New harddrive

Many AP members are knowledgeable about computers. Ask questions and share your knowledge here. (Information are supplied without any guarantee. Do not open any URL or file not posted by someone you know.) (All users can read)
stokken
Leetissimo!

New harddrive

Post by stokken »

So my harddrive seems to be at its end of life with all the noise its making
So question is how do i get a complete transfer of whats on harddrive to a other?
Any suggestions on programs i can use for it ? so i can just transfer and then remove old hdd with new

Unfortunatly my motherboard does not support sdd so abit stuck to old hdd still
:apc:
Chrisax
President

Re: New harddrive

Post by Chrisax »

I have to meet people just now but I'll be back to you after about this.

Still, if you MB supports SATA hard disks, it supports SSDs. Only the interface matters.

What you are thinking of is maybe "M2" SSDs that you plug directly on a special slot on the MB. But other SSDs, the majority, use a SATA interface like traditional HDs.

Do you know the model of your MB? I guess you bought it after advice here BTW, so maybe we have the references but I'm positive that it's the same MB you bought after asking on our forums, it supports SATA.

For the software, likely Acronis True Image that has a full trial of 30 days so enough to save your data without investing.
https://www.acronis.com/en-eu/personal/computer-backup/

I'll be back later to talk more. :)
stokken
Leetissimo!

Post by stokken »

Same motherboard still , getting old need to save up some money and upgrade it sometime :D

I will check with local pc store later today if he has some sdd with tradional connection.

I want to do it as fast as possible so i dont end up with no pc
stokken
Leetissimo!

Post by stokken »

got a 480 gb ssd , the cpu cooler i got was a bit to big so i cant close cabinet completely :P but nvm that i will rather have a big cooler for summer , has a 120mm fan on it
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

OK, so good you got a SSD on SATA interface.

And if you still have the MB Asus H81I-PLUS (http://www.athenpaladins.org/forums/vie ... 297#p66297) then you should connect your SSD to the high speed 6Gb/s SATA interface:
Connecting it to a slower one (the MB doesn't seem to have slower ones though) would still work but slower and that would be a shame for a SSD. For disk copy, it's not very important but make sure that you're on the fast SATA later to use your SSD to the best.

As for the software, get an Acronis trial (my first post). It will do the job. It's one of the very best programs for backup, disc copy, disk imaging, etc on the market and has been for many years.
stokken
Leetissimo!

Post by stokken »

Well problem it shows on device manger and in bios but not under my computer drives
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

stokken
Leetissimo!

Post by stokken »

Problem solved , needed to add a letter to it
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Great :) Anything else?

For the future, after doing your copy and have everything set up, get a simple HD/SSD health monitor software, like CrystalDiskInfo.

https://crystalmark.info/en/download/
(Get CrystalDiskInfo Standard Edition NOT CrystalDiskMark or exotic editions)

Manual:
https://crystalmark.info/en/software/CrystalDiskInfo/
(bottom of page)
fuze
Giant Leet

Post by fuze »

Shouldn't be enough of a change to get a non working copy/image, but if both drives work and SSD as primary, you could do a new install if you have media, boot from SSD, and then drag and drop what you need saved. Regular HD as secondary. Long as you have room.
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Well, actually, yes, what Fuze says can be an easy (easier) solution.

1) Put the SSD as primary drive (even alone at start if it's easier)

2) Install Windows on the SSD (the way to do it depends on what form you got Windows)

3) Restrict Boot disk to primary disk (SSD) in the BIOS. This could be necessary as you also have Windows on the HD, to avoid confusion.

4) Connect the HD as second disk

5) Reinstall programs on the SSD

6) For Anarchy Online, you ONLY have to copy the Anarchy Online folder to the SSD and the preferences folder which is

DISK-LETTER:/Users/Windowsusername/AppData/Local/Funcom/Anarchy Online

7) Just copy what you want from the HD to the SSD

Creating a disk image of the HD and transferring it to the SSD is only necessary if you have a ton of installed programs you don't want to reinstall.
stokken
Leetissimo!

Post by stokken »

i used a program called macrium reflect . the program recommened in thread took ages to do so got tired of it .
Macrium reflect has a free edition so seemed to work alot faster , i have yet not tried to boot up on new drive
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Can you install Windows on the SSD?

Under what form did you Windows come?

Because, seeing how messy this is, I really think that it would be better to start fresh on the SSD and then copy data with file explorer and reinstall software (AO can be copied)