ISP continuity

Many AP members are knowledgeable about computers. Ask questions and share your knowledge here. (Information are supplied without any guarantee. Do not open any URL or file not posted by someone you know.) (All users can read)
Elrojo
BacoTroll

ISP continuity

Post by Elrojo »

Hi guys,

Is there a program than runs that you can use to see if your internet is dropping out periodically? FC thinks that the reason i crash is connection issues. I plugged my computer into my router but i still get crashes. The ISP i use is a major provider so i;m not sure if its really the ISP dropping out or what.

Reasons why i think it could be:
When I open a browser periodically it will not load a page. Then after a while it will load again.
When i use a D/L program it does D/L and then pause then resume. Not often but sometimes

Reason why it might not be:
When dual logged only ONE client will crash, usually the window i am using at the time.
Chrisax
President

Re: ISP continuity

Post by Chrisax »

It seems, at first sight, that your ISP (or something on any of the networks involved, yours / his / etc.) experiences or causes timeouts. Your browsing issues made me think of a DNS* problem from your ISP, but, as for AO, the connections are made directly to IP addresses and don't use domains names servers.
* DNS = Domain Name Server: the computers that translate human-friendly site names like www.athenpaladins.org into computer-usable IP addresses like 255.255.255.255

First of all, have you tried with another computer or could you? This would allow us to exclude the possibility of a nasty flaw on your own system.

Second, could you, by chance, try your computer with another ISP? (At a friend's home, at work, a free trial offer... something...)

Now, to test your ISP, I'm not sure if there is a software or service able to perform exactly what you need. (There are network monitors, hardware and software, but it's not exactly what you need.) I'll try to have a look... Maybe someone else knows?
Kilajan
Strong Leet

Post by Kilajan »

Got some questions as well..

1. Do you have a router? If you do bypass it.
2. Check your cables, are they bent or in any other way damaged

Kilajan - The nr 1 tradeskill eng! :D
They who seek, will find an answer.

"If the tank dies it the healers fault, if the healer dies its the tanks fault and if the DPS die it's their own damn fault" - "Anonymous"
cutiecub
Maxi Leet

Post by cutiecub »

Do you have any DSL connection?

From work experience I know that line quality very very much from supergood to allmost non working.

Only thing you can do here is ask the ISP to do line tests to see iff they need to lower the line speed when line quality is bad. (for high speed you need a good to very good line).

Also provide them with the info about your downloads etc. My work experience shows me that there not allways honest and say that it due other issues. (In the past we provided then info from the routers that shows all the errors and flaps).
Elrojo
BacoTroll

Post by Elrojo »

Ok,

So thanks for your advice. I was hoping there would be a product/program that would like d/l 10kb/sec that you could run for like 24 hours and it would say the number of times the D/L speed dropped below a certain speed. That way i could see the number of times the connection dropped. If not, one of you guys should go do it!

I do use DSL (broadband we call it). The supplier is Telstra Bigpond. So one of the majors. I do use a router (D-link), i tried plugging the comp directly into the router but it didnt change things much.

I dont have (atm) another computer or connection to try or a combination of any. What i tried was changing ports out of the wall and moving the phone to a new outlet so the DSL wasnt plugged though the "splitter". That seems to have helped alot. I crash less often. Usually when i'm dual logged it get the most problems. But seems to have gotten better.