new pc suggestions

Many AP members are knowledgeable about computers. Ask questions and share your knowledge here. (Information are supplied without any guarantee. Do not open any URL or file not posted by someone you know.) (All users can read)
stokken
Leetissimo!

Re: new pc suggestions

Post by stokken »

with a bit of putting down on cpu etc i got to 610€ wich is not to bad
720€ if i went with a Intel Core i7-4790
thats the items you recommended so i think that will be my choice :)
:apc:
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

You'll go for the i5 then? (If you don't pick the i7)
stokken
Leetissimo!

Post by stokken »

The i7 is tempting i must say
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

A comment: The difference between an i5 and an i7 (depending on models of course) would easily cover the price of a 120GB Crucial SSD BX100 or Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB (less than 80 euros; prefer the Crucial unless you want the lowest price) and even the cost of a 250ish GB SS Crucial BX 250GB (100ish euros).

A SSD would improve global system performance more than the CPU difference, unless your applications mostly run in RAM and rarely use the disk.
stokken
Leetissimo!

Post by stokken »

All i use machine for is ao and downloading really so funno if would be worth it
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Well; starting the system, launching applications, and loading zones will be faster (although AO zones don't take much time to load contrary to AoC, TSW, SWTOR, etc where SSD clearly helps).

If you use your PC only for AO, that's about it.

What would be the graphic card you would finally go for? This could enlighten us on the CPU choice.
stokken
Leetissimo!

Post by stokken »

The gpu you recommended ;)

edit: the i5 cpu you recommend
Last edited by stokken on Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stokken
Leetissimo!

Post by stokken »

btw didnt notice but the gpu is not OC

https://www.komplett.no/asus-geforce-gt ... ent/827803
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

I meant that, depending of the GPU of the graphic card, it's makes more or less sense to use an i5 CPU or i7 CPU.

This is because, before asking the graphic card to do anything, the system has to calculate data to send to the graphic card.

So, logically, the CPU and the GPU on the graphic card must reasonably belong to the same "class" of equipment:

A very powerful GPU used with a "slow" CPU will be underused; and a powerful CPU won't help much with graphics if the GPU is not great.

So I want to balance your GPU and CPU. This is perfectionism though, as all the equipment I listed would anyhow work well together. :)

A ASUS GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB OC (ref: GTX750TI-OC-2GD5) with a good i5 would be a better choice for gaming that a 740 with an i7, for example.

Now, and until the new engine is released, AO mostly uses the CPU to calculate graphics, and very little the GPU. (AO runs on DirectX 7 ! while AoC or TSW run on DirectX 10).

This means that a good CPU helps. I'm still quite confident an i5 should work OK for multiboxing, as long as you have 16GB of RAM. An i7 is an absolute certitude ofc.
stokken
Leetissimo!

Post by stokken »

https://www.komplett.no/asus-geforce-gt ... uda/807079

https://www.komplett.no/asus-geforce-st ... ysx/822448

thats the 2 oc versions i find of it about 11€ in differance in price
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

The first card you list is exactly the one I recommended at start. It's just fine for you.

The second one is very close to the first one but uses a (show-off still effective) design called "Strix" by Asus.

Strix offers:

- a bit more overclocking set in factory that the first model listed, both compared to the reference model by Nvidia for the 750Ti GPU

- a more silent cooling systems, knowing though that when the card is not working a lot (for example desktop applications), the fans are off. This means you need to have, for safety, some good cooling in your PC enclosure (which would be the case with the Cooler Master case I pointed you too, and especially if you use an all-in-one CPU cooler, as the heat from the CPU is directly sent outside the PC case, contrary to a CPU fan). Strix starts the fans at 50°C on the GPU which is OK. (There are settings to chnage this).

- normally the Strix design performs so the GPU is never above 60°C (which is 8°C less than the Nvidia reference design card)

- Outputs are also slightly different: attention the Strix model does NOT offer VGA output, in the case your monitor only has a VGA input !
Feature    non-Strix          Strix
DVI 	        2 	        1
DVI Type 	DVI-D 	        DVI-I

VGA 	        1 	        0
HDMI 	        1 	        1
DisplayPort     0 	        1
- Asus first priced the Strix model higher than their "regular" (and already overclocked) model. It obviously didn't work commercially and they (or the resellers?) now set similar prices or almost for both models. In those conditions, as well get the Strix, if you don't need VGA.

- BUT the Strix has NO power cable: all the power comes through the slot on the motherboard. This is possible thanks to good energy performance on the 750Ti GPU but two things must be kept in mind:

1) you can't supply extra power which means that you can't overclok more than what is provided by Asus (and IMHO, it's all fine already and you shouldn't attempt to do it; overcloking is now a hobby, not a need)

2) the motherboard must be able to provide all the power the card needs through its slot and without heating too much. I'm going to check that point on the MB you selected (which I recommended)

If there is no issue with VGA and the MB is OK with feeding the card (should be, checking), you can go for Strix.
stokken
Leetissimo!

Post by stokken »

If all is ok with the mb i will go for strix , i only use hdmi cable so vga is of no need :)
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

I checked as well as possible. The power consumption of a 750Ti (Strix or not, BTW) is 75W maximum, normally (which is a huge progress over prior GPU generations). The Asus MB, even it's a micro-ATX, is normally able to handle this without issues.

Juts need decent case and MB cooling, which the Cooler Master case we last selected is able to deliver. ( http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mini-t ... lencio352/ )

Also, as a side note, I'll mention a very useful product that not many people know and which is awesome for some no-cookie-cutter configurations or for local heating concerns or safety:

The fully orientable case fans (on flexible "neck" supports) by Antec:

Spotcool and Spotcool 100
Pictures:
http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=704470&pid=100

http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=1248&pid=100

This is great to bring cooling to a very specific spot when need be.

Not all stores may have them but you'll find them on Amazon anyhow.

Ok, so, now, time to recapitulate your whole configuration and see if all is well. :)
stokken
Leetissimo!

Post by stokken »

i will order after i get home the antec fan and just a get a extra fan for the moment
stokken
Leetissimo!

Post by stokken »

ok so i dont get confused

cabinet
Cooler Master Silencio 352 Mini Tower

MB
ASUS H81I-PLUS, Socket-1150

Intel Core i5-4460

psu