Huge attacks on datacenter causing issues with our web site

General messages, related to AP or AO. (All users can read)
Chrisax
President

Huge attacks on datacenter causing issues with our web site

Post by Chrisax »

Since Friday April 17, the datacenters we use for most web applications (not bots) have been attacked by hundreds of thousands IP addresses (mostly Chinese ones) sending millions of packets by second.

This caused several issues and made sites possibly not responding.

It's not possible to simply filter hundreds of thousands IP addresses. Other temporary methods had to be implemented, and permanent methods are now being implemented. The solutions seem to more or less work so far but new waves of attacks are incoming, so we may have issues again.

It's also the reason why we use several datacenters to host web and bots: it's almost impossible to take us down totally.

Nevertheless, it's the third time in roughly one year that we see such attacks from China (one from India, but lesser).

It's impossible to really know the reasons for those attacks.

On the other hand, such attacks, by their structure, size, and duration, are necessarily highly organized ones and are totally out of the reach of a smart individual hacker (in the negative meaning of the term) or of a group of hackers. (It's beyond what a group like Anonymous has ever been able to perform, for example.)

I'll let best-sellers authors, screenplay writers, and journalists elaborate theories. But there is something seriously rotten somewhere.
enakur
Leet

Re: Huge attacks on datacenter causing issues with our web site

Post by enakur »

Good to hear this from you.

I did hear off more sites being attacked the past week. Is the datacenter that is being used, also used for other bigger companies?
Chrisax
President

Re: Huge attacks on datacenter causing issues with our web site

Post by Chrisax »

I don't think this specific datacenter is used by very big companies but it can be use by things like human rights associations or such that are annoying for some, or smaller companies that, for some reasons are a target... or it's something more complicated. As I said, no way to really know.