Whats the problem?

Many AP members are knowledgeable about computers. Ask questions and share your knowledge here. (Information are supplied without any guarantee. Do not open any URL or file not posted by someone you know.) (All users can read)
shartris
Strong Leet

Re: Whats the problem?

Post by shartris »

Here is a great example of a Dell Poweredge Server to purchase:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

It gives you a great idea on what you can get for your money. So for just over $315 US it is a really great find. The seller also ships to Europe and S. America.

Hope that helps,

Shar
Shartris 220/30/70 Squad Commander
Alts: Lendahand / Dedicated / Insured / Hammured / Metashar
AP officer PVM / RAIDS / HR
noobas
Leetissimo!

Post by noobas »

ROJO I MISS YOU!!!!!!!!!

Theres been these really hot soli blond females asking about you bro. I heard one asking when our best powerleveler is coming back.

I think they want to bear your pixels.
" I Don't Like That Man. I Must Get To Know Him Better." -Abraham Lincoln
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

noobas wrote:ROJO I MISS YOU!!!!!!!!!
I second this. :comehere:
Elrojo
BacoTroll

Post by Elrojo »

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the advice. Due to my working schedule it took me a week to be able to get to the techies to pick up my Lappy. Its working fine with a new HDD in. The original HDD that crashed was in fact a Maxator external HDD. It makes a cicking sound when you turn it on. I probably had it maybe 2 yrs. I had purchased another eternal HDD and had it all set up with the folders etc and in my laziness had not actually backed it all up from my laptop's HDD. I mean what are the odds 2 HDDs would fail on me....

Anyhow it ended up being $219 for the parts and labour. Minus the fact they couldnt recover. The referred company technetics.com.au quoted me anywhere between $500 and $2500, depending on how much needs to be done. I've come to the tough decision its not worth it. I managed to find out that my mobile (nokia n900), had all my music on it, so i got that back. My emails have all the referals etc I had compiled over the time. But otherwise all else is lost. But the TV shows, movies etc can all be re-downloaded.

I am just setting up my stuff now and trying to remember the things I need to get again. So far its

1) Itunes (for my iPhone4)
2) Avast
3) AO
4) IA
5) Maps
6) Open office
7) CCcleaner

what else is good to have?
Elrojo
BacoTroll

Post by Elrojo »

probably a question i already know the answer to.

But the dudes installed vista 32bit. My Thingo says i have 3gb RAM, i'm sure this comp has 6 though. Should i re-install 64 bit?
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Good to have:
- firewall (unless you use the one coming with Windows which does a basic but decent job), for an easy, free, light and effective solution, ZoneAlarm is a good choice http://www.zonealarm.com
- an anti-spyware software (unless you use the one now supplied by Microsoft which is decent although not great), Spybot Search and Destroy is a free heavyweight and works well. All those anti-spyware software scan the disk a lot when you use them, just so you know. http://www.safer-networking.org Note that although it's good to have such a software, its importance depends on your habits on the Internet (downloads, software you get, sites you visit, etc. If you used only AO and AP forums, you wouldn't need it at all unless our own sites get infected)

As for the 6GB RAM, 32 bits systems can only use 4GB (theoretically 3GB but they all include a smart feature allowing to use one more GB). So, for 6 GB, yes you need a 64 bits system.
Elrojo
BacoTroll

Post by Elrojo »

yes i feared as much.

I just re-downloaded, patched, installed etc etc all my music, ao, maps etc when i realised it was 32 bit and then i found my 64bit windows disk
UGH
Elrojo
BacoTroll

Post by Elrojo »

ok follow up Q.

Can i essentially take my stuff as it is now on a back up external HDD then reinstall it as is on a 64bit windows installation?
Sookie
Big Leet

Post by Sookie »

just image the AO folders... the rest of your stuff is not needed :---) ;) save all the room for the new engine updates... not everything will run on 64 but most should and you can emulate or "install as xp" when doing the install

or reading forums I found most people have no issues runing 32bit programs on 64..

" Old 20-10-2009
Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Running 32bit WinXP Apps in 64bit Windows 7 possible (with emulator) ?
It's probably no problem at all, but if it is, it will be a small one,
not a big one.

"Somehow" is not an appropriate word here. Yes, you can almost
certainly run them. Several points:

1. The are very few 64-bit applications yet. If that's all the 64-bit
versions of Windows ran, almost nobody would be able to use those
64-bit versions of Windows of Windows.

2. There is no problem running a 32-bit application under a 64-bit
version of Windows just because it's a 32-bit application.

3. Although it's possible that a particular 32-bit application won't
run, the chances of that occurring are rare.

4. I run 64-bit Windows 7 here, and all of my applications (all of
which are 32-bit) run without a problem. The only problems I ran into
was a very occasional 32-bit utility.

No. It's entirely unnecessary."

good luck in your reload and see you soon?

Unk
Hi, Peter. What's happening? We need to talk about your TPS reports. Yeah. The coversheet. I know, I know. Uh, Bill talked to me about it.
Yeah. Did you get that memo?
Yeah. I've already taken care of it so it's not even really a problem anymore.
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Elrojo wrote:Can i essentially take my stuff as it is now on a back up external HDD then reinstall it as is on a 64bit windows installation?
Can I upgrade from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... -questions
No. If you are currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can only perform an upgrade to another 32-bit version of Windows. Similarly, if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows, you can only perform an upgrade to another 64-bit version of Windows.

If you want to move from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows Vista or vice versa, you'll need to back up your files and then choose the Custom option during Windows Vista installation. Then, you'll need to restore your files and reinstall your programs. For more information, see Installing and reinstalling Windows Vista. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... dows-Vista

For detailed information about installing and upgrading 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows, go to Installation choices for Windows Vista (32-bit) http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=82837 or Installation choices for Windows Vista (64-bit) online. http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=83239

Notes:
* To install a 64-bit version of Windows on a computer running a 32-bit version of Windows, you'll need to start, or boot, your computer using a 64-bit Windows installation disc.

* If you start your computer using a 64-bit Windows installation disc, but your computer isn't capable of running a 64-bit version of Windows, you'll see a Windows Boot Manager error. You'll need to use a 32-bit Windows installation disc instead.