new pc suggestions

Many AP members are knowledgeable about computers. Ask questions and share your knowledge here. (Information are supplied without any guarantee. Do not open any URL or file not posted by someone you know.) (All users can read)
stokken
Leetissimo!

new pc suggestions

Post by stokken »

I will need to invest in a new pc as one i have now is crashing randomly and keep getting blue screen of death.

i need a pc that can run 4 toons at same time smoothly ,so i can use some mb farming

i dont have very much money so any suggestion for a cheap desktop would be great, im guessing i can use psu from old pc its a 450w i think maybe 500w, and ofc the old hdd

thanks for any help posted :)
:apc:
Chrisax
President

Re: new pc suggestions

Post by Chrisax »

I see many possible solutions.

But, first, what would be the parts you'd need to buy? Just say yes/no or comment if anything special. :)

Motherboard?
CPU?
Graphic card?
RAM? (You'll need a good amount to run 4 characters at the same time)

PC Case?

Keyboard?

Monitor? (I assume no, but asking)

Any idea on your PSU brand? (It may not be a good idea to keep an old no brand PSU, but we'll see)

How old is currently your PC? (to see if the PSU, for example, will have the required coonectors, etc.

Also, if you have Windows 7, 8, or 8.1, you'll be eligible for a free, real and full Windows 10 license when Windows 10 is released (probably late summer). Doesn't work for Windows XP.
Lasarina
Big Leet

Post by Lasarina »

I have a pretty good pc and I have problems with BSOD. From what I have read it can be so many things in a pc that can cause BSOD. Hardware and software, so it can be very hard to find the problem I guess. So easiest solution ofc if you have gold spoon up your butt is to buy a new one :) I myself is gonna try reinstalling system first, then replace rams.
stokken
Leetissimo!

Post by stokken »

Im i have amd phenomen something today , cant acsess since i am in spain

i was thinking intel for cpu around 150-200£ seems like most i heard that run mb use intel?
so would need a new mb. Maybe a Intel Xeon E5-2603 v3

i have 2x 4gb kingston ramlinked i guess they are called so i guess could use those though i need to check when i get home

i wont need keyboard mouse , will use old
i am also thinking maybe adding wather cold fans to cpu and gfx maybe could do a differance but i dont think so.

So mainly new mb and cpu i guess atm and run some better cooling like Corsair H75 Hydro Series CPU cooler
Last edited by stokken on Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
stokken
Leetissimo!

Post by stokken »

A other thing with new mb do i need to check it does not have internel gpu? As like my laptop wont work as it should with ao due the integrated gpu
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Now that I have a better idea of the situation, I'll go look for components.

Definitely, the CPU will be an Intel (for many reasons I can't list here, and although AMD had very valid CPU's). But you don't want a Xeon, for the simple reason you don't run a server but a desktop. Xeon architecture aims at server usage. Using a Core i3 at the top of the i3 line or one of the very first i5 will be much better for you.

That should be on a socket 1150 which will give you some time for possible upgrades before it gets obsolete.

Considering that a i3 of that kind is around 54W, you don't need anything big to cool it. It comes with a standard fan which is not a dream one but does the job correctly.

You could use -even if it's not necessary- an integrated watercooling solution for the CPU. I've been using one for more than three years now. (See here: http://www.athenpaladins.org/forums/vie ... =45&t=6715 ). Those devices work very well now (the very first ones could have been better) and it's simple to install.

Going for watercooling on the GPU would be more complicated and it's certainly NOT cost-conscious. Also it could restrict your choice on graphic cards.

Regarding RAM, you will have to confirm it's DDR 3. (It likely is, unless the PC is very old). If you give information on your current CPU and other stuff, we can guess the RAM type without problem.

Although Intel "i" series include a graphic controller, you will need, for games, a graphic card. I want to reassure you, the situation is way "cleaner" on desktops than on laptops and having two graphic devices on a desktop doesn't pose the problem it does on laptops with AO. (My own computer has an integrated graphic processor too, along with a Nvidia 570, same link as above).

You may want to use your old PC case but as I have no idea how it's made, I will come with a suggestion for a very good and inexpensive case, under 40 euros (Cooler Master) or even under 30 (Zalmann).

The PSU remains a touchy point. Contrary to popular belief "power is just power", the quality of a PSU and the current it delivers is important, especially as the quality of PSU's is affected by time. Mayny generic-brands PSU's are really poor. So we'll see that. Anyhow, good news is that, with modern components and especially the ones we're looking into for you, you don't need much power.

Be back later with the info. :)
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Let's start with those suggestions and see how you feel, budget-wise and all. :) And we'll refine / change.

Cases

PC Cooler Master N200
http://eu.coolermaster.com/uk/case/mini-tower/n200/

Around 39 euros with taxes.

Zalman ZM-T1U3 - USB 3.0 Edition
http://www.zalman.com/eng/product/Produ ... hp?Idx=615

Around 30 euros with taxes

MB

Asus H81M-E around 60 euros
or
Asus H81M-PLUS around 70 euros (mainly gets a HDMI output while the other has none)

http://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/H81ME/

http://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/H81MPLUS/

CPU
Intel
Core i3 4160

2 cores (Hyperthreading for 4 threads total), 3,60 GHz, 3 Mo cache, 54 Watts, architecture Haswell
around 125 euros

Intel
Core i3 4360

2 cores (Hyperthreading for 4 threads total), 3,70 GHz, 4 Mo cache, 54 Watts, architecture Haswell
around 158 euros

Intel
Core i3 4370

2 cores (Hyperthreading for 4 threads total), 3,80 GHz, 4 Mo cache, 54 Watts, architecture Haswell
around 165 euros

Intel
Core i5 4460

4 cores, 3,20 GHz, 6 Mo cache, 84 Watts, architecture Haswell
around 199 euros

All those CPU's come with a fan cooler that works correctly.

Integrated watercooling
Antec KÜHLER H2O 650
http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=706539&pid=102
around 50 euros

Graphic card
ASUS GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB OC (ref: GTX750TI-OC-2GD5)

Should handle anything you need in very good conditions

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6551/a ... dex16.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS ... OC/30.html
around 169 euros

Warning: there is a NON overclocked version "without "OC", the ASUS GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB but it's only a few euros less and only one fan, so no point.

You may want to consider, for budget, the
Asus GeForce GT 740 - 2 Go OC (ref: GT740-OC-2GD5)
Around 40% less powerful but around 110 euros
http://www.asus.com/uk/Graphics_Cards/GT740OC2GD5/

PSU
The Antec HCG - 520W (HGC="High Current Gamer") around 67 euros would cover more than your needs, present and future, with great quality.

Sadly, going for a good quality model around 450W would only lower the price by something like 10-15 euros. (Antec, Corsair; there are issues with the return rates of Coolermaster 500 and the BeQuiet seems to work nicely but uses non-Japanese capacitors which MAY be a reliability issue)
stokken
Leetissimo!

Post by stokken »

Im pretty sure my ram are ddr3 dont know speed on them before i get home
, though thinking my tower is a coolermaster

Atm for gpu,cpu and mb is aprox 435€ +shipping ,gfx card the 750ti and the i3-4370
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Those are the prices you get in your country then? Hos do you feel about the grand total and the options I selected?
stokken
Leetissimo!

Post by stokken »

sounds good but i will have to check hardware i have when i get back from spain :)
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

One thing is the graphic cards requires 6 power connectors (4+2), so either you already have that or you'll need an additional cable, or a new PSU.
stokken
Leetissimo!

Post by stokken »

the psu you recommened i cant find on the website im using
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Point me to the site? i'll have a look.

It would be good, if you go for a new PSU, to get that one. It's a great series. They have High Current Pro above but more expensive. This one is very nice.
stokken
Leetissimo!

Post by stokken »

I use a norwegian site called www.komplett.no
stokken
Leetissimo!

Post by stokken »

Was looking at Crucial DDR3 BallistiX Sport 16GB KIT mbwould take upto 16gb i noticed

most of psu they have is cosair and cooler master