WTB new game rig PST

Many AP members are knowledgeable about computers. Ask questions and share your knowledge here. (Information are supplied without any guarantee. Do not open any URL or file not posted by someone you know.) (All users can read)
Mophro
Giant Leet

WTB new game rig PST

Post by Mophro »

So I am thinking about getting me a new rig. Ive been getting more and more Bsod's on this one.
Im thinking of spending about 400-500 euro. I have no clue on what I can expect wrt. specs/processors etc.
I tend to lean more to amd then intel.
Im looking for a complete-solution, nothing self-put-togerther-ish.
Does anyone want to suggest a rig-setup?
Just so I know what would be an "ok" rig i can keep a look out for.
Mophro - man of few words - word!
Pass the salt please.
Chrisax
President

Re: WTB new game rig PST

Post by Chrisax »

Mophro wrote:Im looking for a complete-solution, nothing self-put-togerther-ish.
So you want a brand name system? (HP, Dell, etc.)
Mophro
Giant Leet

Post by Mophro »

Well not by definition. Was more thinking along the following line.
"Look here they sell this system. Its about your price range and has a decent processor/mem etc"
Then i can go looksee around some internet shops in this area to find me a rig thats roughly the same.
I was thinking that a few options put beside eachother would give me an ok picture of what is common these days. I have been a bit out of the loop in these affairs the last couple of years.
Pass the salt please.
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

I see. Stupid question: do you include in the price:

- the monitor ?

- the Operating System ?

Or have you spare / reusable ones ?

I'm asking that because the very first models of LCD screens are already between 110 and 120 euros.
Mophro
Giant Leet

Post by Mophro »

Os i already have.
Monitor I can reuse no problem.
The rest should be included in the deal.
Pass the salt please.
Alphacenta
Leetissimo!

Post by Alphacenta »

BSOD is purely a software problem, you know that right? A format C:\ and reinstall of Windows is likely to fix that (unless of course you manage to narrow down and solve the cause of the BSODs).

If you still want to buy a new computer:

- Do you want any specific brand or don't care?
- Do you want WLAN, if so 802.11g or 802.11n (n is the new standard, and SHOULD be backwards compatible with g)? Could be easiest to just plug in your own WLAN card to a PCI slot!

Have a look on Tweakers.net pricewatch, it also shows you where to buy said systems. Here's an URL with some presets for you, I selected GeForce videocards only - AO doesn't like ATI very much, 2-6GB RAM, 375-525 euro price, 250+ GB SATA-300 harddisk because AO needs fast reading/writing, DDR2 or DDR3 (regular, since SODIMM are laptop chips).

One thing you really should take note of is that videocards in prebuilt computers are overall, shit. You're probably best off just buying a computer with a shabby videocard and putting in your own videocard. The world isn't perfect hehe. So here's your URL for a computer without specifically a GeForce videocard.

For what it's worth - I still wouldn't touch any pre-built rig with a stick. But if you really want one pre-built, that's your site to compare them.
Lupusceleri L220/24 Agent.
Silversmith upcoming TL5 twink.
Wolfseye L110/12 Adventurer (towertwink).
Lysdexic L90/9 Agent (Mimic Enf towertwink).
Aesculapias L21/2 Doctor (ancient).

Aaaand various other alts.
Mophro
Giant Leet

Post by Mophro »

Am not looking for a specific brand.
Dont need wlan. Wired rules!

In the past I've had premade, however I always wonder wether the components picked are optimally working together. Im hoping that with a prebuilt that will be taken care of. Maybe im a bit naive :).

Ive seen some articles about SSD. Seems that technology could speed up my OS quite a bit. However there doesnt seem to be very many prebuilts that are equipped with a SSD drive.

Choices choices.

Err Lup, I thought it was also possible that BSoD's were a result of Hardware failure. Even believe ive read articles about it.
Pass the salt please.
Alphacenta
Leetissimo!

Post by Alphacenta »

Mophro wrote:In the past I've had premade, however I always wonder wether the components picked are optimally working together. Im hoping that with a prebuilt that will be taken care of. Maybe im a bit naive :).
I.. guess they usually work pretty well together, and if you do run into trouble the whole computer *should* be well documented by the manufacturer.

It's just that I like knowing what's inside my computer, for example, I dislike MSI as they make bad hardware (out of experience, after seeing 3 new MSI motherboards burn out within a half year's time). Building your own allows you to choose exactly what you pay for and what you don't pay for, it means you can fine-tune the system to your needs.
Mophro wrote:Ive seen some articles about SSD. Seems that technology could speed up my OS quite a bit. However there doesnt seem to be very many prebuilts that are equipped with a SSD drive.

Choices choices.
SSD is a relatively new technology still, so it's expensive. You won't find it in a premade PC, not in the price range you're looking at anyway. You can build one in yourself, have a look. My Windows 7 install minus games is around 33 GB in size, so with an eye for the future you might want at least 40 GB, if not 60-64. That's 160+ euro for one SSD drive of 64 GB, if not 230+.

The "Next Best Thing" would be a WD Raptor, but those go for 150 euro too. And then there's RAID0 but you can bet that won't be found in any premades.
Mophro wrote:Err Lup, I thought it was also possible that BSoD's were a result of Hardware failure. Even believe ive read articles about it.
Ah, you're right indeed it can be a hardware failure too. But doesn't have to be. If reinstalling the OS can possibly save you 500 euro.. I know what I would try first. Could be you just want a new system too, and this is the perfect opportunity. :)
Lupusceleri L220/24 Agent.
Silversmith upcoming TL5 twink.
Wolfseye L110/12 Adventurer (towertwink).
Lysdexic L90/9 Agent (Mimic Enf towertwink).
Aesculapias L21/2 Doctor (ancient).

Aaaand various other alts.
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

I have some ideas; I'll check and come back to you.

Nevertheless, drop the idea of SSD. Out of your price range and too recent (unless someone really needs them). Give them one more year: Seagate and Western Digital will release models soon, so there will be competition.

If a modern system is correctly maintained and configured, "regular" hard disks shouldn't slow it down in an unbearable way.
Mophro
Giant Leet

Post by Mophro »

Pass the salt please.
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

I guess I found a setup to start with but I need to make sure of the amperage required for the graphic board. I'll post soone.
Mophro
Giant Leet

Post by Mophro »

Very interrested in what you put together. Lup helped me ingame with a setup.
I went a bit overbudget. Very curious how the two will compare.
Thank you Chris and Lup very much for taking the time to help me out!
http://www.alternate.nl/html/pcbuilder/ ... n=BUILDERS
Pass the salt please.
Mophro
Giant Leet

Post by Mophro »

url doesnt seem to work. Be warned Chris, i cheated a bit with my budget ;).

Video: Asus ENGTS250/DI/1GD3 (€109,90)
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955 (€139,90)
Power: Cooler Master Silent Pro M 600W (€79.90)
Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5 (€54.90)
Optical: Samsung SH-S223C (€19.99)
Mobo: Asus M4A79XTD EVO (€94.90)
HD: Western Digital WD2500AAKS x2 (intend to RAID) (2x €39.99)
Mem: OCZ 4 GB DDR3-1333 Kit (its a kit of 2 pieces) (€99.90)

Total cost = €679.37
Pass the salt please.
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

This was my basic solution, to stick with your budget. I was going to propose better ones.
Part            Solution 1                                      Price
CPU             Intel Pentium Dual Core E6300                      73
Motherboard     Asus P5QPL-VM EPU                                  62
RAM             Kingston HyperX DDRII 2 x 1 Go PC8500 1066MHz      60
Graphic card    Asus EN9800GT/DI/512MD3 GF 9800 GT - 512 Mo        95
Hard Drive      Western Digital Caviar Black 500 Go - 32 Mo cache  52
Enclosure       Antec Three Hundred                                49
Power supply    Antec Earthwatts 650W                              72
DVD / CD        Asus DRW-22B2ST                                    32
Keyboard.Mouse  Microsoft Business Hardware Pack                   32
Total                                                             527
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Then, if we can cheat in search of the best PC for the price, here is a second proposal. But first, let me say that I'm OK with Lupus' suggestion which has the advantage to offer (for of course like 179 more euros than my first proposal) a much better CPU. The CPU was the thing that I didn't like a lot in my suggestion.

The video cards should perform roughly the same, as the GTS 250 derives from the 9800GTX and is not a new 2xx processor. (Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia#GeF ... _and_later). My suggestion has 512MB though against the 1024 of the card Lupus suggested but I'm not sure if you can find easily a Nvidia 250 with 512MB. That's probably the reason why he picked this memory, as 1024 is not used at the moment.

Also, I noticed you didn't count the keyboard and mouse. In this case, we'll withdraw from my first suggestion the 32 euros for the MS keyboard and mouse (probably the most decent hardware at that price).

In these conditions my first suggestion was at 495 euros.

I also noticed you had nothing against an OEM version for the DVD/CD, so I used the same as in Lupus' suggestion, which is fine.

Now here is the second suggestion:
    • Solution 2                                       Prices
      INTEL Core i5 750 - 4 cores 2.66GHz               174
      Intel DP55WB                                       97
      OCZ DDR3 2 x 2 Go PC10600 Gold Edition             95
      Asus EN9800GT/DI/512MD3 GF 9800 GT - 512 Mo        95
      Western Digital Caviar Black 500 Go - 32 Mo cache  52
      Antec Three Hundred                                49
      Antec Earthwatts - 650W                            72
      Samsung SH-S223C                                   20

Total                                             654
      Alternatives:
      Asus P7P55-M mother board at 103 euros
      RAM (4GB) Kingston Kit HyperX DDR3 2 x 2 Go PC10600 at 111 euros

Comments:

The CPU is better than the AMD Phenom II X4 955 (and way better of course than the one I selected first to stay in the 500 euros limit).

The Intel MB is probably the lowest price on the market among big brand names. It has nevertheless two possible drawbacks: there is no "legacy" IDE controller (only Serial ATA) and no PS2 plugs (only USB) for an old keyboard or mouse. If this is a problem, you could consider the Asus P7P55-M at 103 euros. The Asus also offers more possibilities for the future (higher memory speeds supported, etc.) and a few more features. (TBH, I'd say the Asus probably offers a better features/price ratio.)

I have no real experience with OCZ memories. I used the same (or quite the same) as Lupus for this suggestion, but only based on readings. That's why I also mention an alternative with Kingston.

Now here are some links and info (in several languages but should be understandable).

CPU comparison - The most up-to-date and complete comparison I found
It's an average of 12 tests on
  • 3D Studio Max 2010
    Cinema 4D R11
    MinGW / GCC
    WinRAR 3.9
    Avidemux + x264
    MainConcept Reference + H.264/AVC Pro
    Adobe After Effects CS4
    Nuendo 4.3
    Crysis 1.2
    Arma 2
    Grand Theft Auto IV
    Anno 1404
Chart Image HERE: http://www.hardware.fr/medias/photos_ne ... 027484.gif
(If this direct link to the image doesn't work, please use the link belo to the whole review.)

You can see the whole test and the results for each software here (in French, should be on the English edition of the site -behardware- soon) http://www.hardware.fr/articles/778-1/c ... l-amd.html

Intel MB http://www.intel.com
http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/m ... erview.htm

Asus MB P7P55-M http://uk.asus.com
http://uk.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=i5 ... templete=2

Antec case http://www.antec.com
http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MTA4MQ==
Note: The power supply is installed at the bottom of the case. The top 140mm fan is not the PSU fan but a global cooler and is installed so the air will be blown out of the case. it provides a three-speed switch.

Antec PSU http://www.antec.com
http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MTIxNw==
We'll it's made to be hidden, anyhow, no?!

Also, for reference as I assume you already had a look, here is the Cooler master stuff:
http://www.coolermaster.co.uk/product.p ... duct_id=21

http://www.coolermaster.co.uk/product.p ... ct_id=4199
(Sure it has a nice killer look for something you'll never see again as long as it works.)
OK, that's a joke as I have absolutely nothing against this power supply that looks well designed regarding cables. I'm just a bit surprised by the choice of only one 12V rail of 40A.

Note that nothing forces you to have a case and a power supply from the same maker.