Logitech G15 macro keyboard

Many AP members are knowledgeable about computers. Ask questions and share your knowledge here. (Information are supplied without any guarantee. Do not open any URL or file not posted by someone you know.) (All users can read)
Hyde
Hyde!

Logitech G15 macro keyboard

Post by Hyde »

I kept promising Mop I would layout what macros I have with my keyboard ...

This is my keyboard:

click

Yes, its kind of ugly, and I've never had one that collected dirt like it because of the way the faceplate is on it, but otherwise its very handy.

* The keyboard doesn't show it in the picture, but it is FULLY BACKLIT. This is actually what I originally bought it for. The lighting quality is better than ANY other backlit keyboard (the labels on the key are backlit, its not some gimic like others that funnel light from behind the keys but don't let you see what the key says). The ONLY other keyboard that is better backlit is the DECK line of keyboards (which have an LED for each keycap), but I didn't like the feel of my DECK 104 key keyboard, and its more expensive than the Logitech.

* No, I don't use the LCD display. I might but there's really nothing important on it for AO. Some games use it, and if I had important information going there I probably would glance down sometimes. But, I keep my monitors at eye level so its a bit out of the way. There are a few projects out there (just google for "logitech g15") that allow you to interface with the LCD, and some people would find this quite cool. For those that don't, just fold it down.

* The volume control is one of the best I've seen. A very nice tactile dial. And I use the Mute button all the time. First keyboard I've said that about. Its VERY handy for muting TS, because I have my TS sound output going through a different sound source.

* There is a slide button that disables the Windows key. Very nice for preventing yourself from accidentally popping up the Windows menu while in-game without mucking with your registry.

* There are 2 USB ports on the keyboard.

* Recording a macro is VERY easy ... press the "MR" button, the Macro button you want to record to, do all of your keypresses, and then press MR again. You can fine-tune these macros (adding timings, etc) in the macro editor if you want, but you can record a full macro without the program if you have a simple macro. You can also save macros that aren't currently bound to a key.

* You have 3 "modes" available at any one time, meaning you can reassign all 18 macro keys by hitting the mode button, giving 54 macro functions available.

My current macro setup:

(note: I only use -1- of the 3 modes ... I've customized my hotbars such that they work for Doc and Goraud without changing modes ... and I have alot of room for more macros even on this single mode)

G1: Nano stim

G2: Free movement stim

G3: Assist Target (I admit, I don't use my assist macros much, I'm still trained to use the ones on my hotbar)

G4: unassigned (OMG I thought I used em all, will fix that later :)

G5: Alpha Attack(on doc its fling+AS+perks, on Goraud its backstab, sneak attack, fast attack, and all perks that don't require a previous perk chain to be running)

G6: Assist Caller

G7: Heal self (F1, then either cast heal if Doc or use First Aid if Gor)

G8: Evade perks (don't use these much either, they're on hotbar for Gor atm)

G9: Perk chain 1 (for Gor mostly, Piercing Mastery perks ... hit this one key and all perks fire with time delays)

G10: Unassigned

G11: Unassigned (jeez, need more macros)

G12: Perk chain 2 (again, mostly for Gor, fires off Totemic Rites perk chain)

G13: Self heal (Doc perk)

G14: Team heal (Doc perk)

G15: Battlegroup Heal 1 (AoE heal perks)

G16: Battlegroup Heal 2

G17: Battlegroup Heal 3

G18: Battlegroup Heal 4

So, just to explain ... how fire off a perk chain, when perks don't have hotkeys? I have the perks on hotbars. When I want to fire off a perk chain I do this:

# (shift+3 ... where the perk actions are on hotbar 3)
1 (first perk action 1)
! (shift+1 ... so I ALWAYS have hotbar 1 ready so I can use other actions)
[wait 1.2 seconds]

#
2 (fire perk action 2)
!
[wait 1.2 seconds]

(repeat for as many actions as you need to fire)

And since you're just using hotbar slots, it makes it very easy to setup similar actions on hotbars for multiple toons.

The trick is, use the shift+# keys to switch to your action, then go back to hotbar 1 inbetween actions, because you can do OTHER things while the macro is firing. Yes, that becomes VERY powerful.

This is also why you sometimes see me say something like "Doctorhyde: l#1!o#2!#l3!" (translation: "Doctorhyde: lol")

You can also fire multiple macro keys at the same time, like firing 2 perk chains + a self-heal. If its a complex timed macro they -can- interfere with each other, but usually don't since the actions fire so quickly.

And last hint: If you're firing a long macro and want to stop, just hit a mode key and then hit the mode key you were on before.
Mophro
Giant Leet

Thanks doc

Post by Mophro »

Cool that will make much stuff much easier.
My alpha attack would help in some rsi prevention when macro-ed like that.
Mophro - man of few words - word!
Pass the salt please.
Alphacenta
Leetissimo!

Post by Alphacenta »

Cool stuff Hyde! :twisted:
Lupusceleri L220/24 Agent.
Silversmith upcoming TL5 twink.
Wolfseye L110/12 Adventurer (towertwink).
Lysdexic L90/9 Agent (Mimic Enf towertwink).
Aesculapias L21/2 Doctor (ancient).

Aaaand various other alts.
docksider
Big Leet

Post by docksider »

Hmmm, gave me ideas SendMessage() anyone?
Sillanto
Leetissimo!

Post by Sillanto »

Loook ing at obtaining the uk version of this atm :)

doesnt seem very common as no stores stock it and all online shops are out of stock so i just have to wait and see
Alphacenta
Leetissimo!

Post by Alphacenta »

About a similar thing like this... I have an keyboard with some of those "extra" keys too. It works with a program called Touch Manager. I can push those buttons, but how can I make the buttons execute a script? If I try to set the function for that thing, there are two options: one, a standard action like start internet, start calculator, etc. Two, is that you select a file to be executed (as if you go there in the Windows Explorer and the doubleclick the file to execute it).

My question: can you chain things like perks in a file, that if it gets executed chains the actions you want in the same way Hyde's keyboard does? :D

docksider
Big Leet

Post by docksider »

Alphacenta wrote:About a similar thing like this... I have an keyboard with some of those "extra" keys too. It works with a program called Touch Manager. I can push those buttons, but how can I make the buttons execute a script? If I try to set the function for that thing, there are two options: one, a standard action like start internet, start calculator, etc. Two, is that you select a file to be executed (as if you go there in the Windows Explorer and the doubleclick the file to execute it).

My question: can you chain things like perks in a file, that if it gets executed chains the actions you want in the same way Hyde's keyboard does? :D
You can write a program that finds the AO window and sends all the Key sequence.

Very much cheating and considered unatended gameplay im sure.
Alphacenta
Leetissimo!

Post by Alphacenta »

Oh well, RSI preventing and Hyde does it :twisted:

Hyde
Hyde!

Post by Hyde »

forgot to mention:

the AO client is peppy enough that you can type in macros with the keyboard without delays.

That means you can set up a macro key that does this:

/script1
[wait 5 minutes]

/script2
[wait 5 minutes]

(repeat as often as you want)

So you can combine scripts with key presses and the like. It doesn't have a programmable loop function that I could find, but probably wouldn't be too hard to script in Windows with the SDK.

So yes, this can become a full fledged completely against EULA unattended playbot.
Mophro
Giant Leet

WTB

Post by Mophro »

Want to buy 3! :)
Mophro - man of few words - word!
Pass the salt please.
Doom_Eater
Giant Leet

Post by Doom_Eater »

yay! got 1 for x-mas :luv: gonna script agent alpha on it :P
?/