WMP11 with Vista

Many AP members are knowledgeable about computers. Ask questions and share your knowledge here. (Information are supplied without any guarantee. Do not open any URL or file not posted by someone you know.) (All users can read)
Elrojo
BacoTroll

WMP11 with Vista

Post by Elrojo »

Hi guys,

I use Vista and WMP11 and recently WMP just wont open at all. I cant open it directly or via a media file.

I tried Usil's fix that he found where you delete the registry and then restart the comp. when i tried to open it went to the set up screen, then when i said express install nothing happened.

Its not open in the applications toolbar when i look at task manager. I can't uninstall it with vista. I also cannot re-install as the version i have is later than the version the install file refers to.

I also tried another method where i went to command prompt and did some regsvr32 stuff and then restarted but no dice.

The only thing i have changed is to use Avast instead of McAfee. Otherwise nothing has changed. It was working one day then not working the next.

I have that thing turned off where vista asks you to confirm you want to open a program.

Helpz!
Chrisax
President

Re: WMP11 with Vista

Post by Chrisax »

I'm not good at Vista (I skipped it in fact) but maybe you could try the "repair" or whatever the name option when you launch the CD of Vista?

Also.... get VLC (Videolan) player., last version.

It's free. It's 16MB download only. It works great. You can install and uninstall it as you want. http://www.videolan.org/
Forcenum
Big Leet

Post by Forcenum »

another great music program is MediaMonkey. Works awesome, plays almost anything. very easy to use, and its free as well :-)
Winamp sometimes crashes in win vista (at least the 64bit) but thats a great music program as well.

WMP sucks almost as much as iTunes imo.
Forcenum - 220/25/63 Enfo - Retired
Anumirath - 200/25/54 Meta - One man Army
Saidin - 205/19/55 Keeper - DD in the making
Frontforce - 150/13/30 Soldier - Sector 10 bountyhunter
Rulzern
King Size Leet

Post by Rulzern »

*Waves the MPlayer flag high in defiance against the dirty VLC heathens*
Elrojo
BacoTroll

Post by Elrojo »

well i like what i know and i know WMP. It was easy to use, i had all my music and vids organised etc etc so it is just a shame to lose the familiarity.

I do have VLC but i dont like it. Maybe i have a dumb version but there is no menu or anything and the sound/video stutters alot if you skip or alter the window. I do have winamp but its a bit too cluttered for my liking, otherwise useable and I do have iTunes but i hate it!

no more skipping the issue, fix it for me!
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Elrojo wrote:I do have VLC but i dont like it. Maybe i have a dumb version but there is no menu or anything and the sound/video stutters alot if you skip or alter the window.
No sure what version you have or what your issue with it is. You should try the last releease candidate for 1.0
http://download.videolan.org/pub/testin ... -win32.zip
or just wait until next week for 1.0 to be released.

The programs other people mentioned work well too.
docksider
Big Leet

Post by docksider »

Rulzern wrote:*Waves the MPlayer flag high in defiance against the dirty VLC heathens*
*joins this group and sugests SMPlayer for better gui*
Elrojo
BacoTroll

Post by Elrojo »

FIX MY WMP!!!! Next person to suggest a different media player is getting a super hardcore /facepalm!!
cutiecub
Maxi Leet

Post by cutiecub »

reinstal vista :D

did some checks:

1) check for nero soft has issues with WMP
2) know issues with UAC:ONLY thing that helped for me is turning of the so-called UAC (User Account Control) in the user accounts section of the configurationscreen.
more info:

hello,
In Windows Vista, UAC (User Account Control or User Account Control) is a security system that you solicit warnings when an application requires elevated privileges, when you want to install software, access to an important function your PC, change a setting sensitive system ... etc. so Windows needs your permission to continue:

Disabling UAC is different for owners of family versions basic or premium, but equally simple. Simply edit an entry in the registry. Before performing the operation, consider making a backup of the registry windows.

Click the windows (former start button) and enter the word regedit in the search field and then confirm by pressing the [ENTER]:

Navigate to the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ System and then double-click the line ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin to change the "Value data" value of 2 to 0:

3) issues with codexs :Anyways, I hope this helps others and so far I installed the Vista Codec pack I found here http://www.digital-digest.com/softwa...7&ssid=0&did=2
4) Check and see if your wmp 11 is running as a ghost program. Open TASK MANAGER, click PROCESSES tab, and then look for WMPLAYER.EXE
If it is there click on it and choose END PROCESS. WMP should then start by openning it normally.
5) Start->Run->regsvr32 jscript.dll
Start->Run->regsvr32 vbscript.dll

copy pasted from diff forums:
http://forums.techarena.in/windows-software/1071468.htm
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista ... vista.html

Nice stable bug free software isn't it :twisted:
Grind42
Leetissimo!

Post by Grind42 »

Vista SUxxx /Facepalm

Get win7 :-0 Its new & shiny^^
If its not broken, Your not trying hard enough!!

-DC-Grind42-Nightcrawler-
Damage Clan
General of Athen Paladins
Elrojo
BacoTroll

Post by Elrojo »

grind r /facepalm

Ty Cutie for your advice. None of that worked :/

I even created a new profile and it asked for the setup info for the new profile, but then wouldnt load. So no idea. Hopefully WMP12 is out soon