Forums are back but what with the look ? ?

General messages, related to AP or AO. (All users can read)
Chrisax
President

Forums are back but what with the look ? ?

Post by Chrisax »

So the forums are back after one day but with quite an anonymous look.

I had to fix a third-party accident but it was not possible to use again our legacy "GUI" after the reparations.

Don't worry: we have something nice that was already in the making, but not yet finished. :wink:

A few functions are not available anymore like the "mark unread" for posts and PMs,and some smileys must be re-implemented. Also some features to highlight text or for text layout are gone. But new functions will appear too, with replacements when possible.

So what happened?

We asked the datacenter techs to check for the cause of a slow-down. So they did, and it seems fixed (routing?). But there was a confusion (I assume) with another ticket of someone else, and, in a row, someone also kindly performed an update of the PHP language that makes the forums work along with some stuff. (We don't ask for software maintenance.) Nice but no... Our stuff was not compatible with a very recent version, and that caused several issues. Folding back to our previous version couldn't fix all those issues. So I had to restart from scratch, perform a massive update, and add a new software over our 20ish-years old legacy data and history that I preserved, so we could be up again very fast.

So we're on a temporary solution at the moment, bit working. :)
Scykeep
Big Leet

Re: Forums are back but what with the look ? ?

Post by Scykeep »

you know that you have no choice but to join discord so we can communicate incase of any future forum issues again ;D
Nanomace
Maxi Leet

Post by Nanomace »

Scykeep wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:17 am you know that you have no choice but to join discord so we can communicate incase of any future forum issues again ;D
It can be for 'emergency use only' and I will teach you how to mute all notifications
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Update:

I re-implemented:

- avatars, so everyone should have their avatars back, and everyone can pick up avatars in the galleries in User's control panel, or upload one

- all the special smileys, and especially the funny ones and the AP-specific ones
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Update:

- Attachments are back in old posts and new ones can be made
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Update:

- reinstalled a security check for registration, asking a random question about AO
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Please post if you see anything not working properly! Thanks :)
Hyde
Hyde!

Post by Hyde »

Looks good :)
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Hyde wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:21 amLooks good :)
O M G H y d e :mrgreen: I didn't expect that.

It's awesome to see you! You don't how many times I think "what would have Hyde said?!" about both silly things and serious ones. :)

No use to say that we miss you, right?!.

I still hope that, one day, you might find circumstances that would allow you to be back somewhat on RK...
Ustarlen
Leetissimo!

Post by Ustarlen »

Hyde lives
Hyde
Hyde!

Post by Hyde »

Chrisax wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:33 am
Hyde wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:21 amLooks good :)
It's awesome to see you! You don't how many times I think "what would have Hyde said?!" about both silly things and serious ones. :)

No use to say that we miss you, right?!.

I still hope that, one day, you might find circumstances that would allow you to be back somewhat on RK...

The answer to what I would have said: always the grouchiest wisdom

Mud and I joked about maybe doing a pop-in sometime but nothing definite got planned. I'm sure we'll revive our logins at some point for a hello.

But I was quite happy to see the new forums, the layout looks good.
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

We'll be happy to see you and Mud :D Not rush. The coming months are going to be busy IRL for me. But come back, really! There are many new faces you would really like I guess. Not counting the old ones!

I manage to get forums up again very fast. It's better than I hope I could do in emergency. I have more sophisticated in my sleeve but seeing the positive reactions so far, I'm pondering.