new pc suggestions

Many AP members are knowledgeable about computers. Ask questions and share your knowledge here. (Information are supplied without any guarantee. Do not open any URL or file not posted by someone you know.) (All users can read)
stokken
Leetissimo!

Re: new pc suggestions

Post by stokken »

had a look at this no cabinet or psu selected , was talking to nooba he had a 7i working fine with 5 clients running

Intel Core i7-4790K
Socket-LGA1150,Quad Core,4.0GHz,8MB,88W,22nm,HD4600,Boxed w/fan, Devil's Canyon
Varenr.:817261

ASUS H81I-PLUS, Socket-1150
mini-ITX, H81, 1xPCIe-x16, VGA, DVI, HDMI, Haswell
Varenr.:793714

ASUS GeForce STRIX GTX 750Ti 2GB PhysX
"DirectCU II OC", with F2P coupon : War Thunder, infinite Crisis, andStrife
Varenr.:822448

Crucial DDR3 BallistiX Sport 16GB KIT
16GB kit (8GBx2), Sport,1600MHz, 1.5V, CL9-9-9-24
:apc:
Reapermann
Leetissimo!

Post by Reapermann »

Costs how much?
stokken
Leetissimo!

Post by stokken »

Think i was getting close to 1000$ :p
stokken
Leetissimo!

Post by stokken »

Chris you said xeon was mainly for servers , wouldnt a xeon be able to handle more clients with ease then a i3/5/7?
Yegga
Growing Leet

Post by Yegga »

stokken wrote:I will need to invest in a new pc as one i have now is crashing randomly and keep getting blue screen of death.

i need a pc that can run 4 toons at same time smoothly ,so i can use some mb farming

i dont have very much money so any suggestion for a cheap desktop would be great, im guessing i can use psu from old pc its a 450w i think maybe 500w, and ofc the old hdd

thanks for any help posted :)

If your PC was handleing 4 clients and now sometimes crashing; I suggest before you buy a new PC; have you looking at re-doing your heatsinks; did that on mine and all was improved.

Blue screen usually means Card overheat...
"Never look down on somebody unless you're helping them up"
noobas
Leetissimo!

Post by noobas »

Just to clarify:

I play on an ASUS G73 H with an A quad-core Intel Core i7 Q720 @ 1.6GHz

http://www.cnet.com/au/products/asus-g73jh/

It basically runs any game, and runs any game with zero problems.

I bought it in 2012 but it's completely fine for anything I've wanted it for up-to-and-including running 5-6 clients at once.

I generally run 4 clients simultaneously because I get tired of booting/inviting my toons to teams, but 5 is just as smooth as 4.

I had some issues the other night but it was due to my wife streaming her TV show.

I can run 6 clients at once but it's a bit tricky if there's a lot of movement going on.

mouse pointer movement starts to delay by about 0.2-0.3s so reaction time is slower. for some things it's totally fine:

1. AI raids/mitaar/12man/ APF 35 bosses/ APF 35 defending the towers / APF's in general are fine.
2. Inf missions/ anywhere in SL/ RK/ xan area

What is difficult is Zoning into Xan/Zoning in Pande

Pande is possible but really requires a bit more paying attention and I have to zone carefully then wait as the load stabilizes (1-3s) on each island, and even after stabilization I've found I lose chars occasionally to save place too often for a "speedy" run.

Ideally with Pande I'd play 3 toons 4 is fine, 5 is annoying, 6 I wouldn't do.

Anywhere else 4 is fine, 5 is OK 6 I only do if I really need heavy firepower (notably I'm planning on PVPing with a 6 box and this requires me to stand still, target effectively and burst down each opponent while tanking/healing).

In PVP there can literally be zero movement... but this is good because I'm making significant allowances for movement restrictions: 1. go balls out defensive (engiblocker/4k+ evades on every toon/reflects/2 healers/2 support) 2. as many ranged/AS as I can manage
" I Don't Like That Man. I Must Get To Know Him Better." -Abraham Lincoln
stokken
Leetissimo!

Post by stokken »

I could try with a water cooled cpu fan and change the gfx card and hope it helps incase i can still use them if i deceide to change the other, add some more fans to make sure better air in cabinett
stokken
Leetissimo!

Post by stokken »

Had a little fun what a extreme gaming machine would cost ended up at 7200€/7700$/5200£ :o
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

You went further than your initial requests with your last list.

It's fine (and based on my suggestions) although you don't really need a i7: a i5 as I listed, or a bit better model of the i5 line will be OK and clearly less expensive. i7 is of course great in itself.

The Crucial RAM is totally OK. I would have said Kingston DDR3 2 x 8 Go 1333 MHz HyperX FURY CAS9 or the one you listed.

Both Crucial and Kingston make their own RAM in totally up-to-date factories. (Crucial being actually the public brand from Micron which is a major actor on the RAM market, and Kingston being a smaller -and private- company but the first private company in their domain, and the 94th private company in the USA based on Forbes report).

Here are the 2014 return rates I know (from a big reseller, based on more than 100 kits sold by reference), just FYI, all PC RAM kinds together:
- Kingston 0.36% (0.29% in 2013)
- Crucial 0.57% (0.41% in 2013)
- G.Skill 0.97% (0.91% in 2013)
- Corsair 1.20% (1.41% in 2013)

Regarding Xeon's: actually Xeons and i7 are close models but the Xeon architecture will bring nothing to the running several AO clients. Running several AO clients and running the tasks a server has to run is different.
Basically, running several AO clients is running several heavy tasks; and what a server runs is usually a huge multitude of small(er) tasks.
You need high performance on a few simultaneous things while a server is better with good performance on a lot of simultaneous things. Xeons are made to have a high output for several "smaller" things (more L3 cache memory for example).
The i7/i5 architecture will be better. Believe me, if a Xeon was better, I would have a Xeon. We have Xeon's on our bots and web servers because it's better for that usage. (This is the main server which is overkill BTW but we have a deal on it)

Unless you're a watecooling fan, don't bother watercooling your GPU. It's more complex than for a CPU, it will void your warranty, and will also make any intervention on the card less easy.

Regarding the PSU, I'm really annoyed the store doesn't have the Antec HGC. I will look for information on what they have but the HGC was really the best choice for you.

Here are the higher return stats (based again on the stats of a reseller, for more than 100 units of each model sold : or course this may depend on what people DO with their PSU: for example buying a well-priced one and overloading it):

- 4.46% Cooler Master G550M 80PLUS Bronze (yes that surprised me too, a bad series within the whole series?)
- 3.39% FSP RAIDER S550 550W 80PLUS Silver
- 2.48% Zalman ZM-500LX
- 2.26% Akasa Venom Power 550
- 1.84% Zalman ZM-500GS
- 1.54% Cooler Master B-Series 500W
- 1.49% Zalman ZM-500GT 80PLUS
- 1.47% Corsair CX500 80PLUS Bronze
- 1.44% Cooler Master GX 550W 80PLUS Bronze
- 1.35% Thermaltake Smart SE 530W

The HGC is around 0.95%, was at almost zero (surprising) in the first half of 2014.
stokken
Leetissimo!

Post by stokken »

I will go for the i5 cpu and mb,gpu cant find the ram you recommended

the psu they have most of are corsair,XFX,cooler master and evga/silverstone, i not sure what brand is best,

still not sure what case to get and some extra fans , was looking at a mini tower , if i decide to move to spain i could bring it in suitcase or just bring parts and get new case
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

As I said, I would have picked the RAM you picked or the Kingston, so it's all fine with your choice.

Regarding the PSU, I need to make some research and i'll answer as fast as possible.

About the case, I assume you want to order from the same site so i'll look at what they sell and hopefully I can tell you something. :)
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Addition to my message above:

About the case, the Cooler Master Silencio 352 Mini Tower they sell for 499 NOK (x0.12 for the price in euros, for the information of the readers) is a very good case.

https://www.komplett.no/cooler-master-s ... wer/783969
http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mini-t ... lencio352/

(Don't expect too much from the foam on the case though, but still it does something for the noise)

It's a mini-tower. If you want a medium tower, we can look.

If you get an integrated watercooling like the Corsair H60 Hydro Series or the Cooler Master Nepton 120XL they sell, there is already a fan included that will extract air from the case, so you won't have to add anything.

This is how it looks in the case I mentioned above, for example:
The case has two fans supplied. The CPU cooler come with one. The PSU will have one fan integrated. No need to buy anything else.

PSU... still looking.
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Well I'm really not amazed by their offer in terms of PSU's.

If you want to order everything from them (and save on delivery cost), then I'd say that the
Corsair CX 600M, 600W PSU
would be a very valid choice based on measurements I collected, and it seems to have a 0.59% return rate which is very good..

If you have more options, I would nevertheless go for an
Antec HCG-620M
http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=704775&fid=351
http://www.eteknix.com/antec-high-curre ... review/10/

But the Corsair should work fine. :)
stokken
Leetissimo!

Post by stokken »

Whats the differance using 4x4gb ram then 2x8gb ram?

edit noticed only 2 slots on mb so cant use that if i wanted anyway
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Very theoretically, 2x8 is more easily handled by the RAM controller than 4x4 and slightly more reliable regarding how RAM operations are performed by the system. In practice you won't see any difference on a desktop, even high-end.