Video Card Question

Many AP members are knowledgeable about computers. Ask questions and share your knowledge here. (Information are supplied without any guarantee. Do not open any URL or file not posted by someone you know.) (All users can read)
Cherib
Maxi Leet

Video Card Question

Post by Cherib »

looking at a new video card for my system,

between the following
EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video card
EVGA GeForce GTX970 4GB SSC Version PCI-E 3.0 Video card

Now, the 960 is around $350 and the 970 is $630 (local prices)

is there a substantial difference that would make it worth spending the extra cash on the 970?
would getting the 970 semi future proof my graphics card choices if I wanted to upgrade other parts later

current video card is NVidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti

opinions?
Chrisax
President

Re: Video Card Question

Post by Chrisax »

Could you please provide links to the models, because the references you listed are not totally clear; could be possibly different models. (Blame all graphic card manufacturers for not having a clear simple name for each model in addition to tech features. We always have to look for the part number.)

What surprises me is the price your mention for the 970.

There is no such a high price in EVGA's site and nowhere I looked at. (In Europe, from a good retailer, the top EVGA 970 is around 430 euros, this including the 20% VAT)

http://www.evga.com/Products/ProductLis ... et=GTX+970

Anyhow, to be somewhat "safe" regarding the future, the 970 should be your choice.
Malosar
Maxi Leet

Post by Malosar »

Do whatever you can to get the 970. I'd recommend the MSI Gaming version.

Especially to do better for the future, do not get a 2Gb card. Minimum nowadays should be 4Gb.
Cherib
Maxi Leet

Post by Cherib »

http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p ... ign=Retail

http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p ... ign=Retail

those are the links I got through the mailer
but yeah, seems it costs a whole lot extra flying them down here, maybe I should look at importing a card myself
Malosar
Maxi Leet

Post by Malosar »

Yes Australia and NZ have always been shafted, even after a long period of good exchange rates. The MSI Gaming 970 costs me US $320 here.
Timba
Mini Leet

Post by Timba »

I know it might be late, but feedback is welcome I guess :mrgreen:

As an owner of a beastly Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 that can overclock to around 1550 Mhz (Almost equaling a stock 980 ), I can tell you it's one hell of a card! If you aren't trying to cram maximum settings, this card will easily last you two or three years, or at least until after the new generation of video cards (they will have a big boost in performance due to the die shrink from 28 nanometers to 14-16).

I'd personally recommend the 970. But, if you prefer games without all the graphically intensive settings on a 960 can do it's job in light-medium gaming scenarios.
Malosar
Maxi Leet

Post by Malosar »

The G1's are way too big :) No way I'd fit them in my case and I'm waaay past the days where I used to have full towers, lots of fans and overclock the shit out of everything. I still overclock but only mildly.