Trying to quit... (Not AO :P )

The only place for non AO-related topics.
Elrojo
BacoTroll

Re: Trying to quit... (Not AO :P )

Post by Elrojo »

Lol @ army.

Ahhh sleep kitty!!

The amazing thing about the body is you can train it to do almost anything you want in terms of routine.

The lack of sleep you are experiencing is most probably anxiety/stress related. The problem you get is that you wake early or sleep late, then you nap during the day or sleep in etc etc. Then you rinse and repeat. What you do, without wanting to, is retrain your body that this is how you now operate. The BEST thing to do is to not allow yourself to do this.

Ok so. What I recommend is that you set up a routine. Follow it everynight. Avoid stressful or overstimulating activities like watching TV, drinking coffee or tea, playing AO (unless you are token grinding :P), try to increase exercise or physical activity. Eliminate anything from the bedroom that is not related to sleep or sex (totally true). No TV, no laptop, not bright lights, no eating in bed (unless you are making army brekky in bed). Then work out a "going to bed" routine. It might be Dinner, TV/AO on, TV/AO off, Warm chocolate milk, read for 30mins, bed. Set your alarm for the morning and DO NOT OVERSLEEP!!!!! Now rinse and repeat. You might find that for the first 3 days you are either resistant to going to sleep when you set out to or that you reaaaaaally want to sleep in. But after a while you will feel tired when you should and you will wake up when you should even if you forget to set that alarm!

Avoid using anything that makes you drowsy such as "sleeping tablets". Firstly its not as good as regular sleep, secondly you can get next day tiredness, thirdly they are habit forming and lastly they will decrease in effectiveness over time. If you do need a bit of help to get into the routine use something natural like melatonin (which is naturally produced by your body) or valerian. Do it within your routine for 3-4 days then do the routine without it.

BTW, how long has it been now since your last smoke guys!!! I havent heard anyone breaking their quit attemts!! GREAT JOB. for most of you the battle will get much easier in the coming weeks. KEEP IT UP!!
Grind42
Leetissimo!

Post by Grind42 »

Elrojo wrote: BTW, how long has it been now since your last smoke guys!!! I havent heard anyone breaking their quit attemts!! GREAT JOB. for most of you the battle will get much easier in the coming weeks. KEEP IT UP!!
Just over 2 weeks for me iirc, I have not smoked any cigarettes or cigars. I have considered having a cigar when I have gone out for drinks but controlled myself. Realistically though I have had a few pulls of some Mary Jane^^ (that can be our little secret.) Its healthier anyway *GriN* :P

This has been pretty easy, I think just being dead set in a decision & other priorities overwieghing the need to smoke have been a playing factor. Thanks for all the support peeps.
If its not broken, Your not trying hard enough!!

-DC-Grind42-Nightcrawler-
Damage Clan
General of Athen Paladins
Kosstoss
Big Leet

Post by Kosstoss »

Inspired by you guys... i have been smoking for 20 years and i will try to give up.......... updates inc (hopefully not that i fail after 2 hours) :).
Never underestimate anyone who is smiling.........
Elrojo
BacoTroll

Post by Elrojo »

Go Koss Go!!
Ceokittymeow
Giant Leet

Post by Ceokittymeow »

woot! go Koss go!!!

been what 2- 3weeks since i stopped smoking? It was tuff but i got over it quite fast to be honest, kept bust and chewed gum like a madman!

Koss you can do this mate! beleive in yourself and slap your own hand when you reach for a smoke! trust me! my right hand hates my left now! Reason why i can't type striaght anymore! :rotf1: :crazy:

With that i leave you some words to think about while you are on the road to quitting!
  If i crossed and apple tree with a Orange tree, wouls the fruit be a an Apple-Flavored Orange or a Orange-flavored apple!?  
Politically Correct is like Tyranny with manners!
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

OMG Koss! GO GO GO! :D Best wishes to you and we'll be there to support. Post your feelings here.
Elrojo
BacoTroll

Post by Elrojo »

to answer your question Kitty.

According to the mendelian genetics, of which we all are very familiar, you would need to identify the dominant and recessive alleles of taste and appearance. We all know that dominant genes will be expressed as the respective phenotype even if only one gene is passed on. If for example apple taste (A) is dominant and orange (O) recessive the genotype would look like (AA), (AO), (OO), (OA). Hence Apple taste is going to appear 3 out of 4 times!! If apple (P) appearance is recessive and orange (R) is dominant then you would get (PP), (PR), (RR), (RP). Hence oranges would appear 75% of the time.

Statistically speaking then you would have a 56.25% chance of an orange tasting like an apple. 18.75% chance of an Orange tasting like an orange OR a apple tasing like and apple and a 6.25% chance of an Apple tasting like an Orange.

Duh!!

Now i'm sure rulzie can take over and tell you if you bred 10 apples and oranges what the chance is that EXACTLY 5 looked like oranges and 5 looked like apples using the binomial probablility and also what the chance is of having less than 5 apples (so 1, 2, 3 or 4)!!

Also go koss go
Ceokittymeow
Giant Leet

Post by Ceokittymeow »

Elrojo wrote:to answer your question Kitty.

According to the mendelian genetics, of which we all are very familiar, you would need to identify the dominant and recessive alleles of taste and appearance. We all know that dominant genes will be expressed as the respective phenotype even if only one gene is passed on. If for example apple taste (A) is dominant and orange (O) recessive the genotype would look like (AA), (AO), (OO), (OA). Hence Apple taste is going to appear 3 out of 4 times!! If apple (P) appearance is recessive and orange (R) is dominant then you would get (PP), (PR), (RR), (RP). Hence oranges would appear 75% of the time.

Statistically speaking then you would have a 56.25% chance of an orange tasting like an apple. 18.75% chance of an Orange tasting like an orange OR a apple tasing like and apple and a 6.25% chance of an Apple tasting like an Orange.

Duh!!

Now i'm sure rulzie can take over and tell you if you bred 10 apples and oranges what the chance is that EXACTLY 5 looked like oranges and 5 looked like apples using the binomial probablility and also what the chance is of having less than 5 apples (so 1, 2, 3 or 4)!!

Also go koss go
Ok the Gregor Mendel way of genetics i know of, but man the math is crazy!
Kosstoss
Big Leet

Post by Kosstoss »

36 hours since last cig..................

Crawling the walls a bit but not going too crazy (eating a lot though).
Ceokittymeow
Giant Leet

Post by Ceokittymeow »

Don't replace those cravings with food! You will kick yourself in the ass if you do!

Try buying some Stride Gum, was great a a cig substitute!
Grind42
Leetissimo!

Post by Grind42 »

Nothing wrong with eating^^ Food is niice unless ofc you are trying to keep a figure.

Whats putting on a KG or 2 you can always excersize it away. Gum is just as bad as over-eating if you chewing & not eating you will just make your stomach raw with all the acid being expelled & nothing to digest.

Koss do what makes you comfortable, just DONT smoke. Joo can do it & you will feel an awesome amount of satisfaction for it.
If its not broken, Your not trying hard enough!!

-DC-Grind42-Nightcrawler-
Damage Clan
General of Athen Paladins
butrkup
Strong Leet

Post by butrkup »

Big GRATS!!!!!!!!! to Kitty & Grind for sticking it out, really in awe of you two! :)

Koss....WOW, you are brave...you can do it...here's some advice I have come across for dealing with a particularly bad craving...the 5 D's:

Drink cold water. This can really help soothe you & it helps flush the nicotine out of your body too.

Delay. Say...oh, in an hour I'll think about having a cigarette..but not right now. Keep repeating :)

Distract: do something, play AO, go running, read a book...any kind of distraction to get your mind off it.

Discuss: talk to a friend about how you're feeling, come post here on AO forums...call someone, IM someone, talk about it, basically.

Deep breathe: Take some slow, deep breaths. Focus on your breath...this will calm you AND distract you.

Also, there's HALT--never let yourself get too Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired...as this will put you at risk for picking up, and having "just one" will put you right back at square one.

As for my own progress, I am down to smoking 5 cigarettes a day. Not sure if I ever would quit if I had to do it cold turkey/all at once, since I had such a bad experience doing it before (thought I was going NUTz). Not smoking in my car, not smoking inside the house, also have some other support mechanisms in place. I'm so proud of myself for cutting it down SO much. I'm going to get to 0/day soon :)
-Butr <3
May the laughter fill your glass,
May your disappointments pass,
May your illusions last until they shatter
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

You're all doing GREAT: Go on! And Koss, once again, excellent start! Keep on the good job. :D
Kosstoss
Big Leet

Post by Kosstoss »

Sorry all temptation got too much after 2 days.......................

Will try again in the future but from now on will try to cut down from the mandatory 20 cigs a day :|

Kitty and Grind you have ny utmost admiration and don't stop stopping :)
Elrojo
BacoTroll

Post by Elrojo »

No such thing as a phail Koss. You managed to go 2 days without smoking. Thats better than smoking for those two days. If you had set out to stop for 2 days then mission accomplished. Next time it might be 3 days! Any ciggarette you DONT smoke is a victory. They didnt land on the moon the first go. Each attempt will teach you things about yourself and this process that can only make you more successful next time.

Keep it up Koss. Work out what the good and bad aspects of this trial run were. Work out why you think you resumed smoking, is it something you can change yourself? Something you can get other people to help you change? Steady yourself, regroup and gogogo! You can do it!