NEW ENGINE: some new textures for armors

General messages, related to AP or AO. (All users can read)
Chrisax
President

NEW ENGINE: some new textures for armors

Post by Chrisax »

The pictures will SWITCH between old and new textures! Wait a few seconds to see the new ones.

Phoenix
Strong Leet

Re: NEW ENGINE: some new textures for armors

Post by Phoenix »

Technically speaking it's not really related to the engine. They're just adding more updated textures which will be added before the engine as they have done before (flowers tech armour for instance). They may look better still with the new engine or optimized for later use in the new engine but don't remember seeing that being said.
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

The room for post titles is too small to reflect all the aspects of a topic, thanks for pointing out the need for details. :)

The reason they are already adding textures made with the new engine in mind even if they are not rendered as well as they will be by the new engine is -it has been mentioned- to avoid a huge download the day they released the new engine: many textures will already be there.*

That said, the reason they are redoing textures is the new engine which will be able to use them better than the current engine, and, for several features, higher resolution and better textures are mandatory or highly desirable. (For example bump mapping, or some glowing effects or blur effects to use generic terms)

New textures are of course less related to the new engine than new models are (those ones can in general only be implemented with the new engine), but they still are. And it's the reason why they are redoing them now, even if the current engine can use better textures than the ones on RK, see for example Shadowlands').

* And to be honest this is also a way to see (to some degree) "live" if an error has not been made with textures
Hyde
Hyde!

Post by Hyde »

The pessimist in me feels that these are more to keep people on the hook for the new engine. The people doing the engine coding would not be the texture people. Seeing new textures doesn't really give any insight into current progress on the new engine.

They -do- look good. But I'd be a lot more interested in hearing "we have X effects done and Y effects left to go, Z seems to be the area we need to work on the most now".
Hundfu
Leet

Post by Hundfu »

What Hyde said.
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Hyde, you're right: of course showing textures and models in the making is a way to keep people hooked. (And I think it was also somehow Phoenix's point.)

But honestly we would do the same, as it's a nice thing to show. :)

That said, you're also right about information on the engine itself. From what I understand after some chats, there are several reasons for that (note this is my understanding and not an official statement):

- they don't want to say something very specific or show anything as they did when they first started with the non-FC Ogre engine (the video) until they are sure they can deliver it; they trapped themselves once and they don't want a second time

- the engine would be quite ready (?) but lacks appropriate data (textures, models,...) and also the whole the Dreamworld engine series (AoC, The Secret World, and now AO, even if they are somewhat separate branches) is more or less always improved (something they couldn't do when only one game was concerned

- Effects seem to be ported well (?) which was not at all the case with the Ogre engine (full rewriting mandatory), as the Dreamworld engine is somehow a child of the AO engine. At least, they wouldn't encounter any major issue. (?). Also, currently they are working on vegetation.

Last but not least, people working on textures and models are not the ones working on the engine, unless casual exceptions.

I also heard a joke according to which making AO 2 would be easier sometimes.

Ah and, well, moving to Montreal didn't help with speed.

I do agree, it's long and a bit foggy...
Mortus
Maxi Leet

Post by Mortus »

So Chrisax, will you go back to So8 helmet once the new engine releases with nice new textures?
AP :wub:
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Of course, just to make Hyde mad: :twisted: