Means: Perk reset NPC, Xan weapons, NCU viewer, and NOOBs

This forum welcomes information specific to booster packs
Chrisax
President

Means: Perk reset NPC, Xan weapons, NCU viewer, and NOOBs

Post by Chrisax »

Friday with Means - March 6th, 2009
This weeks update seems to have gone well...with a few exceptions. Some of you might have noticed that the weapon upgrades I was looking forward to including with the 12-man instance are already live. Congratulations to those who have already earned theirs by defeating either Vortexx or the Technomaster. You earned the weapons...you will be keeping them...and others will have the same chance to get them as you have. As they snuck out early there is still a chance specifics of these weapons will be adjusted...I can already hear the "nerf" cries starting...but at least we'll be sure to get significant feedback on the relative power on these weapons from the players that have them. They will of course have a significantly higher chance of dropping in the 12-man when we get a chance to patch it out. New loot items we were hoping to save for later will be making an earlier appearance than planned to better fill out the loot tables of the new instance...lets hope you guys find them as satisfying and worth the effort.

Questions:

1. When is ________ being patched in?

Soon!

2. Perk reset npc? How much, when and how?

First use will be free. This will create a 48 hour lockout from using it again. Should you wish to use it again immediately instead of waiting the 48 hours it will have a cost of 20 million credits. This should be out in the next update.

3. No...my NCU...I feel naked when others can see it!!!

This is why we ask for feedback on new game mechanics. Soldiers, quite rightly, feel it would be unfair for others to see when their TMS is next available. Knowing this is a significant issue for soldiers means that we can make it so that this specific timer-nano is not visible to others. When we can see that issues of this kind are addressed we can look forward to this new feature...and not before.

4. Reverse Knockback - who gets it?

I have no idea...Macrosun is making features faster than we can implement them. Not coming very soon...so no panicking yet please.

On a personal note:

Can this week be "Be kind to n00bs week!". We did an experiment this week where each of the devs would make a new character and try to get help..and god forbid...an invite to an organization. I think the most diplomatic way of describing the outcome would be to say there were "mixed results". AO is a very complicated game...please try to remember how it felt when you first started out and try to extend some kindness to these people...Rubi-Ka is a dangerous complicated place...a little help goes a very long way.

To the one particularly uncharitable person I met while on a low account this week:

"You didn't fall...you were pushed!"

Have a nice weekend everyone!

This "Means" Cake
Game Director

"I killed my boss and all he dropped was an iPhone..."
Elrojo
BacoTroll

Re: Means: Perk reset NPC, Xan weapons, NCU viewer, and NOOBs

Post by Elrojo »

omg i didnt realise i said that to means :x

Haha they should bring out a top 10 friendliest encounters list and the best org gets a free billz credz
Ceokittymeow
Giant Leet

Post by Ceokittymeow »

Means wrote:To the one particularly uncharitable person I met while on a low account this week:

That's the way to do it right there! I hope that guy now gets what he deserves!
Politically Correct is like Tyranny with manners!
vasc
Leet

Post by vasc »

Ceokittymeow wrote:
Means wrote:To the one particularly uncharitable person I met while on a low account this week:

That's the way to do it right there! I hope that guy now gets what he deserves!

LOL I find it funny how pple tend to agree with Means actions... while all I can see is MEANS HARRASSING players. What ?! after he bugged the player and didn t get the help he wanted he harrased that player?! ... after which he "proudly" posts his actions on forums ? cmmonn that s not professional (but we can all see that in their decisions about the game).
Vasc 220-20-69 Atrox Enforcer
Vasc1 60-00-00 Atrox Enforcer
AFK atm
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

I'm afraid you somewhat missed the point and the context. :) Means is trying to figure how new players are welcomed in AO, both by the game and by the community, what their difficulties are, what can make them like the game and the community, and what can make them dislike the community and the game. It's actually the first time, since AO launch, that a game director seriously and systematically worries about this aspect (even if some things were done in the past). Of course, everyone can think the test methods are appropriate or not. ;)

Means knows that, when the new graphic engine is released, he will be able to advertise for AO and make new people come and try the game. It's essential that those future new players have a good first contact with AO. It's what he is trying to work on. IMHO, using anonymous characters to do that is a decent method and I don't think that 5 or 10 minutes -at the most- lost by a player with a fake character is a big issue.

The questions asked by testers were (AFAIK) general information on the world and the game, and on how they could make friends, meet people, and join orgs, sometimes with very little help requests. IMHO again, there was nothing like harassment, and, as for the quote Means made, he didn't mention any name or even a server. Means is much more direct and "personal" than the previous game directors. When he has a "guts feeling"... well he says it. :roll: :wink:

I hope no one in AP will be (or was) rude any day to a newbie (real or fake one). I'm not talking of professional beggars of course. I understand if someone thinks he is not necessarily here to "carebear" newbies... but there is a difference between not "carebearing" people and being rude. :)
vasc
Leet

Post by vasc »

Chrisax wrote:I'm afraid you somewhat missed the point and the context. :) Means is trying to figure how new players are welcomed in AO, both by the game and by the community, what their difficulties are, what can make them like the game and the community, and what can make them dislike the community and the game. It's actually the first time, since AO launch, that a game director seriously and systematically worries about this aspect (even if some things were done in the past). Of course, everyone can think the test methods are appropriate or not. ;)

Means knows that, when the new graphic engine is released, he will be able to advertise for AO and make new people come and try the game. It's essential that those future new players have a good first contact with AO. It's what he is trying to work on. IMHO, using anonymous characters to do that is a decent method and I don't think that 5 or 10 minutes -at the most- lost by a player with a fake character is a big issue.

The questions asked by testers were (AFAIK) general information on the world and the game, and on how they could make friends, meet people, and join orgs, sometimes with very little help requests. IMHO again, there was nothing like harassment, and, as for the quote Means made, he didn't mention any name or even a server. Means is much more direct and "personal" than the previous game directors. When he has a "guts feeling"... well he says it. :roll: :wink:

I hope no one in AP will be (or was) rude any day to a newbie (real or fake one). I'm not talking of professional beggars of course. I understand if someone thinks he is not necessarily here to "carebear" newbies... but there is a difference between not "carebearing" people and being rude. :)

:mrgreen: afraid I DIDN T miss the point ...

cmmon do an invetigation for what? without even bother I ll know some facts:

-- low twinks RUIN any attempts of new players to integrate into the game. Dunno how you ll feel seeing a toon of even 5 lvl lower than you flying thourgh mobs while the mobs wtf pwn you with our current setup. Subway deosn t provide enaugh trainning to noobs (noobs island is a joke in training purposes)

-- because of LOW twinks there s no REAL teamming at low lvls. It's just asking a twinked friend to do the job for you

-- most of the info shouldn t come from PLAYERS but from the GAME itself. I d say that till lvl 25-40 a player should do fine without even bothering to team. Or maybe introduce a quest at start where your asked to "team" some NPC and see the advantages of having a team.

-- like others posted on forums UI sucks for a newbie plain an simple

--the armor and items that a newbie can get by themselfs are a JOKE... ooo AO has TONS of items ...LOL out of which usable are only tens...(/profession)

-- farm teams RUIN the fun for the game. If you ll get a low lvl into a farm team your impression will be that the game is just a HUGE grind and that s about it. An exp CAP/type of mob/lvl should be implemented thus eliminating stupid XP farming in same place ... and making mandatory a SOLOABLE quest or something in order to ding a new Title lvl. Make the players do different stuff and explore as much as possible and not a "hecks grind" game.

-- easier ways to travel accross the map ... noobs tend to have very low RS. I remmeber that was ruinning the fun for me when I need just to "travel" for minutes to get into action...

In the original post the "pushed player" actually says he s a nice player to noobies PLUS where the heck in eula is written that I m supposed to provide trainning to newbbies if I don t feel like?

IMO this is just a lausy attempt to gain benefits for free instead of having pple paid to help/orientate newbs in game. BUT no... hey look I have the power to harrass some pple and give them as example to others ... maybe they ll learn to do our job so we can design more copy/paste items.

IMO funcom is doing a lausy job at managing the games (see even AOC) only reason that AO is still going is "stubborn" players who didn t leave the game yet. You think that mrs "Means" would ve spent time trying to raise a new char IF the level of population/activity was OK? I personnally think that the lvl is SOO BAD that it caught their attention (FINNALLY) that something needs to be done ... and it needs to be done immediatly (look they released a "half" extension and yet they have time to play noobbies? hahahahahahah I hope they don t xp farm lool)

Lol next noobie that asks me for help I ll teach him to do petitions too ...LOL
AFK atm
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Your "technical" points (the "-- " ones) are perfectly true and pertinent. :) Any of them addressed would be a significant improvement. I can only second your proposals/critics here... Uh wait.. I have even mentioned some of them in the past hehe. :wink:

On the other hand, for example, we can't ignore that one of the main pleasures in the game for many players is to build twinks... I never found an answer to the solution of the "how can twinkers and low players live together" issue. :?

As for what Means tried, IMHO, he did it in good faith and tried to use this method to figure some issues among others, everyone can think different or disagree on the methods. :) I personally think there is much more to do, but it's not a reason for not starting with something.

Edit
Note: I'm not defending Means here for the sake of defending him. I just wanted to re-balance a bit the debate. I, maybe more than anyone, have a LONG list if things that i would like to see changed in AO. As well, I still don't understand why FC (as in "people above the game director") doesn't dramatically modify the way they manage stuff. But, more than anyone else so far, I feel that Means is at least wetting his shirt... time will tell for the results.

PS: discussions are welcome on AP forums. :) This one and all others!
vasc
Leet

Post by vasc »

:) I m only acussion him for "pushing the player" ... LOL .. not for trying to play a noob (for wich you realize is enaugh to ask the current OLD 220 in a polite manner and they ll have a NICE feedback)

noone can change my mind that that s not PROFESSIONAL [-X and to post it on forums ... :roll: ha ha weired sense of humor :wink:

unfortunatly as you can see not even the PROFESSIONALS can debate with FC about the game :(

I still dream about balance before my subscription is done ... or I m gone this time for good lol ( I ll make sure is for good :mrgreen: )
AFK atm
noobas
Leetissimo!

Post by noobas »

Ask fisty how twinks and non twinks can play together.

at low levels, pvm is where twinks and non twinks play together.

just because you're teamed with a twink doesn't mean "they are doing the job for you"

For example 60ish MP in decent equipment teamed with dawa's alt, running into fisty for first time: fisty enjoys a few lessons in how to operate game, is introduced to "outside tanking" teaming with a few people, some discussion about orgs, char setup and general gameplay. Eventually joins org and starts to appreciate game more.

For example teamed with cutie killing ado hecks on twink keeper: Cutie has recently bought SL, without decent SL equipment, she goes to fight hecks. It's very hard, at level 160ish as advy with chirops she is only producing ~5% of the damage. It's tough going, but her heals and buffs help greatly, and the team is doing fine. she feels stoked that she is helping the team, and even though her equipment doesn't put her into the "twink" category, she is still integral in the success.

For example: 206 advy w/ 250 axes on, and a 10m cred setup. Pred chest, and no armour worth mentioning. Playing in inferno missions: while not extremely valuable, can produce decent damage and add some buffs and heals. Char does not rely on twinks, but can help.

All chars mentioned above COULD be called noobs, based on setups, however, all felt that they were included, and each played and enjoyed success, at three totally different level ranges.

The point is, is that pvm is where all players whether hypertwinks or just average players can enjoy the game, each feeling a sense of success as the teams fulfills the objectives. Twinks are made for pvp, but can also play in pvm and in pvm they are not average, but can team with average players and help them get established, help them enjoy the game, and even enjoy the satisfaction of helping others.

As such, if you are a noob coming off the island, you can at least share the experience of the game teamed with other noobs or with other noobs and maybe a twink. As long as you don't go to tir arena during an AP lvl 5 tourny, you'll probably feel just fine about your char.

As for getting a few lessons via a quest or whatever, I think that is an awesome idea. I think there should be a players guide quest that highlights skills relevant to your class, how to implant, how to use IP, and what stats are relevant for your prof, and what weapon and armour stats mean.

(Imagine a quest where it is the quest objective to implant a level 20 froob "symb" profession specific, where intermediate quest updates would come with recieving an NCU buff from a NPC fixer, an agi buff from an NPC agent, and a stam buff from an NPC enf, a treatment buff from an NPC doctor, the treatment buff from the clinic, and the quest reward being the froob "symb" and the final reward being 10 tokens or something universally useful)

^^uber useful for noobies just starting.
" I Don't Like That Man. I Must Get To Know Him Better." -Abraham Lincoln
cutiecub
Maxi Leet

Post by cutiecub »

I agree on wat noobas says.

I can still remember when I first played AO and went to subway where i did zero damage.
Teamed up with some people who did 20 times more damage and I was stunned ofc.
So ive asked what I did wrong and what I needed to do to fix this.
Got some nice advice, I think i even got some money few 100 k or so to help me.

Some people will not like this but those people are not made for playing games like AO in my opinion. They you need to play wow on a priv server where you get insta lvl 70 (will be 80 now i guess). Then they will start to whine that they have no gear ofc :-) ah bunch of crybabies.

Anyhow you can't expect that when you play a week that you will be as good like someone who spend 2 years of his life in AO. Specially since AO is quitte complicated at start.
This is a pro and con at the same time, lazy players will not like this (they will like wow), other players will enjoy the complexity of things and twinking.
In wow they only thing you have to think is where do i get item X, in AO thats the easy part, the question here is how the hell do i get part x (with 15 or 20 times implant and gear swapping and buff hunting)on as soon as possible and without OE offcourse.

And yes I get used to the gimp feeling, but try every time to learn a bit extra, ask advice, think how I can get better and do so. I do more then 5% now noobas :-) and I even need to work hard on better axes still. Twinking for others is sometimes so easy, for me its hard most of the time due lack of funds and no lvl 220 support toon and my limited online time.

So the only limit for me is PVP because most of the setups are super exp, good thing I don't like pvp anyway :-)

twink or not, froob or not, rich or dead poor there is in my experience one thing that will make AO work or not and that is to be a member of a great org. Players who will provide info, help and even gear like I noticed when joining AP.

So my advice: join AP and all is going to be fine :apftw:
Last edited by cutiecub on Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rulzern
King Size Leet

Post by Rulzern »

Great posts noobas and cutie.