How do I disable automatic startup programs?

Many AP members are knowledgeable about computers. Ask questions and share your knowledge here. (Information are supplied without any guarantee. Do not open any URL or file not posted by someone you know.) (All users can read)
Gordo03
Growing Leet

How do I disable automatic startup programs?

Post by Gordo03 »

After many years of using this computer I have lots of programs that automatically start running when I power up my computer. How do I disable the programs I don't want to run at start up? Thanks for your help.
dpidcoe
Strong Leet

Post by dpidcoe »

a bunch of different ways, here are a few in easiest to hardest (less likely to screw up your computer to most)

start-->program files-->startup, remove the stuff from there that you don't want starting up

start-->run-->msconfig-->startup tab, uncheck the stuff you don't want starting up

start-->run--regedit-->hkey_local_machine-->software-->microsoft-->windows-->currentversion-->run, I usually change the drive letter of the entries to something non-exsistant, then I can easily revert back if it turns out they were something vital.
Hyde
Hyde!

Post by Hyde »

Install Linux.
Gordo03
Growing Leet

Post by Gordo03 »

Thanks dpidcoe, your solution is a lot easier than hydes.
Mardonge
Big Leet

Post by Mardonge »

Hyde wrote:Install Linux.
bump :lol:
Mortus
Maxi Leet

Post by Mortus »

Mardonge wrote:
Hyde wrote:Install Linux.
bump :lol:
Debump.
AP :wub:
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

To settle the case, install GEM! :twisted:

Ah the sad story of Digital Research and their founder... (The guy who ruled software market with CPM but who was not sure if it was interesting to develop a DoS for the IBM PC when IBM asked him...)