Help needed..

Many AP members are knowledgeable about computers. Ask questions and share your knowledge here. (Information are supplied without any guarantee. Do not open any URL or file not posted by someone you know.) (All users can read)
caveman
Maxi Leet

Help needed..

Post by caveman »

i keep getting a random problem with my PC... it keeps locking up requiring me to push the reset button.. no BSOD just locks up, if playing a game it locks up.sound goes, keyboard + mouse stop working.

ASUS P45 Motherboard "new"
Intel Q8400 "new"
DDR3 10600 "new"
Seagate 500gb HD "new"
GTX260 "4 months old"
iCute 500watt modular PSU "4 months old"

so it's nearly brand new "self build"

any ideas on why it happens....i get no error messages when i get back to desktop
------------------------------------------------------
Chrisax
President

Re: Help needed..

Post by Chrisax »

It can be 1000 things. :(

Does it happen always after a certain time?

Does it happen with the same software or kind of software, for example when using sound (other than system beeps), or using video more intensively?

Does some software kick you to the desktop FIRST and then it's all frozen?

Can you launch a full memory test from the BIOS ?
caveman
Maxi Leet

Post by caveman »

always when i play aion, and at random times "week since it last happened,then it was everyday at random times"...i read that 500watt PSU isn't powerfull enough to run what i got.forums read that i should have a 650watt at least to run my stuff smoothly.

no motherboard deosn't beep and yes my graphics are on highest setting ingame

memory tests take tooooo long to do
Last edited by caveman on Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caveman
Maxi Leet

Post by caveman »

Crosiar recommend at least 550watt to run my stuff "if i don't overclock..650watt if i do"... £58 from dabs.co.uk with luck that should work. Just have to wait till end of month,till then i need to runs all my games at low setting.
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Memory tests are long but if they fail, you'll have some useful information to start with.

RAM tests use CPU quite intensively so if there is an overheating issue or a power supply issue, you'll see it too.

And you'll know this is not an issue with software or the OS.

About power...

The E8400 power consumption is around 152W idle and 177W with a big load.

For a nVidia 250 card, it's around 167 and 237 (idle/load)

The MB itself and the HD don't use a lot of power (see the manuals or the manufacturers' web sites); keyboard and mouse use almost nothing, fans use very very little.

So if your power supply really delivers 500W (or more likely it delivers like 80% of 500W, with higher peak power), you should be good unless you use almost full CPU and full GPU for long periods. Maybe it's one of the outputs that is too weak.

I don't know icute at all. I can just tell you that Antec makes very good and reliable power supplies (even if some fashion victims want more spectacular and not necessarily better), or Seasonic too.
caveman
Maxi Leet

Post by caveman »

it's a Q8400 i got and a GTX260, and yes it's mostly full load for 5 hours + at a time

Ram is DDR3 10600 from Crucial
caveman
Maxi Leet

Post by caveman »

i;m planning on getting this > http://www.dabs.com/products/corsair-me ... -4Q0T.html
or this > http://www.dabs.com/products/best-value ... 4294963789

which one will be best ?

What i got just now > http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=221195

is it one rail per core for a cpu ?
caveman
Maxi Leet

Post by caveman »

Well i read up on rails, so a gtx 260 uses 270 W "22.5 amps" my present PSU is 20amps per rail so that would be the reason my pc freezes...correct me if i'm wrong
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

I can't be 100% positive (no clue on the values required by your card or delivered by your PS) but if a rail doesn't offer what you card needs, then, yes, it might be the cause of your troubles.

When buying a power supply, you need to pay a lot of attention to the specs of each output (rail). The difference between good products and poor ones is often there. The global mention "600W" means little.

As for a PS choice, I would go for a serious brand name and not a no-name. I've always been happy with Antec, I don't know Corsair's PS (but the company has a good reputation for RAM), and I had a lot of good reports about SeaSonic too.
caveman
Maxi Leet

Post by caveman »

Ok went to manufacturers website for my GTX260 and they say a minimum of 25A per rail is required...

http://www.inno3d.com/products/graphic_ ... tx260.html

i most defenetly need a new PSU ... took my soundcard out "Creative XtremeGamer" out so that i can run things "CLOSE to the edge" so to speak.

I'll take your advice Chrisax and go for an Antec PSU
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Nevertheless, avoid the Antec TruePower Trio 550W which has a 5.8% return-to-the-manufacturer rate over 1 year (measured on March 2008 to April 2009). Flawed model it seems, or maybe poorly used by customers.

Here are the fglobal ailure/return rates of some brand names in the same conditions:
  • - Fortron : 1.4%
    - Enermax : 1.5%
    - Antec : 1.6%
    - Corsair: 1.8%
    - Seasonic : 1.9%
    - Cooler Master : 2.0%
    - Thermaltake : 2.8%
    - Hiper : 4.6% (Hiper has gone bankrupt now)
To be avoided too, Hiper HPU-4S425-PU and HPU-4M530 with 4.8% and 4.4% (but the company is dead now).

Also CoolerMaster RealPower M1000W with 4.3%
caveman
Maxi Leet

Post by caveman »

i went and ordered Corsair 650w TX as dabs didn't have Antec instock also this one has 52A rail which gives me a good cushion with the possiblity to overclock in the future if i need to

http://www.dabs.com/products/corsair-me ... -4RY9.html

http://www.corsair.com/products/tx/default.aspx < the 650w one
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

To prevent troubles as the ones described in this thread, I posted a link here
http://www.athenpaladins.org/forums/vie ... =45&t=5443
to the Antec Power Supply Calculator that helps you when you need to calculate what power supply you need.