SSD big issues - I'll be back asap - plz inform ppl

General messages, related to AP or AO. (All users can read)
Chrisax
President

SSD big issues - I'll be back asap - plz inform ppl

Post by Chrisax »

I got this issue but looks worse.

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State ... td-p/95087

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State ... td-p/88350

Not sure I can fix it, maybe I'll need to full install on the new SSD I had just (lucklily bought)

I can crash anytime so starting to work on a solution. See you all :D
Chrisax
President

Re: SSD big issues - I'll be back asap - plz inform ppl

Post by Chrisax »

It seems I fixed it with the method mentioned in one the links above. Although I had to do it twice (maybe I made an error the first time but I doubt it).

I had to reconfigure the BIOS ttoo, so it recognizes (not sure what click decided it to do it) and boots on the SSD.

I also upgraded the firmware of the SSD to the last version with the Crucial utility which is a breeze.

I'm testing ATM to see if it works normally. If you don't see me, then, the answer is "no".
Hyde
Hyde!

Post by Hyde »

Sounds almost identical to my SSD bug from months ago that ate my customized AO UI. Fingers crossed. Upgrading my SSD BIOS cured it.
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Crossing fingers. I'll try to connect a moment to a game or another to test. That made me lose hours and hours: no raids in AP, not work on AP site and our site for TSW.... ](*,) Murphy was there...
Kilajan
Strong Leet

Post by Kilajan »

I got a OCZ-Vertex 3, and my computer freezes up sometimes. (crashing). The guys at the store told me to upgrade the bios first, then update the firmware on the SSD. Problem with updating the firmware on the SSD drive is that you can't run Windows (OS) on it when your doing it. So you got to use another system. Witch I don't have at the moment.

If i just press "reset" on the computer, the bios wont find the disk. So I have to shut the computer down completely. The start it up again, go in bios and reset the devise.

Hopefully that will solve my problems when I get around to fix it.
They who seek, will find an answer.

"If the tank dies it the healers fault, if the healer dies its the tanks fault and if the DPS die it's their own damn fault" - "Anonymous"
Malosar
Maxi Leet

Post by Malosar »

I had that exact bug with my Crucial M4 on my HTPC, so it only surfaced after having it for quite some time. Thankfully a quick google search uncovered that firmware patch and it fixed in immediately with no loss of data. My new PC has a Crucial M4 as well and made sure it had the latest firmware (which it does).
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Yeah it's a common thing. 5200 hours of use is the critical time, more or less. (I was at 5300+)

I saw it's even worse for OCZ.

Grats to Crucial for their firmware update utility that is able to start from Windows (then reboots the computer and continues the work.) It was a real breeze.

I hope it's really fixed now.
Hyde
Hyde!

Post by Hyde »

Mine with the issue was Corsaid Force 3 ... updating was simple, ran a .exe in Windows and it updated. No reboot was required. Fixed it for me.

Only problem was ... I had to reinstall my system 4 times in a week because of the issue before I got the idea that it was a SSD BIOS issue. Ahhhhh ... we're so spoiled that regular platter drives are a very stable tech.
Malosar
Maxi Leet

Post by Malosar »

At least I waited till the last year or so before delving into SSDs. I've always kept track of technology and keeping updated on forums etc. and the horror stories with SSDs when they were first being widely used definitely put me off (also the insane prices and low capacities had a lot to do with it :) )

At least we're below $1/gig now and they're much more stable.
Kilajan
Strong Leet

Post by Kilajan »

I got a linux (debian) server running here tho. or i can just ask a friend. ;)
They who seek, will find an answer.

"If the tank dies it the healers fault, if the healer dies its the tanks fault and if the DPS die it's their own damn fault" - "Anonymous"