PC is Fubar

Many AP members are knowledgeable about computers. Ask questions and share your knowledge here. (Information are supplied without any guarantee. Do not open any URL or file not posted by someone you know.) (All users can read)
Grind42
Leetissimo!

PC is Fubar

Post by Grind42 »

Ok my issue, my pc is 100% stable if watching movies, surfing & music BUT if I logon to AO I am having issues.

Basically I get "dead spots" like my pc freezes & I get a horrid sound like I am going to blue screen, everything stops for a few sec then comes back to normal. If I was typing during this time the type still comes out in my chat boxes.

Ran RAM Diagnostics & removed a "faulty" chip. Running 2.5 gb's & it was the only 1gb chip inside, havent tested it on its own but probably just a compatibility issue.

Ran CPU Diag for 12 hours & all was good.

Changed PSU, & AO worked for 45minutes perfectly. After I rebooted same issue as before.

Thinking I need a new motherboard, its a gigabyte. Anyone have a location for a prog that stress tests M-boards that is free to download?
If its not broken, Your not trying hard enough!!

-DC-Grind42-Nightcrawler-
Damage Clan
General of Athen Paladins
Chrisax
President

Re: PC is Fubar

Post by Chrisax »

Have you just tried to turn off some AO options, like sound, to begin with? Or change some settings? Have you already used AO on this computer?

If everything is fine with all other software, it could be an AO-specific problem, DirectX 7 support maybe.

Also, if you have tested intensively the CPU and the RAM already, you have tested a lot of the MB, most likely.

Anyhow, I performed a search and found that:
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/f ... ption.html
No clue if it is good or not or really free.

I'm a bit afraid that you could end up in killing your MB / CPU / something though.
Grind42
Leetissimo!

Post by Grind42 »

Chrisax wrote:Have you just tried to turn off some AO options, like sound, to begin with? Or change some settings? Have you already used AO on this computer?
Thanks for the link I will check it out.
Same pc I have been using for awhile with a fresh installation of XP as Win 7 was pissing on my batteries.

Hmmz DX10 hasnt been installed now that I think of it. I will install a new game I have like crysis or farcry etc or just the DX installation & try it.

Settings are pretty low as it is. I really need an upgrade :/ But still this PC should work. It cant be overheating & ONLY thing I havent tested is M-Board.

Used 2 graphics cards as well with same results.

So ye just excuse me for not being around lately, also pretty busy at work.
If its not broken, Your not trying hard enough!!

-DC-Grind42-Nightcrawler-
Damage Clan
General of Athen Paladins
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

No problem Grind, we just miss you since last night. :)

AO is still using DX7 and it's now a mess with many cards / OSes that don't implement this old DX well. If you reinstalled something, it could have caused some issue as your "old" software was maybe more compatible. It's only a possibility among many others though.

The new engine will run DX9, possible 10 (and there is no obvious reason for not running DX11 when the Dreamworld engine fully supports it as DX 11 will anyhow be available for TSW, or at least it's planned to be, along with DX9 and 10 ofc).

Tip: if a computer is able to run AoC with relatively low settings, it should be able to run AO with the new engine and decent settings faster than AO runs today: a huge workload is transferred to the graphic card and will free the CPU and the motherboard RAM.

The conversion of the engine is almost finished. Now it's the turn of graphic guys to make AO look nice with the new engine.