Computer RAM

Many AP members are knowledgeable about computers. Ask questions and share your knowledge here. (Information are supplied without any guarantee. Do not open any URL or file not posted by someone you know.) (All users can read)
Bellatrix
Strong Leet

Computer RAM

Post by Bellatrix »

Considering lately that the new game client seems to require more memory it seems to run AO, and you may have heard me moaning about not being able to dual log without big problems, my question is this.... How much RAM would anybody recommend to use to enable dual/triple/quad logging without any problems? I only have 1GB.
AFK for the forseeable future.
Bellatrix
Strong Leet

Re: Computer RAM

Post by Bellatrix »

Or should I just go and get an up to date computer :?
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

On my previous system, after a patch (can't remember what one but quite big), I started to experience huge slowdowns, especially when ALT-tabbing between two AO sessions. I had 2GB. Adding 2 more solved the issue. (This certainly depends on screen resolution, settings, and drivers, etc.)

So I assume that 4GB could work.

My new system had directly 16GB, so I never had issues.

Putting 4GB in your computer shouldn't be too expensive. But if you change your computer anyhow, those 4GB won't probably fit in the brand new one, performance-wise (or even type-wise). So they will stay in your old one.

Changing your system, if the one you have is really old, is maybe a better idea. Depends if you want to try memory first.

Kingston ValueRAM is inexpensive and very reliable.

FWIW, last return-to-vendor statistics I got for a big European reseller say:
- Kingston 0.20% (last year 0.27%)
- Crucial 0.39% (last year 0.30%)
- G.Skill 0.95% (last year 1.01%)
- Corsair 1.18% (last year 1.06%)*

*(Corsair had to face huge issues for several month on their DDR3 RAM
- 4.92% : Corsair Vengeance 16 Go (4x4) DDR3 1600 CL9
- 4.46% : Corsair Vengeance LP Black 16 Go (4x4) DDR3 1600 CL9
- 4.35% : Corsair Vengeance LP Blue 16 Go (4x4) DDR3 1600 CL9
- 3.46% : Corsair XM3 8 Go (2x4) DDR3 1333 CL9
- 3.31% : Corsair XM3 16 Go (2x8) DDR3 1600 CL11)
Bellatrix
Strong Leet

Post by Bellatrix »

Thanks Chris, appreciate the answer :) . I eventually decided to go and get a new one in the end, there can't be that many people running AO on an old pentium 4 these days.

My new specs are

Intel core i7-3770 3.4 ghz
16Gb DDR3 RAM
Hard drive 2 TB
Nvidia GT630 2GB GDDR3
Windows 8 64 bit

Old specs were

Intel pentium 4
1GB DDR2 RAM (upgraded from 512 MB)
Hard drive 250MB
Nvidia GeForce 6200SE
Windows 7 32 bit (upgraded from Windows XP)

Quite a difference there, don't you think

With my new specs, does that mean I'll now be able to experience The Secret World and Age of Conan?
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Yes, it would be a huge difference and it could run TSW or AoC well.

Nevertheless, the Nvidia GT630 is ONLY, despite its name, an old Nvidia GeForce GT 440 relabeled (yes the naming is deceptive as it let consumers think this card -and the models below it- uses the same GP as the "600" series released last year!).

I would recommend that you go for a bit lower CPU (to save money) and get a better video card like for example an Asus GeForce GTX 660 - 2 Go (GTX660-DC2-2GD5). The 660 being a real new generation of GPU. If you can just get the 660 and the i7, all fine of course.

For the current AO, the card won't make any real difference, as AO is currently mostly based on CPU. But for the future AO engine, and right no for TSW and AoC (and most games), it will make a serious difference. On the other hand, i7 and i5 CPU's will run our current AO well.

About the HD, I clearly prefer to have several HD's smaller than 1TB instead of a big one, because the failure rate is clearly higher on 1.5/2TB HD's. (Of course plenty of systems work with 2TB drives but still the failure rate is higher statistically.)

Western Digital and Seagate currently have the better return-to-seller rates, based on statistic from a large Euopean reseller. (But the WD Caviar Black 1,5 TB rockets to 5,04%). FWiW.
- Seagate 1.44%
- Western Digital 1.55% (WD and Seagate were respectively first and second last year, so the inervse situation, with 1.65% for Seagate and 1.44% for WD)
- Samsung 2.24%
- Hitachi 2.40%
Lasarina
Big Leet

Post by Lasarina »

HUGE!!!
noobas
Leetissimo!

Post by noobas »

I can quad log on my Asus G73h laptop.

I think it's from 2010 so it's not that spacey.

I do get a bit of problems if I'm running running running all over RK/SL but I think it's more about synch than my computer.

I do also get some overheating problems. I'm still trying to work these out but I can't play TSW for more than an hour without a crash, then i need to let my laptop sit for a while before I play again.

Alternately, if I dual log in pande, and am playing really hard/fast and moving a lot, and doing a lot of alt tabs, my computer CAN overheat. It did twice wile farming lusts for rodog last year, but other than that I've never had any problems with this computer.

Even playing stuff like star wars, I didn't have any problems, no graphics lag, etc.
" I Don't Like That Man. I Must Get To Know Him Better." -Abraham Lincoln