Trying to quit... (Not AO :P )

The only place for non AO-related topics.
Ceokittymeow
Giant Leet

Trying to quit... (Not AO :P )

Post by Ceokittymeow »

5-16-09
5:42PM EST

Well since i woke up this morning i have not had a cigarette... that was 4 hours ago...

I want to write about it in hope of maybe getting some moral support behind me so that i don't mess up... I been smoking since i was 11 (am 25 now) and smoking about a pack and a half a day up to now. It has wreaked havoc on my lungs and cost me a fortune. With the US government putting a huge tax increase on tobacco (about 50% increase of current tax) I believe it is time to stop wasting my money and start getting my lungs healthy again.

So here i will place my journal about my ups and downs (hopefully not downs) and finally, Wish me luck please :) will need alot of it

Thanks for being such the great family that i don't have the luxury irl

~Kitty
Last edited by Ceokittymeow on Mon May 18, 2009 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Politically Correct is like Tyranny with manners!
Rulzern
King Size Leet

Re: Trying to quit...

Post by Rulzern »

Good luck Meow! Great decision you've made. :D
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Good luck Kitty. It's a great decision. It can only be positive for you in the end.

Only you can do it. It depends on you but don't forget to ask a good doc, specialized in tobacco addiction, for advice and help. Don't believe commercials; listen to docs. They can't make you stop but they can help.
Ceokittymeow
Giant Leet

Post by Ceokittymeow »

5-16-09
7:47pm EST

Well ty for the support so far guys...

I hid my cigarette maker and my tubes so i don't get tempted... I have already reached several times for the stuff to make cigarettes several times not to see it. Also i have gotten up to smoke a butt at the window but forgot that i quit and just sit back down...

Will be ruff as i am already feeling weird... Hopefully i can kick this...

Will keep everyone up to date :)

~Kitty
Alphacenta
Leetissimo!

Post by Alphacenta »

Good luck man, great decision. :) Hope it works for you!

Could have chosen a different title though, I thought you were leaving AO at first. :shock:

Signed, someone who has never smoked a cigarette (and never will) .:)
Lupusceleri L220/24 Agent.
Silversmith upcoming TL5 twink.
Wolfseye L110/12 Adventurer (towertwink).
Lysdexic L90/9 Agent (Mimic Enf towertwink).
Aesculapias L21/2 Doctor (ancient).

Aaaand various other alts.
Forcenum
Big Leet

Post by Forcenum »

Good luck man. You can do this!!
Forcenum - 220/25/63 Enfo - Retired
Anumirath - 200/25/54 Meta - One man Army
Saidin - 205/19/55 Keeper - DD in the making
Frontforce - 150/13/30 Soldier - Sector 10 bountyhunter
Grind42
Leetissimo!

Post by Grind42 »

Biting your nails yet!!! :-)

You the second person to quit smoking this month, that I know of....

Go Go Kitty, Im also considering just doing it, its such a terrible habit. Extreme waste of money as you pointed out maybe I will have the occasional cigar. One of my housemates smokes Hubbly aparently its a little healthier & less expensive.
If its not broken, Your not trying hard enough!!

-DC-Grind42-Nightcrawler-
Damage Clan
General of Athen Paladins
Ceokittymeow
Giant Leet

Post by Ceokittymeow »

5-18-09
12:45am EST

I never felt failure then just a little while ago...

Yep thats right i had a smoke, though i kicked myself in the ass and snuffed it half way through... I swear it was a feeling of guilt, failure and loss of moral aptitude. So for that i apologize to you guys...

Well no more! As of 5 min ago i took all my cigarette making stuff, tobacco and all and trashed it in the dumpster outside... Im done... Im done feeling like i failed you guys let alone myself...

Second chance time and the bridge is burning...

Wish me luck... Im gonna beat this... PERIOD!

~kitty
Ceokittymeow
Giant Leet

Re: Trying to quit... (Not AO :P )

Post by Ceokittymeow »

5-18-09
1:05am EST

Double post ftw!

Got a slap in the face, from a Fortune Cookie no less...

"Today is probably a huge improvement over yesterday"

Hows that for pseudo Chinese philosophy!? Seriously, I mean the only thing that could top that is my future self coming back to the past to kick my ass!

Anyways... lets try this again shall we!?

~Kitty
Forcenum
Big Leet

Post by Forcenum »

Go kitty GO! =D>
Forcenum - 220/25/63 Enfo - Retired
Anumirath - 200/25/54 Meta - One man Army
Saidin - 205/19/55 Keeper - DD in the making
Frontforce - 150/13/30 Soldier - Sector 10 bountyhunter
Elrojo
BacoTroll

Post by Elrojo »

Kitty. This is what i tell all my patients

First of all its bad to look at quitting smoking like a pass or fail, you have to be REALISTIC.

To do so encourages the mentality of "being a failure". Instead look at smoking cessation as a "trend". for example, If you want to quit you should look at it over a weekly period, or even look smaller and say daily. Depending on how much you smoked then any less than what your normal "trend" is will be a good day/week. You should aim to cut down gradually say 20% less over a 2-3 week period. After 2-3 weeks of doing this you then redefine what your new "trends" are. So then if after 2-3 weeks you have cut down you do the same all over again. This way if your dependance overwhelms you then you dont think of it as the end of the world. Remember quitting smoking is a long process designed to make the rest of your life healthier and longer. If it takes you the average quit time (no less than 12 weeks) to quit, but it sticks, then it is better to have smoked in a reduced capacity over that time then to try and quit in one week then taking it up 2 weeks later because you "failed".

Secondly its all about motivation and rewards. If you are motivated strongly about the financial gain that is ok, but few people actually quit because they can't afford it. What i suggest financially is to put aside the money you would have spent on smoking and use it (in the short term) to do something you like doing or spoil yourself a bit. That way you associate the money you have saved by not smoking with enjoyable things, rather than seeing the money as a barrier to smoking.

What you need to do is think about all the "other" reasons why quitting is a good idea, write them down, put them somewhere you can see it everyday. This way you have a better chance to quit. Dont put on things like "cancer, ischemic heart disease, diabetes mellitis type 2, reflux, hypertension, coronary vascular disease", these are all "end point" consequences that no one ever thinks about and are poor motivation for the "right now" situation.

You need to remember that your body is working against you very hard. Over time your body increases the amount of "receptors" for nicotine if you smoke. The longer you dont smoke the less receptors you have and thus cravings are reduced. If you dont supply them with nicotine then you WILL get withdrawal symptoms. Its natural and not weak to have alot of cravings or even to give into them. Remember the fact that you are trying to quit is more than most people ever do. So that is already success number 1. Kitty 1 - smoking 0. The other thing to note is the duration of the average craving is very short. Distraction is very good.

Things to help you physically.... Nictotine replacement therapy (NRT)

Ok so there is a miriad of cessation aids to help you quit, and some of them arent half bad. Firstly due to your long history of smoking something immediate acting will be best. Lozenges or Gum or the inhaler (dont use the inhaler). Dont use patches as you will find they wont cover you very well and you will find you cant be as flexible with them.

If you go with the gum the recommended maxiumum daily dose is 39mg. Long term smokers hae a higher tolerance but try to stay under that or you can get nausea, reflux, tremors and agitation. To use the gum chew it until it is soft then plug it between your teeth and your cheek. This is called the Buccal membrane. Its the fastest way to get a medication into your system other than injection. If you chew it too much you will swallow the nicotine rather than absorb it. Every 15-20 mins chew an bit and relocate.

The other option is what you guys call Champtix. Its VERY successful, very well tolerated and a very good option if you try several times to quit but arent very successful.

Things not to do:
1) Replace the addiction with something else (eating, drinking etc)
2) Attempt negative motivation (everytime i smoke Army will punch me)
3) Attempt to quit too fast (highest relapse rates)
4) Think cold turkey is the ONLY option
5) Quit without consulting your doctor if you take other prescribed meds (smoking affects ALOT of other medications... very true)
6) think you are the only person who has to try to quit more than once.

Everyone has a friend of a friend or uncle or sister who quit cold turkey with no problems. But everyone know 10 people who tried that and failed. You cannot compare yourself to the 10% of people who were lucky enough to make it stick.

Anyway i've bored you enough with all of that. Good luck mate, your body will thank you one day :)
Tealc
Big Leet

Post by Tealc »

Kitty, I understand what your going through. I tryed to quit several time but always ended up stressed about something and starting right back. Then my Grandfather told me he had never quit, I had never seen him smoke, he told me he was just seeing how long he could go without one. So I did the same thing I haven't quit just seein how long I can go without, that was 23 years ago. gl my friend. :D
I haven't lost my Mind, it's backed up on a disk Somewhere.

TealcDragon
faros1978
Giant Leet

Post by faros1978 »

You know my story , i have quited smoking at the same time as Army. Try to keep up bro!!!!!!!!
Ceokittymeow
Giant Leet

Post by Ceokittymeow »

5-18-09
2:28PM EST

Rojo... Where to insert my Medical Insurance card?

*begins sticking card in floppy drive*

That was a actually something i was looking for! I was trying to make an appointment with my Primary Care Provider but the office is packed for a good 2 months in advance. I will definatly try your idea Rojo as it reads as i could imagine my doctor telling me that.

As for a treatment, I might pick up some gum that's at our local pharmacy that helps with cravings. As for the Rx medication, there is Chantix, but my uncle went that route and was wickedly depressed and is he explained it as your mind betraying yourself. Also there has been some bad reviews in the US about the medication as it has lead to several suicides and other mental health related incidents. Also being of a weak mind, taking that medication will only make things worse for me.

But alas no cigarette yet :) Will keep all informed :)

~kitty
Bredin
Leetissimo!

Post by Bredin »

Great decision to quit, and good luck. I was a very heavy smoker for about 10 years, and have quit for about that long now. It took me a few times to finally quit, and once was even for 6 months.

The way i quit was cold turkey without any nicotine gum, patches, etc. I kept an unopened pack of marlborough reds in my desk drawer at home, with a lighter right there. I had the same setup at work, and in the glove compartment of my car. I did this because in my view quitting smoking is all about the willpower not to smoke, not whether or not you have smokes. My logic was that there would always be cigs around... either from friends or from the store on the corner or whatever.

One thing that helped me quit is to never ever cheat. Never 'just have one' or even have a drag of a smoke. The physical part of quitting only lasts a few days, a week at most. If you cheat then you get the chemical in your blood and you have to go through that again.

Anyway, you can do it, Kitty good luck :-)
General, Athen Paladins