Abandoned Win11 for Linux as my 'daily driver'...

Many AP members are knowledgeable about computers. Ask questions and share your knowledge here. (Information are supplied without any guarantee. Do not open any URL or file not posted by someone you know.) (All users can read)
Knickers
Mini Leet

Abandoned Win11 for Linux as my 'daily driver'...

Post by Knickers »

Hey guys,

Looking to know the other linux users out there in the org, for help potentially. I sort of am a newb when it comes to managing your own system. But I'm not really a newb to linux. I've toyed with various linux distros over the years, but would nearly always go back to windows. At work, I used managed redhat systems for over a decade.

Though no reason for going back was ever the same actual problem, it was always basically because I'd gotten tired of starting from scratch after breaking it more trying to solve some small functionality problem. Be it a video card, or software problem, I just always seemed to make things worse while following guides that might be off by multiple versions.

I have a bit of a tricky rig. 24c Threadripper w/ dual RTX A4000's and Thunderbolt (for the uninitiated, thanks to the royalty expense for the IP as well as the pcie lane cost; you probably won't find many AMD CPU platforms with thunderbolt. And yes, ATM it's a bit of a waste because I'm not really using it.

My wine setup is wonky and not really ideal but, it's no less stable than it was in Windows.

My progressively more "riced" desktop ss included.
Ultrawide curved monitor (3840x1080 or 1920x1080 x 2)
Arcolinux - QTile (i3)

And, yes... that's a graphical browser in the right Terminal window. (browsh)

Also, would love to see the UI setups of other linux users!
Knickers
Mini Leet

Re: Abandoned Win11 for Linux as my 'daily driver'...

Post by Knickers »

Oh, I do have a 2nd 'screen'...
my Loupedeck macropad.

I don't have it working in linux yet, but since it's running this a funky web-socket over usb protocol it should be simple enough to make it work. Basically, it shows up as a networked device and the software on the computer serves it a website for the input. I'm sure that I'll lose some novel functionality of it in this transition, but I'm come to really like it.

I think macro-pads like it can be an amazing productivity tool in the right environments. They're mostly designed for streamers, or video and photo editing. But, I can see how useful it could be for a work-from-home call center employee for example, to quickly navigate software over SSH without waiting for graphical updates... or for someone managing a lot of video calls, etc.