Trying to quit... (Not AO :P )

The only place for non AO-related topics.
Grind42
Leetissimo!

Re: Trying to quit... (Not AO :P )

Post by Grind42 »

I have also been smoking for about 13 years, I quit a couple of years ago didnt smoke for just under 8moths went to the shops & got Hi-jacked by 3 guys... stupid teenagers, anyway I had a cigarette after that episode & then started up again.

Im with Bredin on this one I way prefer to go cold turkey, I am also going to try I woke up this morning & I have been sleeping with my door closed & windows open but the curtains kind of keep the smoke inside, anyway my room was smelly after playing AO last night & having like 4-6 cigarettes, butts laying in the ashtray. It was disgusting... so i fushed the last smokes I had & threw the empty pack away.

Been eating peanuts & winegums & drinking plenty juice non stop which is great cause I could use the extra weight, Im persistent & have will power so heres hoping I never touch another smoke again.

Rojo thanks for your post aswell btw I thought it was very inspirational. Thanks for sharing everyone.

We Paladins
We Can
We Will
Paladins Forever
If its not broken, Your not trying hard enough!!

-DC-Grind42-Nightcrawler-
Damage Clan
General of Athen Paladins
Ceokittymeow
Giant Leet

Post by Ceokittymeow »

5-18-09
8:17PM EST

woot woot Grind!

so now two of us quitting together!

Lets see if we can do this Grind, hell we will do this :)

Well its starting to hit me hard as I had a habit of smoking after i ate as a way of settling my stomache... Now i dont kow if that is true physically or is a mental feeling but eating is starting to suck as it goes sour after eating... Maybe i can find a replacement, a healthy on at that, for that feeling to go away
Politically Correct is like Tyranny with manners!
Grind42
Leetissimo!

Post by Grind42 »

Normal chewing gum, it will also increase digestive acids in your stomach so u will digest food faster.

Damage Clan
Polythemis
Growing Leet

Post by Polythemis »

Good luck Kitty !!!! In the middle of trying to stop using chewing tobacco once again. I have been using the nicotine gum, but if you are making it without you are better off. Because then you have to wean yourself off of the gum.

Hang in there!!!!
Sociopata
Mini Leet

Post by Sociopata »

Good luck Kitty:)
I'm still a smoker (3 years now) and not planning to quit ATM but some advice u may find useful:
- be careful with nicotine chewing gum. Some of my friends ended up smoking AND being addicted to this gum
- I once read an article by a guy that quit and he wrote that that he just woke up one day and thought "man it's so stupid to smoke, I don't relly need that, it gives no pleasure really" and he quit. However silly it may seem, the guy sounded convincing:)
- avoid coffee and alcohol (easy said harder done:D)
I'm holding my fingers crossed:)
good night and good luck
butrkup
Strong Leet

Post by butrkup »

Wow...I regret not having visited the forums for a while...I'm so glad to have found this thread. It's wonderful to see all the support from AP & everyone's stories. So inspiring--you guys are just wonderful :)

I have been quitting smoking now for about a month. It's something I don't like to talk about much because it's been such a difficult process...but it's getting better. I quit a few years ago cold turkey & pretty much had a nervous breakdown, so my doc & I are going slowly about it.

I'm so proud of Grind & Kitty--you guys are so strong & I applaud you!!!!! :happytrooper:

Don't want to hijack Kitty's thread, just am so glad to find support for this in AP. What a wonderful, loving, strong family we have here. I am proud to be a part of it. :)

:apc:
-Butr <3
May the laughter fill your glass,
May your disappointments pass,
May your illusions last until they shatter
noobas
Leetissimo!

Post by noobas »

I have no advice about this topic, but I will wish you the best in luck in dealing with the process.

I have one bit of advice about the power of the mind though, and it's very simple, you can't convince yourself of anything. But, often, the mind and the heart want different things (or mind and lungs, in this case), and the problem resides in the will to uphold the thing that the heart wants.

So, in your heart of hearts, you want to quit smoking, but the ever active mind convinces you, your hands, to light another. Your mind is the culprit.

Put your mind to rest, and let your heart take over. Let your heart will you to stop. And then, when your heart rules your mind, your mind will have no power to make your hands do anything.

So, next time you "feel" like a cigarette, ask yourself: who wants this cigarette? is it your mind, or is it your heart?
" I Don't Like That Man. I Must Get To Know Him Better." -Abraham Lincoln
Grind42
Leetissimo!

Post by Grind42 »

These last 2 days have been the hardest, I crave worste if I get frustrated during AO playtime. I have been eating lots like munching on gums & peanuts & raisins & when I drive I chew gum.

Went to a friends place after work & had a beer & he lit up & I wanted one but I told myself that im going to be around other smokers for the rest of my life, I dont want to smoke so I can control myself.

Persistence, ignoring the craving (it goes away) Cravings come further & further apart. Im doing great & really proud of myself its the right decition to make.

++ I have way better things to spend the money on. So all I can say is willpower & something to distract you from the need to do it.

Just a brief status report

Damage Clan
noobas
Leetissimo!

Post by noobas »

HOLY CRAP GRIND YOU're DOING AWESOME!

GZ!!!

Keep it up bud!!!!!!!!!! :embarassed: :embarassed: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: =P~ #-o :P :!: :!: =D> =D> :wink: :wink:
" I Don't Like That Man. I Must Get To Know Him Better." -Abraham Lincoln
Fury1
Leet

Post by Fury1 »

oky 1st i have to tell u. i did Smok from 1996 to 1/1/2009 i dont know how much Time is That but 1 day i come and Think Why in the hell do i Kill my sellf Buy my Heands. i am 28Yers old and i cant even Run for 30 min my Boday is not like it use to be. eveything abut me is not soo Good caz of Somkng .. what am i Stupd or what to gave out my money to kill my sellf .. Stupd way to Go :) so i quit Smaokng 1st whit my Head Aftr Thinkng of what 1 Smok can do to me. then i quet for Rell and did not Come back for Smok Not even ones ...

my Point is Kitty u quit Smokng Buy beng Smart and Good Thinkng ur Brain is what Makes u Smok and ur Brain is what make u quit .. Just Think that u do not need to Smok. Just picture what can 1 cigarett do to ur Health how Much Damg that 1 Lill Cursed cigarett it do to u and to the ppl that smell ur Smokng .. Think how Strong u can be w/o that 1 cigarett how its Full Soooooooooooooo soooooooooo Good to Live w/o Smokng Man its priceless

so Done Say i am Fillng dont say i need Smok ..... Dont Even Think of it

sorry for my rell bad english and i Hope and Pray thet u Quit for Good GL [-o<
born in a hurricane Nothing to lose and everything to gain
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Great mutual support APs :mrgreen:

Don't give up you all! Go go go Grind and Kitty and Butr, especially are you're struggling hard. :)
Elrojo
BacoTroll

Post by Elrojo »

GJ butr and Grindy and Kitty,

I think its really great Butr that you were able to admit it was a tough time for you when you first tried to quit, and even now. Its quite inspirational to other people who are trying to quit to know that its not an easy decision to make, its not an easy process to undertake but at the end of the day its not impossible, even after yuo experience the worst of the worst.

Regarding chewing on gum/nuts etc it does have a few advantages but just becareful of excess salt intake which is bad for you and also hard snacks when eaten regularly are bad for your teeth. Hard sudden impacts can crack teeth, its especially bad for you if you bite your nails!!

When i have more time i'll post you a success story from one of my more difficult patients who was trying to quit.

GJ everyone and keep on trying
Ceokittymeow
Giant Leet

Post by Ceokittymeow »

Well since the first time i quit failed miserably i have now gone a few days with out a smoke and this this time cut myself off from any way of getting, seeing or smelling a cigarette.

I have been coping the wrong way though it is working... I have been sleeping a good 15+ hours a day, beating out the physical addiction and now am running on mental addiction...

I was thinking replacing smoking with a glass of water but at the rate i was going... I would get water poisoning :P

But it is the mental part of our journey and I see that Butr quit... (nvr thought her to be one... closet smoker you!) and Grind, who i have many of talks with about quiting...

Gratz to both...

Well im off to go find me something to bury my head in for a week :)
Politically Correct is like Tyranny with manners!
Grind42
Leetissimo!

Post by Grind42 »

Kitty you instigated this within me tbh :-) All our chats got me thinking & the final decisive choice was when I had been playing AO till early hours of the morning, smoking in my room & getting up & going to the kitchen to breathe clean air.

It had been a night when we had spoken about the filthy habit & that was when I went back into my room & flushed the last smokes I had & then went to sleep.

I hope you continue to be steadfast in your decition its for the best^^ Copious amounts of sleep help for sure but the hardest part for me is when i drink socially or I think when I sit down for another poker game. The choice has been made though & no point in contradicting yourself & starting again it will just make you feel weak.

Think of it as an achievement everytime you want a smoke & you dont have one & spoil yourself, like Rojo said you can use the cash you are saving for something worthwhile in your life.

I bought a cheap mini remote controlled helicopter Lol just for shits & giggles. As stated I am currently spending about as much cash on stuff to eat & keep me busy as I was on cigarettes, this will soon die down. Taking way less breaks at work & able to get more done so quitting has by far been the best thing for me this year.

So once again Kitty thx for being so exuberant & sharing with me. :mrgreen:

Damage Clan
butrkup
Strong Leet

Post by butrkup »

Kitty, hang in there, you're doing GREAT!!!!! =D>

And Grind, you are an inspiration! [-o<

Thank you everyone for the words of support. They mean a lot! I'll be seeing my doc tomorrow and will be taking the next steps toward quitting. I'm very very nervous 8-[
-Butr <3
May the laughter fill your glass,
May your disappointments pass,
May your illusions last until they shatter