NEW ENGINE: many new pictures

General messages, related to AP or AO. (All users can read)
Chrisax
President

NEW ENGINE: many new pictures

Post by Chrisax »

The following pictures are rendered in the new "Dreamworld Cheetah" engine that will be used for AO.
More accurately, it's a simulation of the engine in an Autodesk Studio 3D FC-proprietary plug-in.
(To avoid importing into the game to see how it looks each time).

Pictures are in full format, so quite big, click on show to see them. :)
Set of buildings for Borealis

Rocks

Shacks

Rome entrance

A wall

Another wall

Screen

Omni structures

Bridge (Omni)

Trees

Tree

Items and weapons

A new nanomage model
(The hat doesn't look like fitting the head but it's a problem of shadows rendering ATM)
Mortus
Maxi Leet

Re: NEW ENGINE: many new pictures

Post by Mortus »

Nice. That last armor on the nanomage looks awesome :)
AP :wub:
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Hyde
Hyde!

Post by Hyde »

Mortus wrote:Nice. That last armor on the nanomage looks awesome :)
Looks like armor from Beast.

However, 3D plugin != new engine ... I know, I know, semantics ... but what makes ALL of those images look great is the shader ... a shader that you can't realistically get in the new engine due to needing it to be real-time. The improved textures and models make the pictures look very good, but the shader is what makes them pop.

Any word, at all, on when it will actually beta or launch?
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Correct, the armor the NM is wearing is the revamped beast armor. Good guess, Hyde: =D>

As for the shader, of course, static rendering and dynamic rendering are not the same thing. The final result will depend a lot on what the AO branch of the Cheetah Dreamworld will retain from the main development tree. When they use the plug-in for AoC, and then compare with the in-game result, honestly there is no disappointment even if it's not the same thing, because we don't watch it the same way: the image is moving. Now, if of course you stop the image and compare, the render in the plug-in is better (but in this case lacks some stuff, like glowing eyes for nanomages).

Just to get an idea (and I am NOT saying we'll have this in AO, or worse or better, NOTHING), here are two screenshots taken in the Dreamworld Cheetah engine with less than average (I mean it!) options: basically it's set on purpose to be able to run on a 5+ years old computer with AGP video and the jpeg format eats a bit of the result. (But don't expect you'll run correctly the land of Kithai expansion with it, though.)

As for the beta, they still expect sometimes this summer as far as I know. My feeling is they really don't want to show anything that they couldn't deliver in the end. So they are over-cautious. Just my two cents here.

All that said, Hyde had a point on AO forums in a recent post: the engine will draw people back and will make some stay for a while but the game will need new content.
Mortus
Maxi Leet

Post by Mortus »

Oh Beast armor? I thought it was Biodome.
AP :wub:
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.