Battlestations wars

This forum welcomes information specific to booster packs
Chrisax
President

Battlestations wars

Post by Chrisax »

The following is of course pure speculations... :scared:

Why should AP be the only large org not aware...

A Goliath battlestation (the official name) has a core (or "hub") and 3 "legs".

This means 4 control points.

At each control point there is a console, working like any device in AO when you have to use it.

You have two steps to take the control of a console: hacking and claiming.

Someone must get close to the console and click it to start hacking. Hacking takes a moment (not set and maybe won't be set before public release).

During this time, the hacker can't do anything including healing himself or casting TMS or anything.

The enemy can try to stop the hacking phase by killing (possibly just hitting hard enough? Not sure) the hacker. It seems that the hacker can be hit only within melee range (although you can shoot him with a range weapon but within melee range... not sure about that). This means you can't AS him from 30 meters away.

So the hacker HAS to be protected by his faction (better have some mechs there + some anti-mechs units)

After the hacking delay, the hacker has to click AGAIN on the console within 5 seconds to own the control point.

When done, the only thing enemies can do is clearing the field enough so they can send their own hacker to the console.

Owning a console gives you points, calculated on how long you hold the console.

During all the battle a countdown runs. When the countdown is over, the winner is the side with the more points.

It is unclear if owning the 4 points long enough gives you the win regardless of the countdown.

On the other hand it seems that if a side gets a certain amount of points (the win total), then this side wins, regardless of the countdown. (ie one side clearly prevailed)

The number of people in a battlestation is capped. The fight SHOULD start only when enough players of each side are on the battlestation.

Therefore, to enter the fight you have to go to ICC (the landpad) and register to be warped to the battlestation. When the cap is reached, you can't join the fight until someone leaves the battlestation (ie drops the fight; if you die you just respawn on the station).

There is NO spawn point camping. The spawn point is safe for a moment so you can even buff.

... And you need to buff because ALL BUFFS are CANCELED when you are warped. This means that you CAN(T go to a battlestation at level 50 with the buffs casted by a level 220 on you.

Once in the station, you can go to the fight, or get to the hangar and get the best mech you can depending on what your side has researched.

You basically have a choice between fast moving mechs (good for rushes) and heavy behemoths. (Good for massive attacks and for securing an area). But research options can modify the mechs.

Of course you can remain infantry and also you can use an anti-mech weapon. A group of anti-mechs weapons = dead mech, even a big one. On the other hand, anti-mechs weapons shouldn't really affect infantry.
Sillanto
Leetissimo!

Post by Sillanto »

Do pet proffesions get to keep pets when they warp up or are the pets canncelled as well?
You want it made ..... See me
You want it broken ... See me
You want it fixed....... Send your hampster to FC
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Interesting question... I guess pets are warped with their master atm... which could be a problem for twinked engies entering the station with overpowered pets.
Sillanto
Leetissimo!

Post by Sillanto »

Yeah as it is quite possible for a 75 twink to cast a high warbot if not slayer then keep it out of oe without mochies.

This would basically be insta death to anyone.

Ive been thinking about how the self buffs will affect battlestation wars, and the news isnt great for all the current lowbie twinks. Its going to require a new breed of completely self reliant toons or toons able to work as a team. NR is going to lose some of its status, while it will be great becasue no-one will be able to root/drain you also are going to be fighting with a pretty empty ncu, so there wont be any point in having large ncu's anymore.

the profs with the ability to heal themselves will start to take a much bigger role. Adv's will come out tops imo. weapon choices will still be intresting. those profs with an inate ability fro high evades will be very hard to kill as without outside buffs i doubt there will be AR's higher than about 650 with CSS maybe agents could get 700 if they arent NR. those professions that can outheal their opponent will also do well. Altho with no behe, rrfe things will get scary as alot of profs will have the ability to insta gank i.e. non-nr agents can use a crit nano attack get one crit then AS + gumboil and i doubt there is anyone left alive :/

More ideas to come :P
Alphacenta
Leetissimo!

Post by Alphacenta »

Hmmmmm interesting :D Finally, I now know that I want to build my next twinks for a selfbuffed war :D Taufix is selfbuff-war-ready, but that's just a L8. Until now, I only met -one- person that managed to beat me in a selffed fight but that was after 5 mins of fighting, and I didn't have my grafts n pills then :twisted:

But, I think that Fixer > other profs now.. Great evades, roots/snares, they have it all :) Well let's just say I build my L100 engi for selfbuffed pvp too now instead of just OSB 8)
Lupusceleri L220/24 Agent.
Silversmith upcoming TL5 twink.
Wolfseye L110/12 Adventurer (towertwink).
Lysdexic L90/9 Agent (Mimic Enf towertwink).
Aesculapias L21/2 Doctor (ancient).

Aaaand various other alts.
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

About the fact you have to be rebuffed on the battlestation, TBH, I remember when Notum wars was released, we almost all complained that being able to be buffed with full benefits by a character 5 times (or so) higher than you was just stupid, as the victory would depend on the best buffers available.

A suggestion I made in the AO beta (yes the first beta) was that buffs effects should be capped in a *relative* way, based on the skills or abilities of the character that is buffed. For example, no matter what the buff is, it can't do more than doubling (or anything else) your skill (and, that way, at low levels, a soldier with some buffs would always be better with an assault rifle than an overbuffed MP, just for example). Although FC thought it was an interesting way to work on, it never happened.
(The same thing happened to the progressive skill menus... at start and for 20 levels you could only change abilities, then skills wuld have been progressively introduced... not enough time to implement)

Months later, witnessing players could twink MUCH more than they expected (I remember a friend with a 40- agent using a ql 200 weapon), they finally introduced the over-equip system (and much much later, the skill cap) but couldn't apply it to the implants or buffs, due to the way those work.

It seems that battlestations is an attempt to restrict "overbuffing"... but remember that on RK, EVERYTHING is still possible. It's just two different PvP situations, forcing people into new tactics.

As I said already in other posts... time will tell.

edited: "skills or abilities", there was a typo
Last edited by Chrisax on Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sillanto
Leetissimo!

Post by Sillanto »

@tl3
This is going to annoy alot of the current pvp'ers as it means having to have 2 different twinks, those for NW and those for LE. Certainly those that rule rk are going to suffer badly on the stations as their ruling of rk is dominated by the fact they can all be hugely OSB. Of course there will still be a few profs left out like shades who just dont have the pvp capacity at that level.

Fixers will die because that will have to use lower GA's and ofc they wont have the best hots anymore so will struggle to outheal AS's. Agents might find a niche but it will be tough due to the low amount of healing they have. I wouldnt be surprised to see more non-NR agents with catawauls using gank tactics on stations rather than the perens. Enf's will probably stay the same altho they will suffer without the outside buffs. a low hp enf might do quite well.

The real heros look to be engi's and adv's, engis @ 75 are able to cast the +2 spec blocker which combined with increased evades and cocoon might make them hard to kill but no impossible. But adv's with both healing and moderate DD will possible outclass all. The adv weapn choices are low so they may not rule the world completely yet. A doc might do well if they can outheal the AS's.

Do we know yet what level the various battle stations will be? As im still working of the RK pvp system. i.e. what level ranges will the stations be?

Edit first ideas done :P see http://auno.org/ao/equip.php?saveid=52235
Sillanto
Leetissimo!

Post by Sillanto »

What sort of percentage is the mech warfare on the stations?

I would also like to retract my statement about engis doing well on the stations...They will suck. Unfortunately it is impossible to cast a big enough slayer and keep it active while attaining the hp and evades to keep the engi alive.

Ive studied blastwaves setup and it seems it can still compete on a relative scale to everyone else by switching in evade ncu's, his peren will stay 75% but shouldnt fall into the 50%

It also seems that an untwinked but structured team will defeat a twink team. A team consisting of a doc/adv/sol/agent plus 2 more should have the alpha power and healing to take on most.
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Just a few notes.

No idea on how the final battlestations will be levelwise.

Let's make something clear, just in case: you enter the stations UNbuffed (or DEbuffed, if you prefer) but inside the stations you are not self-buffed. You can in fact be buffed by anyone inside. Welcome at spawn point, MPs ! Get your Mochams ready.

If you consider yourself not ready for infantry PvP, even because you are just waiting for some buffs, jump into a mech... that's one of the reason there are mechs. In that case, you are vulnerable to other mechs and to anti-mechs infantry weapons, but you don't have to care about any other.

No idea what % mechs will represent in wars. My guess is probably a lot at start (people trying), then much less (people owned because they overestimated mechs), then it should settle and hopefully some tactics will be figured out.
Sillanto
Leetissimo!

Post by Sillanto »

I understand that you can be buffed once inside but i really doubt there will be many lowbie mp's taking part in the pvp (I may be wrong). In high level combat im looking forward to taking my engi out :P
Alphacenta
Leetissimo!

Post by Alphacenta »

Sillanto wrote:I understand that you can be buffed once inside but i really doubt there will be many lowbie mp's taking part in the pvp (I may be wrong). In high level combat im looking forward to taking my engi out :P
Evade MP, maybe... But only around 110ish when they can self the top pets :)
Lupusceleri L220/24 Agent.
Silversmith upcoming TL5 twink.
Wolfseye L110/12 Adventurer (towertwink).
Lysdexic L90/9 Agent (Mimic Enf towertwink).
Aesculapias L21/2 Doctor (ancient).

Aaaand various other alts.
Doom_Eater
Giant Leet

Post by Doom_Eater »

Alphacenta wrote:Evade MP, maybe... But only around 110ish when they can self the top pets :)
I saw a L81 meta with TEP selfed :P so this could get sick :D
?/
/?
/ \ help bob multiply himself so he can takeover the world easier