New Computer Help (Components)

Many AP members are knowledgeable about computers. Ask questions and share your knowledge here. (Information are supplied without any guarantee. Do not open any URL or file not posted by someone you know.) (All users can read)
Sillanto
Leetissimo!

New Computer Help (Components)

Post by Sillanto »

I have finally decided that after 7 years i really need to upgrade my current p4 2.6ghz desktop!!

After a recent lighting storm blew both my balistix ram im now down to a stock ddr1 512mb stick lol.

Currently my usual usage involves having Apache, MySql, Dreamweaver, Firefox, Fireworks and maybe a game/film/music running at the same time and ends up pushing the current setup right to the limit lol.

Im looking for something reasonably priced but powerful enough for my needs. While i dont play many graphics tough games like crysis i do ocasionaly play things like BF2142 and the like.

I have looked at Laptops like the Toshiba X200 and Dell M2010 / XPS series but these seem to run around the £1000 mark ($2000) and while nice i cant see them being the best option.

As for desktops im currently hovering around the following:

Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66ghz (Guessing same power as my current chip just able to run 4x the programs at the same speed as current) ~ £150

Nvidia 8800GTX 768mb (This seems to be one of the best midrange cards that has the ability to go sli at a later date - maybe) ~£150

Ram 4Gb (Haven decided any brand) ~£100 (I guess)

Motherboard - Not a clue

So really looking for any advice / ideas as ive been out the pc building game for too long :) For a desktop ill probably put my max budget at £500 as then i can put any leftover towards getting an 1080p tv to run the pc into.

Other info:
- Currently got 2 18" monitors, about 700gb of hd's both ide and sata
- Really could do with the option of running hdmi out of the graphics and optical sound to my theatre system.

Thanks for reading!!
You want it made ..... See me
You want it broken ... See me
You want it fixed....... Send your hampster to FC
caveman
Maxi Leet

Post by caveman »

everything you listed are uber apart from the graphics....i would go for the nvidia's 9600/9800 cards there way more faster than the 8800 cards..

go for an nvidia based chipset if your going nvidia graphics...
------------------------------------------------------
Grind42
Leetissimo!

Post by Grind42 »

Hmmz.... Well i thought for 1 that the 8800GTx was sli compatible (pretty sure there). Im a pretty big Intel supporter, & i dont like laptops really

depending on what u willing to pay & if u want a quad core board & 2 processors.

The "Intel Bonetrail" <--- google that, is a really decent Core2 Duo board. Intel Core 2 Duo or Intel Core 2 Quad processors can be fitted.

Thats just my 2cents
If its not broken, Your not trying hard enough!!

-DC-Grind42-Nightcrawler-
Damage Clan
General of Athen Paladins
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

I wouldn't go for a laptop, unless you do need something you can easily move. It's more expensive, less customizable, and you can't usually repair it yourself.

What you have listed sounds OK to me. The 8800 is a very nice video card, even if the 9800 are better.

For the motherboard, the Intel Bonetrail is certainly good. Or I would go for an ASUS P5N ("old" P35 chipset, less expensive) or P5K (new X38 chipset, like the Intel Bonetrail, but this chipset is not really used ATM; it should be used for new and better graphic cards "sometimes in the future"...)
There are several models.
http://uk.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11

One thing you didn't mention is the enclosure and the power supply. Don't get something cheap. Many low-cost power supplies are not reliable enough for high-end configurations. Get a brand name, no need to be something overpriced for a so-called xtreme gamer "da rulz da world". I'm thinking of serious products like Antec for example.
http://www.antec.com/ec/
Sillanto
Leetissimo!

Post by Sillanto »

Ill just use my old case and supply i hadnt thought about much lol. I have looked at the P5K but there are so many different versions its confusing lol!

Also since it only costs an extra £16 to get a 9800gtx i think i will go for that but does that mean i should get a pci-e 2.0 board? Also ive spotted taht there is a new generation of gigabit boards coming out called the p45 series. is it worth spending a little more and getting one of these?
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Bleh it seems that things changed and the P5K has now P5 chipset as well, and that there is a X48 chipset out now and first introduced in February (.!) I'm lost

Some articles though:

X48 Motherboard Comparison
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/x48 ... ,1781.html

There is the Gigabyte MB in the article it seems.

Conclusion:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/x48 ... 81-27.html
We have a clear winner, but not an awardable one: the Asus P5E3 Premium (Compare Prices on P5E3 Motheboard) was the only motherboard in this comparison to pass every single test, because the remaining boards failed (or partially failed) four-DIMM compatibility. But we realize that some builders will never use more than two memory modules, and that the higher capacities available with DDR3 make large dual-channel kits a better option. Awards are reserved for obvious leadership in performance, overclocking, or "bang for the buck", and these are places where the losing motherboards each had their own strengths. (...)

Personally, I know that I will likely stick with Asus for my next MB or Intel. I had more issues with other makes, although I'm using a MSI on this system at the moment and it works well but I have never been able to solve some troubles and to get support from MSI about them.
caveman
Maxi Leet

Post by caveman »

yes sill, you need to buy a PCI-e board.but most modern motherboards out today have PCI-e as standered
Sillanto
Leetissimo!

Post by Sillanto »

Well ive gone ahead and got myself the parts :) Lol bad things happen when you get bored at a weekend lol!!

I ended up getting a asus p5k-3 but the upgraded wireless access point as this is actually a really useful for me.

The parts all work but unfortunately im having to low level format my hard disk due to a legacy dynamic drive overlay hiden somewhere in the boot secotr is blocking the asus board from using my hd :( I knew it would catch up with me one day lol!

Thanks for all the advice. I will try to drop in more comments about what ive got when i finally get hold of a copy of 64 bit vista so i can use the full 4gb of ram :) (meanwhiledoes anyone know of any problems using 4gb with a 32 bit system)
caveman
Maxi Leet

Post by caveman »

windows vista 32bit can only read 2.99gb of ram but the 64bit can read 8gig..don't worry about it...your bios will read 4gb
Hyde
Hyde!

Post by Hyde »

I'm very very happy with my 9600GT 512. They don't quite outperform the 8800s but they take noticeably less power, make less noise, use less space, cost less than the 8800GT* and are SLI capable.

Pass on the 9800 line for now, driver issues in some games.

8800s are great cards, just pointing out an alternative. Plus the 9600 will be easier to match for a 2nd card if you're going to wait for awhile to go SLI as the 8800 will probably phase out once the 9800 issues are addressed.
core
King Size Leet

Post by core »

Since you went for an Intel chipset motherboard you obviously must have noticed that it doesnt support SLI right ?

Use your old card and wait for ATI 4xxx to come out soon for crossfire instead there are however incompatibilities with current 3xxx ATIs and AO
you should also be aware of.

I have a 3850 Asus in my htpc atm and its doing great with HD video accelerating (HDMI output on a 40inch Samsung HD), much better than any Nvidia card could, but haven't tested it with games much as I usually play on a different computer.

I could give it a shot with AO if you like and tell you if it has any problems on it or not.

@Chris Asus has the same support problems especially concerning incomplete problematic bios implementations on their hardware, the only company atm that makes enthusiast boards that really work is DFI.

However they don't have an X38-X48 solution atm in the market (if you do care about DDR3 ram).

Also DDR3 is not yielding any true performance results on the Core 2 Intel
platform to justify the budget difference in consumer pricing.
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Thanks for the info on DFI, Core. :)

BTW, as Sillanto said he was not a player of graphic-tough games, I thought that the lack of SLI wouldn't be an issue.

Back to DFI, it's a make I never tried. I saw it on many gamers sites and usually that makes me a bit afraid, my bad. I'll have a look at DFI for my next system if you say they are good products.

By the way, I went to their site (slow one) and it seems they just started X38 / X48 boards:

http://us.dfi.com.tw/Product/product_se ... 25&SITE=US

But as you said, the X38/X48 may be interesting in the future but has not much top offer ATM.
Sillanto
Leetissimo!

Post by Sillanto »

Yeah im not so intrested in SLI, I think i might be to start with but then realised if i ever got to the point that i really wanted SLI then i am just as well grabbing a new mb with the latest features etc rather than getting one now that already has sli :)

I am finding the whole setup works really well. Flawlessly running BF2142 on every setting maxed (before i wasnt able to do more than min and that was still jerky)

Now i just have to buy so better games i think lol!

The only problem ive had is with sound which appears related to the asus mb and is well documented on forums. It has something to do jmicron controlers. It has be acknowledged by asus but still no manufacturer patch but i can be solved using some round about ways.
caveman
Maxi Leet

Post by caveman »

most games out this year will have some sort of issue with onboard soundcards...my advise is to by a Creative SoundBlaster Xfi extreme gamer fatality sound card "just the pci slot one",this card will boost all games by upto 40% in fps
Sillanto
Leetissimo!

Post by Sillanto »

Ill have a look for it but the actual problem is said to be something to do with an incredibly short buffer for streaming audio from the hd's or just a problem with audio from the hd altogether lol:)