Website building

Many AP members are knowledgeable about computers. Ask questions and share your knowledge here. (Information are supplied without any guarantee. Do not open any URL or file not posted by someone you know.) (All users can read)
Elrojo
BacoTroll

Website building

Post by Elrojo »

Hi Guys,

As part of my expansion of the pharmacy I am going to try to build a website. We have a domain name and I have an IT guy who is going to hopefully give me the basic tools to do it.

Just wanting some advice and maybe even some links to freeware that can help to make it snazzy. Its not going to be hugely complicated or intricate as one major target audience is the elderly. Not to stereotype, but you know.

Also any cool ideas or websites to look at that have nice layouts.

Cheers in Advance!

PS. Chris you can advertise AP if you want, just $400/month to start, Mates-Rates!!
Chrisax
President

Re: Website building

Post by Chrisax »

Checked the site I helped Shartris to set up for his company like two years ago:

www.itgreenway.com

Would you like something like that (less sophisticated probably and with another style)?

It uses a CMS (Content Management System) allowing relatively easy changes to the site and the pages, and a template (style) to choose and that can be modified or changed for another.

Feelings?
Sookie
Big Leet

Post by Sookie »

I built a few with dreamweaver and it works nice as well. not to hard and lot's of flash tools. considering you are thinking of a lite page, dreamweaver might be a bit much?

I think Chris is on the right track with his recommends...

K.I.S.S - keep it stupid & simple
Hi, Peter. What's happening? We need to talk about your TPS reports. Yeah. The coversheet. I know, I know. Uh, Bill talked to me about it.
Yeah. Did you get that memo?
Yeah. I've already taken care of it so it's not even really a problem anymore.
Elrojo
BacoTroll

Post by Elrojo »

cheers boss. And Sookie i'll look into dreamweaver.

The IT site looks good, but probably a lot of writing for a pharmacy website. The idea was to have a Calendar of community events, Specials and promotions, Product(s) of the month, Health info link, Ranges of products kept, Feedback/Contact us form and maybe a small mission statement about the pharmacy.

look here http://www.amcal.com.au/home/default.asp

the homepage is simple. Several products on on a ticker. What we want to do however is to be more of a community style page. This way local places may refer people to our website to get info on their company, rather than people just googling "pharmacy" or w/e.

If you like i can email a conception of the layout etc.

Cheers again
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

A CMS is almost totally modular, you customize the site as you want. You can perfectly do the same as the site you linked to, but looking much better.

And then, when you need to, you use the CMS to enter new texts or to update old ones, and they will go automatically to the places you want with the look you want.

Better see an example to understand though.

First point is what content you want, then let's find a style and then a general layout.

One thing though, a CMS requires PHP and one SQL database on our hosting plan. (They usually have that.)
Elrojo
BacoTroll

Post by Elrojo »

ok.

Perhaps I should email you a proposed website set up. But this is my project and I'm just looking for inspiration and tips, so no need to be going and building a whole website for me Chris, cos j00 too busy already!!. If needed we will just pay someone for that :)
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Send info. :)
Elrojo
BacoTroll

Post by Elrojo »

to where??

Also I looked at one CMS program called ModX. Know anything about it? It looks free.

Cheers
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

PM me or chisax@athenpaladins.org if you prefer email for some reason
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Chrisax wrote:PM me or chisax@athenpaladins.org if you prefer email for some reason
Please say when it's sent if it's an email so I can check my junk box if I don't receive it.