Need help

Many AP members are knowledgeable about computers. Ask questions and share your knowledge here. (Information are supplied without any guarantee. Do not open any URL or file not posted by someone you know.) (All users can read)
Krishnitt
Mini Leet

Need help

Post by Krishnitt »

So AO worked perfectly fine last night. Tonight, however, I cannot get the application to start the game. This includes both the desktop shortcut as well as going into the folder and trying from there. I have Norton Anti-virus, but have never had any problems before and I have not changed anything.

The only thing out of the ordinary (not really) is just before I tried to open AO, Norton stopped a trojan attack and got rid of it. This occurred about 5 minutes before I tried to open AO. I even tried restarting my computer, but nothing.

Anyone have any ideas?
Boomer
The Boom

Re: Need help

Post by Boomer »

What version of windows are you running?

If you are running 10 click on the .exe file and click troubleshooting compatibility. Then set it to run for like Windows 7. That's what I had to do with mine.

Also Norton may have thought that file was a virus and that's why it's broken.

Attached is a copy of my .exe in a zip file. Replace your old one with this one and it should in all reason work.

If that doesn't work then reinstall AO and then add it as an exclusion for Norton.
Attachments
AO Launcher.zip
AO Launcher
(249.65 KiB) Downloaded 1096 times
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

You can also test after turning Norton down TOTALLY so you'll see if it's an issue with it.

But if Norton thought AO was any kind of malware, it may have already removed critical files. :(

Norton is quite heavy and very intrusive.

The reason it worked before and suddenly stopped could be that Norton updated itself and so its behavior actually changed a bit and it decided that it had issues with AO.

Another thing would be that you really go a virus which corrupted some files AO needs. It would be quite surprising though as AO is typically not the kind of software a virus would try to infect.
noobas
Leetissimo!

Post by noobas »

Emma had the same problem and posted on AO forums.

From what I can see it's a problem with Norton.

Check this thread:

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showth ... ojan-Gen-X
" I Don't Like That Man. I Must Get To Know Him Better." -Abraham Lincoln
Krishnitt
Mini Leet

Post by Krishnitt »

Thank you all for the suggestions. Grabbing a little from everyone's posts, I believe Norton Anti-Virus no longer wants to play with AO patcher. I downloaded Boomer's .exe file (I have WIN 7 with no desire to swap over to 10) and I got to the point where I get the message "Dsetup.dll file missing". After reading Emma's post (and seeing it happened only two days ago), I see she got the same warning about trojan.gen.x being detected.

I have the option to restore the funcom folder to an earlier point, so I grabbed one from two weeks ago. Norton automatically pinged it and refuses to allow it.

Sooo....if I understand the situation correctly, I need to get the funcom folder a free pass from norton. After I do that, I can restore the folder to a previous point. I am hoping this will solve my problem. I really do not want to re-download everything, as I do not want to have to re-sort through Krishnitt's bank and re-do tool bars. But....if it comes down to that...

I have a little time before I have to go back to work today, but I am hoping to have this resolved before the weekend.

Thanks again!!
Krishnitt
Mini Leet

Post by Krishnitt »

OK....no luck trying to restore. I found out how to make the AO folder an exception, but Norton is being a pitbull about things. So I am left to scrub everything and redownload AO. I do seem to recall a friend mentioning (years ago) to save a file and you won't have to set your toons up from scratch. Does anyone know anything about this?
Boomer
The Boom

Post by Boomer »

Yeah its your pref folder

Mine is C/Users/NAME HERE/app data/local/funcom/AO/ then several folders you can save in there.
Krishnitt
Mini Leet

Post by Krishnitt »

Boomer wrote:Yeah its your pref folder

Mine is C/Users/NAME HERE/app data/local/funcom/AO/ then several folders you can save in there.
Got it!! Not being 100% computer savvy, I thought I was doomed when I could not locate this file. Not being totally computer illiterate (and really, REALLY not wanting to start from scratch), I was able to find out that this folder was probably hidden and then how to make it visible.

Time for bed, but thank you! Should have AO up and running by tomorrow night (or should I say tonight). Looking forward to meeting you all!!