

Side note: Still working...
Yes.

a) I use a slightly larger font, so the text isn't tiny, in fact its about the size it would be on a 1280x1024 monitor.

b) If the forum is fixed width I have to scroll twice as much to read the exact same amount of content.

c) The old forums were 100% width ... I had years to get used to it ;)

Overall it is much easier for my eyes to read this way than to read a thinner format.

But the other themes are working fine in the meantime.

PS. I haven't had a chance to load the forums on my Blackberry yet, will do that next time I'm in town.
Hyde
Hyde!

Re: Forums theme

Post by Hyde »

Hyde wrote: Additionally since I use even larger fonts on my system the fixed width is breaking a bit. "Last visit was: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:33 am It is currently Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:10 pm" both fall outside the grey area on my screen as do many of the buttons on the action bar.

I'm sure all of that is because I have my screen fonts enlarged slightly because of the size of my monitor, since if I use control+mousewheel to shrink the browser window by 1 size it all fits magically.
I finally upgraded to FF3 today and switched to the AP theme to check it out again. FF3 changed mouse scrollwheel scaling, it no longer changes the scale of elements within a CSS container but instead scales the entire page image as a whole.

That combined with me using 1 size larger font scale means I can't even control+scroll to fix the problem with the text in my screenshot earlier breaking out past the boundary and the 'AP Video' button breaking onto a line below.

I'm sure larger fonts aren't common, but I doubt I'm the only person who uses them. I can even think of a certain AP forums developer who could possible benefit from it ;)
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

:chrisdidit:

Hyde, Core, Sillanto................ and all the other mutants with eyes at the extremities of your long antennas... Variable size Athen Paladins Theme for forums on giant oversized monitors from Hell, you wanted, hey?!
[/size][/b]
  :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: No sleep for me, hey?! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Hexyyyyyyyy!!!!! Hyde is bad with m33333h !
Hahahahaha you wanted to mess with me?! Loook --------> :croc:

Variable size Athen Paladins Theme...
But WHEN I WANT ! Like tomorrow.

And, yes, I'm very sleepy and tired, and I'll KoS j00 all !
Hyde
Hyde!

Post by Hyde »

I never said do it now :P

We have viable alternatives in Subsilver2, and I can probably go find a variable width dark theme for further comfort. You don't need to change a thing for me :)
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Looks like I scared you, Hyde? :roll:
Hyde
Hyde!

Post by Hyde »

I just don't want you coming back from your "break" without any rest ;)
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Hyde wrote:I just don't want you coming back from your "break" without any rest ;)
Too late!

A Athen Paladins VARIABLE version of the Athen Paladins style is now available.

You can select it in the User's control Panel, Board Preferences.

As far as I could test, the board can be stretched perfectly if you maximize your browser window on very large screens made by and for mutants..

A "splip over" background has been added to the logo zone so the main logo doesn't look lost in the header whne you stretch the window. (I can probably create a better adaptable background but not now.)

On the other hand, if you try to shrink your browser window (but why would you do it, except to bother me?!) to less than 95% of the size of the main logo, the logo itself won't resize (no biggie) and at some step, the "Last visit / Current date" lines will jump progressively out of the board. The forums themselves will remain perfect.

If you use the zoom functions of Firefox 3 and IE7:
  • - The forums themselves should always be OK.

- Some issues may appear at high zoom levels in the header only:
    • - On Firefox 3, you can zoom to the third zoom level included (which is already nice) and all will be OK. At level 4, the logo exceed the limits of the board. At level 5, the "Last visit / Current date" lines will jump progressively out of the board, and the butons bar under the logo won't scale properly (the rightmost buttons wrap to the line below). The forums themselves will remain perfect.

- On IE7, all is perfect up to the 400% zoom level (the max), except the "slip over" logo background is not properly scaled and positioned. But you probably don't zoom to look at the logo zone!
I might be able to fix this, or not. But the zoom functions are totally proprietary and don't care about web standards. So this won't be on my priority list, sorry. Issues that could make variable forums unsealable would of course be e priority.

And now, good night! :)
Mardonge
Big Leet

Post by Mardonge »

You, dear president, sir.... Are a very scary person...
  Should I call the men with the white coats?  
caveman
Maxi Leet

Post by caveman »

Hexy and Hyde have C.O.D :P.the new forums are awesome chris,
chris..is there a way to allow flash sigs on the forums ?
------------------------------------------------------
Fixzill
Little Leet

Post by Fixzill »

^^ Nice work :D , =D> :chrisdidit:
core
King Size Leet

Post by core »

Thanks Chris now take a real break and stop fiddling with the forum all in good time hehe
Works fine in high resolution btw just tried it :)

Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Thank you all, and thanks for the screenshot and testing, Core. :)

Cavey:
caveman wrote:Hexy and Hyde have C.O.D :P.the new forums are awesome chris,
chris..is there a way to allow flash sigs on the forums ?
Yes cavey. It's extremely simple.

1. Type the URL
  2. Select it
  3. Press the "Flash" button in the format post commands (it's with all the others buttons). (When your mouse is over the button, you'll see the Tip Line showing you the format of the code)
  4. Enter the width and height parameters (only you can know)
  5. You're done
For example with your URL, here are the instructions (click "Show"):

Code: Select all

**You type**
http://www.visual-realizations.com/Signatures/Swish_Signatures/lordluther.swf

**You select it and click the FLASH button and get**
[flash=]http://www.visual-realizations.com/Signatures/Swish_Signatures/lordluther.swf[/flash]

**You enter the width and the height (you know them) in this format:
[flash=WIDTH,HEIGHT]URL[/flash]
**Note there is NO space after the ","**

**For example, with 500 and 180:**
[flash=500,180]http://www.visual-realizations.com/Signatures/Swish_Signatures/lordluther.swf[/flash]
Here is the result.

If it's for a signature, please don't link to things that are long to load because they would slow down the display of each thread. This Flash above was quite long to load. In this case, you can ask me to place a Flash on our own servers and link to it directly. :)
Calen
Maxi Leet

Post by Calen »

Chrisax wrote: And, yes, I'm very sleepy and tired, and I'll KoS j00 all !
Chris you better than all should know we do not have a KoS policy in AP, shame shame, especially org mates!!!!