Clicksaver and UAC

Many AP members are knowledgeable about computers. Ask questions and share your knowledge here. (Information are supplied without any guarantee. Do not open any URL or file not posted by someone you know.) (All users can read)
Leyah
Little Leet

Clicksaver and UAC

Post by Leyah »

So, I have been trying to get Clicksaver to run on my machine. I'm running Vista Home Premium 64bit, usually with UAC turned on.

With UAC on, Clicksaver will go ahead and set the sliders, and even start the search within AO without any problems. Unfortunatly, it doesn't see any of the generated missions, so after the first click, it will just stop and wait for the missions (The mission details on Clicksaver stay empty)

So, I figured, lets go ahead and turn UAC off. And guess what, suddenly Clicksaver works like a charm. Now, I'm pretty sure this happens because UAC doesn't like one program hooking up to another like Clicksaver does that.

My question is, if anybody has an idea how I can get Clicksaver to run with UAC enabled. I do not want to turn it off permanently, because it's not just some annoying popups, but actually quite a good safeguard. Needless to say, running Clicksaver with admin rights doesn't change anything unfortunatly. Turning UAC off just to roll some missions can work, but is quite annoying, because you have to reboot for that.
core
King Size Leet

Post by core »

Leyah
Little Leet

Post by Leyah »

Wow, that works, thank you very much core, that is one handy program!
This also works with Items Assistant, so this is a very handy tool to get around UAC for selected programs.
Hyde
Hyde!

Post by Hyde »

I gave up early on and just disabled UAC completely. I'm the only one with access to the box and I'm behind 2 firewalls, so the risk is minor. It blew up AO for me every time I did a C+A+Delete.
core
King Size Leet

Post by core »

Its one extra layer of protection in code execution and that isn't bad if you take the time and create the list of exceptions that make it annoying.

Glad it worked for you Leyah
Leyah
Little Leet

Post by Leyah »

The idea behind UAC basically is to run programs in user mode, not in admin mode, to prevent a virus or a malware installer working, no firewall is going to do anything about that. Of course, things like that usually don't happen unless you manually start a program with a virus in it for whatever reason (unless of course, you have an unpatched system and no virus scanner ;) ). I have had UAC save me from a virus infection at least once (Don't download a tool from a shady website and try to install it without running a virus scanner over it first :-P)
Hyde
Hyde!

Post by Hyde »

I don't have all of UAC disabled, just the secure desktop (which makes the screen blank out when using C+A+Del). That's what crashed all the programs that I had problems with like AO.

Even with secure desktop disabled UAC still prevents code exec as an admin account, it just doesn't have the graphic display when its going into UAC control mode. It means that if you got ahold of a malware that was trying to forcibly take admin permissions you won't get the blacked out screen but you'll still be prompted to allow it to elevate control.

For the way I work that is better than completely disabling UAC for some programs, since it means if those programs are compromised by a virus they will still have to prompt for elevation.

For Item Assistant all you should need to do to make it work is setting it to XP compatibility mode + disable the secure desktop. Its worked for me since the first day I switched to Vista using that.

Details for this method:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows- ... ows-vista/