Chat!!!!!

Many AP members are knowledgeable about computers. Ask questions and share your knowledge here. (Information are supplied without any guarantee. Do not open any URL or file not posted by someone you know.) (All users can read)
Grind42
Leetissimo!

Chat!!!!!

Post by Grind42 »

Hey i have small problem, NO chat i get system messages but that is all & if someone pst's me while i am online it says im offline.

Basically i got disconected a few times then i reset router & then could log again but now i have this problem. Cant join any bots, Dont get org chat NOTHING, only system msg's.

Apart from that the game runs fine no lag can kill & loot stuff....

Any ideas? Also its on all my accounts not just the paid one.
If its not broken, Your not trying hard enough!!

-DC-Grind42-Nightcrawler-
Damage Clan
General of Athen Paladins
mytefe
Big Leet

Post by mytefe »

grind is problem with files in \prefs folder. is file called prefs.xml and main.cfg. they are broke :(

make backup!!!!!
then delete those files. start ao and see what happen. if they still broke then u have delete them from folder that has your CHARID
/prefs/Char1250828221 <-- like this one. but if happen to all toons then main one is broke.
so
delete prefs folder . all your inv and bags will loose names. nanos will be shuffled about too.

then from backup you can replace folders, till u find the one that has corruption.
lots of logging in and out

GL!!
A freshly picked BLUE rose for j00
<3
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Also make sure your antivirus is updated and you have an antispyware updated too. As I noticed you had several issues recently.

Free AVG, antivirus, free and works very well: http://free.grisoft.com/
(auto updates once a day)

Spybot Search and destroy, anti spyware, works very well and free too
http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html

Keep us informed
Grind42
Leetissimo!

Post by Grind42 »

Woot got to login!!!

Okies well so u have all noticed this is fixed tyvm for the input. Tefe i do have backups of prefs folder ty 8) Just incase this happens again.

Not sure what went wrong but basically i unplugged HD. Did several scans then got fed up & went to bed when i woke up i reset bios & went from there when i logged on after that all chat worked^^ So in long run didnt do anything to my configs.

Chris i use AVG & Spybot funnily enough. Also installed Firefox & still same thing with forums get logged out often.

*hugs*

Damage Clan
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Grind42 wrote: Chris i use AVG & Spybot funnily enough. Also installed Firefox & still same thing with forums get logged out often.
Can you confirm this happens only on AP forums and this doesn't happen with Clans for a Change forums?

Can you also describe what happens typically please?

I don't understand why you have issues on AP forums with two different browsers. You're using XP and not Vista?
Grind42
Leetissimo!

Post by Grind42 »

Using XP SP2, This happens on all forums alliance & clansunited. Its the worst with AP forums.

Its seriously like a rollercoaster, sometimes it works for awhile but mostly not.

I can join forums & login fine then when i select a link from index it logs me out & takes me to Index page again. I can then try login again & it wont let me.

Sometimes i can go into for example this log Computers,Software,Internet (CSI) I wont be logged in on Index & when i enter CSI then i am logged in. Also if i wanted to read an article in CSI it might boot me to Index & its just a chance whether i am or am not logged in. Its frustrating to post as once i have written something i continuoesly copy it becuase when i submit the reply most often than not it will ask for my username & password, then only sometimes it will allow me to post.

It has taken plenty tries to get into this thread & post under my username. I have deleted cookies & passwords & it generally helps a bit but its not 100% foolproof way of making sure i stay logged in while using the forums.

Also even if i am not logged in & want to access normal pages that anyone can access it might ask me for username & p-word or i go into the common thread & i will be logged in. I have tried many things with remembering my password with the little checkbox to not remembering it, I havent been able to narrow the problem down. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.

This issue is just frustrating & wastes time 8)

PS i wrote this tried to post reply it booted my to Index (not logged in) when i tried to get into CSI it asked for username & p-word I got into CSI(logged in) then i clicked on this thread it let me in & was logged on. I then posted.

2nd time tried to post when i click submit it asks for username & password then boots me to Index(not logged in) then click CSI & i am logged in. crossing fingers

Damage Clan
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

But the forums work correctly from your workplace.... So it's something odd with your home system or home ISP.

It looks like your system "loses" the cookies sometimes but I can't be 100% sure.

The strange thing is it does the same (does it?) with Firefox AND Internet explorer wich don't manage pages, cookies, and connections the same way and have different setups.

Do you (or your ISP) use any kind of proxy?

Do you have anything that could affect cookies storage? (settings in browers but i don't believe it, anti-spyware, anti-virus, another software...)

Do you have a router / hardware firewall / etc?

Do you use any kind of "anonymizer" software or "privacy" software?
Or any software that could affect your IP address by the way? (Of course your IP address is always the same but the server could see it differently.)

Would it be possible to test with another system (laptop, old comp, etc.) on your connection?

Could you go and register on phpbb forums http://www.phpbb.com/community/ and see if you get the same problem there?

Do you have similar issues on AO forums or another forums somewhere?