AP origin?

You are new to Athen Paladins or AO; you want to JOIN AP; you are unsure of what to do; you don't know what to read first, or where to post in; you have just too many questions; you are a bit lost… Find explanations and advice in this forum, and post here; we'll help! Note: due to the increase of commercial or illegal spam, we will ask you to register before you post here. Sorry for this inconvenience.
Elrojo
BacoTroll

AP origin?

Post by Elrojo »

Hi guys,

Not sure if there is already a post for this but just wondering about history of org, who founded? what ws mission statement?

elro
Grind42
Leetissimo!

Re: AP origin?

Post by Grind42 »

Well AP originally started off as West Athen Rangers, im not sure about a mishion statement but Chrisax will probably have plenty more info for you.
If its not broken, Your not trying hard enough!!

-DC-Grind42-Nightcrawler-
Damage Clan
General of Athen Paladins
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

All AP founders belonged to an organization called the West Athen Rangers that I joined in 2002 and where I was an "advisor" and in charge of all the new recruits, doing an exhausting work to say the truth but a work I was happy to do.

Unfortunately, in 2003, a incident happened on org chat (an especially bad and unfair comment about me not paying attention to the problems of others while I was working on the Black Sunday MPs protest march http://www.athenpaladins.org/forums/vie ... f=6&t=5698) and made me leave the West Athen Rangers. Although I wished to return, and despite several friends of mine pleaded for me and explained the situation, the org management considered I was totally wrong and couldn't join back, or only maybe as a new recruit.

So I was there, rambling in West Athen and thinking of leaving AO when Cirrus3, a West Athen Rangers doc, came to me, in WA Superior Store, to talk about the events and suggested that I could just create a new org that many members of the Rangers would certainly join as they would like to stay with me. I declined as it was not my intention at all.

Not long after, Lmnox, my best friend and MP disciple, who pleaded for me, made the same suggestion. I declined again.

Then, Kostoss, the top fixer of the Rangers, who was not there when the problem occurred, discovered I had left and contacted me, stunned. He also suggested that I should create a new organization. He was shortly followed by Weric (MP) and Ironia (engineer), two great friends too.

I really started to ponder about a new org, as I knew the huge work it meant but as, on the other hand, I was deeply touched by the feelings people expressed.

I had a long chat with Lmnox on Home beach, almost a real exam for me, where Lmnox really considered all the pro and cons of a new org. When, after all my explanations, Lmnox came to the conclusion I should do it, I knew this was the way to go.

And so, Lmnox, Cirrus3, Kostoss, Weric and Ironia left the Rangers to create a new organization... for which we had no name.

We all worked a whole night to find some names and then we met for a brainstorming in WA near the Cup. I can't remember all the names we suggested. We dropped the idea of "The New Rangers" as Lmnox was in favor of a clean cut with the past (he was right). Our ideas were all about honour and friendship (after all the new org was created out of friendship). We also wanted to keep the name of our city but we decided that "Athen" would be more open than "West Athen" which is a suburb of Athen. So we didn't go for names like "Strength and Honour" (that another org used years later by the way). I can't remember who first mentioned "Paladins". I just remember that "Paladins of Honour" was one of the first versions. But Lmnox pointed out that it was a bit of a pleonasm. And as we also wanted the name of our city, we tried "West Athen Paladins" to finally stop on "Athen Paladins".

And we said "not too bad... well we can change it later anyhow but we need a name already". :roll:

We decided to create the org the day after, as we had a few things to settle first.

As Ironia couldn't be there, it's Trussel, a Ranger but also President of the org Notum Syndicate, who came and helped us, so we could have the 6 persons required to create the org. He had, I must say, the excellent idea that we should gather when the twin suns would be rising, at the top of a West Athen building.

So, on June, 19, 2003, at the top of the watchtower of West Athen, at 195x191, as the twin suns were rising, six long-time inhabitants of Rubi-Ka founded the Athen Paladins. (Ironia joined us as soon as she could be online.) I was elected as the first president.

On that day, we wrote the first description of Athen Paladins, which remained unchanged:
"Friendship through all trials, Honor and Loyalty above all else.
Every day they embark on a new adventure, may the fates shine upon them"

Short after, other Rangers joined us, like Nethel, and Amyj. Several people predicted that the org won't last more than a few months. The rest is history. One day, I'll tell you about our first towers site at Pondus Beach, how we got it (and lost it too!), how we got Tir site, what orgs joined us, how we built the first cities, and much more. ;)
cutiecub
Maxi Leet

Post by cutiecub »

Thanks Chris for all that nice info. =D> .

Normally I'm not that much in history of orgs and such but this was truly a nice one to share with the rest of us
noobas
Leetissimo!

Post by noobas »

Thats really cool Chris!

It's an old org! I don't even think I was born in 2003....
" I Don't Like That Man. I Must Get To Know Him Better." -Abraham Lincoln
Grind42
Leetissimo!

Post by Grind42 »

Very conclusive, I would say. Chris you should make that post a sticky somewhere tbh. It expresses all the factors in a sense that AP represents. We are a family, steadfast & u have undertaken a feat of "Note". Basically im syaing that long standing members really understand the "game" many are better at one thing as appose to another. In terms of AP it has been my AO home for many a year. I have enjoyed it momentously. To be precise AO has been character building (excuse the pun).

Considering everything & what has been the life & trials of AP, the long time that i have spent with everyone. To be precise games change, SO DO PEOPLE. An Orgs life & everything else in between changes.... this is life.

Chris let me say this AO would have been alot different if i never joined AP. This is a fact, I have been in many orgs so you can take my word for it. Without a dedicated president & dedicated players there is nothing.... AO like most mmorg's takes time & assistance. People can only put so much time into a hobby.

There are many factors to deal with & my comendments to all those involved. There are a few things that imo AP resides by, which i could make into a mission statement.

AP's mission:

To create a safe, enjoyable environment for which all players can participate. A family in which we can grow, learn & fulfill goals. Creating a long standing bond between people of various religion & race. Understanding, co-operation and respect to all who you participate with. Playing AO for satisfaction & pleasure. Obeying the guidelines & proposals laid out by the game & your leaders.

Last of all common goals between all individuals behind the keyboard.

*hugs* I was looking for my project management book cause i dont remember everything involved behind a mision/vision statement although i hopefully got it semi right^^

Basically shared responsibility is needed & thats what makes AP great. Chrisax & its members makes AP strong.

Grind42 Out.
Time to break something :mrgreen:
If its not broken, Your not trying hard enough!!

-DC-Grind42-Nightcrawler-
Damage Clan
General of Athen Paladins
Elrojo
BacoTroll

Post by Elrojo »

cool chris and grind! Very interesting to learn how you guys all started up here. Seems like everyone on AP has been playing with each other for years! Kinda makes a new advy jealous! I'm fascinated (and jealous too) by what it must've been like for you all to start as lvl 1 toons all together exploring AO universe! what was it like to have no direction, no good guides etc? i wish i could say i was one of the first bunch of people to start the game.
faros1978
Giant Leet

Post by faros1978 »

Nice info again ..may i ask for more 8)
Kosstoss
Big Leet

Post by Kosstoss »

More info iirc.

You dont how lucky you are lol.

When discussing a new org we had a vote for president.....

Chrisax and myself volunteered....

Phew! Chrisax won 4-2.

The name "Athen Paladins" was put forward by Werric and myself :D .
Never underestimate anyone who is smiling.........
faros1978
Giant Leet

Post by faros1978 »

GJ u did back there :)
Sookie
Big Leet

Post by Sookie »

Love the notes and Info... and agree with posting a sticky on this one! nice work to you devoted APs. =D>
Hi, Peter. What's happening? We need to talk about your TPS reports. Yeah. The coversheet. I know, I know. Uh, Bill talked to me about it.
Yeah. Did you get that memo?
Yeah. I've already taken care of it so it's not even really a problem anymore.
noobas
Leetissimo!

Post by noobas »

I love hearing the history of this stuff, it's so interesting.
" I Don't Like That Man. I Must Get To Know Him Better." -Abraham Lincoln
Ceokittymeow
Giant Leet

Post by Ceokittymeow »

Grind42 wrote:AP's mission:

To create a safe, enjoyable environment for which all players can participate. A family in which we can grow, learn & fulfill goals. Creating a long standing bond between people of various religion & race. Understanding, co-operation and respect to all who you participate with. Playing AO for satisfaction & pleasure. Obeying the guidelines & proposals laid out by the game & your leaders.

Last of all common goals between all individuals behind the keyboard.
I don't think you need that book Grind, that was a very good mission statement for somewhat on the fly :)

As for the history, It was great! Very informative for the cliffnote version. I would love to see a detailed memoirs(sp?) of the org's history, even though it would be a feat of fancy to pull off :)
Politically Correct is like Tyranny with manners!
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Bump upon request made online
Elrojo
BacoTroll

Post by Elrojo »

Nice to re-bump. But you didnt hold up your end about the towers and TIR.

Also you made reference to an event where MPs marched in protest. And somehow this tied into WAR and AP. Can you please explain