Vista and AO... A love/hate relationship!

Many AP members are knowledgeable about computers. Ask questions and share your knowledge here. (Information are supplied without any guarantee. Do not open any URL or file not posted by someone you know.) (All users can read)
Ceokittymeow
Giant Leet

Vista and AO... A love/hate relationship!

Post by Ceokittymeow »

Ok so i have a friend that i got into AO just this week and he has Vista and for some odd reason, he keeps having to reinstall due to "maitenance was unable to fix missing file name maitenance.dat" ever time he gets donw with one session on AO.

Now he was having problems getting 17.2 to patch up but got it to go through, but it seems that this file is keeping him from being able to play more then one session until a reinstall is needed...

We tried reinstalling from a different download from Bittorrent/MMOfury/Gamershell and still the same problem.

Any ideas?
Alphacenta
Leetissimo!

Post by Alphacenta »

No ideas, but I can tell you I run Vista and AO on two different computers and have had no problems.
Lupusceleri L220/24 Agent.
Silversmith upcoming TL5 twink.
Wolfseye L110/12 Adventurer (towertwink).
Lysdexic L90/9 Agent (Mimic Enf towertwink).
Aesculapias L21/2 Doctor (ancient).

Aaaand various other alts.
caveman
Maxi Leet

Post by caveman »

i run AO on vista too with no problems infact AO runs 20% better under vista for me **32bit edition**..i have heard the AO has problems with the 64bit edition i could be because of that
------------------------------------------------------
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Two things Kitty:

You might have to run AO installation and patching with admin rights on Vista, so no security feature will block you.

Second, there was an issue with the version number stored in the version.id file ( in the AO root folder) and that fooled the patcher. It required to be manually edited. I can't remember the details ATM. I have to look for them again.
mytefe
Big Leet

Post by mytefe »

http://www.athenpaladins.org/forums/vie ... php?t=3290

this is the topic when i had to edit Version.ID file.

The problem happend from patch 17.5.2.
the Version.ID file had "17.5.2_EP1". had to remove the "_ep1" bit for patch 17.5.3 to install.

Then After 17.5.3, had to edit version.id file and put "_ep1" back in.

since then i have had no other problems patching.

This is for the Large Client install.
There is also a smaller client. I think this is why it got messed up cuz the large client has graphics for spaceships that fly over. If u have small client u cant see them.

hope this helps and makes sense :)
A freshly picked BLUE rose for j00
<3
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Thanks Mytefe :)