I want to PVP... but not sure how to get started

General messages, related to AP or AO. (All users can read)
noobas
Leetissimo!

I want to PVP... but not sure how to get started

Post by noobas »

To all those Awesome Org and Alliance Members who want to get involved, but don't know how.

I write this thread for two reasons:

1. Anarchy Online is an awesome social game, and, the PVP raids/wars are the most awesome social activity available
2. Clans need re-invigoration! We're sliding into complacency and Omni will take advantage... :(

To get started with PVP, there are a few activities you can do:

1. Friendly duels with mates with /duel draw (for funsies, no losers :) )
2. Friendly sparring with mates in city silo or tir arena
3. Real duels with mates/others to skill test
4. Battlestation
5. Tara
6. War

Options 1 through 4 are non-risk PVP. That means, that there is no significant loss or gain by doing them, and, in general, nothing is accomplished except for hopefully gaining slightly more comfort with your toons toolset. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do them, or do them a lot, it just means that they are different from 5 and 6.

Tara and War

Lets just start with an analogy: Where dueling and battlestation is like running around ely killing random mobs, Tara and War is like getting your best mates together and doing a Pande raid.

The difference, is of course, the social aspect. Yes, you might run into a buddy in battlestation, or find a team and zerg a few random omnis, but, they just don't compare to working in a tight knit group of guys who function as a single cohesive unit, with of course, the verbal banter and chatter that comes from having that somewhat personal relationship.

Now, I can draw all kinds of interesting connections to how these subtle differences in PVP activities are actually very similar to real life relationships, but, we don't need to go into detail on the philosophy of it. Lets just say, that, in AO, the same as real life, when you share experiences with people when risk is involved, you are much more likely to form lasting bonds of friendship.

So, it's time to stop horsing around in Ely, and grab some mates, and join the circle of friends.

The First Step

Commitment. PVP in AO is like a beautiful woman, but, to win her heart, takes patience, practice, and, above all, persistence. Commitment is extremely important, because, like all good things in life (and AO), nothing worth having, comes easily.

If you decide, early on in your AO career to persue PVP, it will come as no surprise that the knowledge gained by attempting it early on will result in knowledge that can be applied later on, and, usually with moderate success. The beauty of PVP in AO, is that you can jump in at any time, and, be useful. But, to be really useful, and be part of the ebb and flow of the tide that separates the crowd surviving from the crowd at reclaim, is learned in two different theatres:
1. in PVP activities 1-4, and
2. By research.

Is it all that complex?

Well, thats a good point. Just as raiding Pande only requires working knowledge of your profession and a basic ability to press a few buttons, to be a mindless drone in PVP is the same. You could spend your entire AO PVP career pressing /assist , O. And you, no doubt, would be welcomed warmly. But, that would be like raiding pande with just an enforcer, doctor, crat and sold. Sure, everyone has done it, but, is it all that much challenge? Probably not. So, the answer is: If you WANT to do more... then lets take the red pill.

Team PVP vs. singles

Team PVP is a completely different animal than 1 on 1. Lets use a quick analogy, again, 1 on 1 PVP is like a math test and team vs team is like .. hmm, well, it's like pure excitement (I can't think of soemthing it's "like" theres nothing really "like" it. it's just awesome though :).

The reasoning is simple: in 1 on 1, everything is about statistics, and probabilities:

* When does the advy pop DOF?
* Will my blockers refresh in time?
* can I force him to coon?
* what percentage of hits will land on me during ES?
* can I reduce my HP to lower the capped hits?
* how much crit resist does he have?
* can I cap an aimed shot?
* will he be able to land UBT through my NR?
Etc.. each fight is a series of questions you have to be able to answer in time to beat your opponent before he beats you.

In TEAM PVP, on the other hand, the statistics break down, the questions break down, and all thats remaining is:
* Should I use my perks and specials on this target?
* Should I reassist?
* If I'm called, what should I do to stay alive?

Those are the three MOST important questions that need to be asnwered while pvping in a team environment. Of course, several things factor into these questions: How good are our callers? what prof have they called? If I try to perk this person, will those perks land? etc. And, thats when experience comes into play. Understanding who is a crat, and fixer, vs who is a engi or doctor, are critical, but, this knowledge comes with time :)

The last question, of course, is a difficult one to answer... sometimes, you can't do anything except hope a doctor or two can help you. Sometimes, though, calling someone who is reactive, and has some great buffs running, can play SERIOUS hell on the opposing force, by staying alive a LOT longer than they should :). One time, for example, I jumped behind boxes at Tara, and, omni tired to kill me for, i'm not kidding, more than a minute. (for the record, most fights, once youre called, last between 2-10 seconds), and, in that minute, Clan was able to annihilate about 20 omnies, and, of course we won.

So, you've committed, and now you want some action

Here's a few commands to help you get started:

/tell warsrus invite

/tell tarakill invite

These bots are used to help our members work together to fight omni.

Here are some commands to help you get organized:

!lft this will put you on a list so that the Raidleader can pick you up off LFT (you must also type /lft to GET on the LFT page)
!callers this will produce a macro you can click to get the callers, it will look like this /macro kill /assist Bob \n /assist Jane\n /assist Mary
!warp this will put you on a list so that the Raidleader knows you want a warp! makes getting to site a lot easier :)
!rally or !topic this is where the group will rally prior to running in

The new bots were created to help new people get organized, and help clan manage a raid force more easily. There is also a point system built in to promote coming out to help on clan wars: !raid join this will join you in the raid, if there is one currently running. Points can be redeemed through the tarakill bot, when clan wins tara: points are used to bid on items, such as Dragonchest armour, or a Robust backpack, or the Edge of Tarasque.

These are the Basics of getting involved with PVP at a war/tara level.
" I Don't Like That Man. I Must Get To Know Him Better." -Abraham Lincoln