Multiple laptop deaths, dead tower, now new desktop

Many AP members are knowledgeable about computers. Ask questions and share your knowledge here. (Information are supplied without any guarantee. Do not open any URL or file not posted by someone you know.) (All users can read)
Coldthrust
Baby Leet

Multiple laptop deaths, dead tower, now new desktop

Post by Coldthrust »

It has been something of the story of my life in minature, lol. Main laptop won't stay on for longer than a few minutes seems times are getting shorter with each try. Backup laptop bsod'd 4 times in the past 2 days, now will not even boot.

So, got my old tower (converted years ago to server and then relegated to closet in last move), hooked everything up, hit the power switch... nada.. naft.. nothing. Opened the case.. eh bug problems granted dead bugs, but betting the fumigation process fouled a bunch of connectors. Probably could fix, have to pop open the power supply and clean it as well. All in all, a lot of work with no promise of success to get a 8+ year old outdated system running.

Went to Best Buy after seeing some cheap laptops on sale, while there looked over at the 'bargain table' - open stuff, mismatched, returned, etc. My eyes landed on a Dell G5 i7 256GB SSD + 1TB HD, 16GB RAM - no accessories but oddly a cheap mouse and a power cord. It left the store with me and is presently engaged in downloading AO.

Which of course makes my 5th download of AO since my return... machine failure, buggy software, rollbacks, etc. Hopefully I will be back online tomorrow.

I would keep my fingers crossed but it makes it too hard to type!
Cy'all soon!
Coldthrust
Chrisax
President

Re: Multiple laptop deaths, dead tower, now new desktop

Post by Chrisax »

At least you have not lost your humor. :)

I hope that bargain Dell will work fine.

Just in case, two things if you experienced issues:

Regarding the old engine:
The old engine has sometimes troubles with modern CPU with integrated graphics on laptops that also have a dedicated graphic card. You may need to disable the integrated graphics in the CPU; see here:
http://www.athenpaladins.org/forums/vie ... 553#p84553

Regarding the new engine:
"New Engine? Crashing? Nvidia? Read this."
http://www.athenpaladins.org/forums/vie ... 14&t=10831