Moving

General messages, related to AP or AO. (All users can read)
Kyttn
King Size Leet

Moving

Post by Kyttn »

Unfortunately we have discovered that our neighbour where we are currently renting is a psychopath. We have decided that we cannot keep living here and have found a new place to rent. If all goes well we will shift early next week. However, we cannot transfer the internet connection till a phone is on a the new place. So Miinii and I will probably be offline for a short while.

Don't worry, we are coming back.
Kilajan
Strong Leet

Post by Kilajan »

Oki.
They who seek, will find an answer.

"If the tank dies it the healers fault, if the healer dies its the tanks fault and if the DPS die it's their own damn fault" - "Anonymous"
Anonfx
Giant Leet

Post by Anonfx »

:? nerf psychopaths, see you ingame when you get back.
Derkiet
Big Leet

Post by Derkiet »

Hey, just because I moved in next door to you doesn't mean you need to leave. :cry:
cutiecub
Maxi Leet

Post by cutiecub »

the owner a psychopat? Did the body in the garage told you that :D
Anonfx
Giant Leet

Post by Anonfx »

lol der
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

:shock: Weird indeed... I hope everything will be OK in your new home, and be back soon.
Alphacenta
Leetissimo!

Post by Alphacenta »

Scary Kyttn.. :shock: Stay unhurt, and be back soon :D
Lupusceleri L220/24 Agent.
Silversmith upcoming TL5 twink.
Wolfseye L110/12 Adventurer (towertwink).
Lysdexic L90/9 Agent (Mimic Enf towertwink).
Aesculapias L21/2 Doctor (ancient).

Aaaand various other alts.
Kyttn
King Size Leet

Post by Kyttn »

OK The move has occurred and we are relocated in a nice quiet house next to a church. Much better neighbours! :D

The internet if now connected. :) Unfortunately, the only phone point is in the hallway next to the front door. I have tried to add a wireless router to the LAN so I setup the PCs. However, the only time I managed to connect to the net via the wireless it ran so slow it was worse than dial-up! :( I currently have my PC on a card table in the hallway at the front door just so I can reach the modem via an ethernet cable. Any suggestions welcome.

Modem is Netgear DG814
Router is D-Link DI-524UP
Sillanto
Leetissimo!

Post by Sillanto »

First suggestion is go down to your local pc shop and buy a 20ft ethernet cable and run it to a more comfortable place for you to have a computer. :)

As for the wireless problem that sounds like a signal problem. What does windows show your signal and connection rate at?

Are there lots of walls between where you had the pc and the access point. Have you got any powercables running round / between the pc and access point as these can cause problems. Try and get the arial on both (if the access point has an arial) in the same orientation. See if rotating the PC case so the back points towards the router helps?
Last edited by Sillanto on Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You want it made ..... See me
You want it broken ... See me
You want it fixed....... Send your hampster to FC
Hexy
Champion Leet

Post by Hexy »

Sillanto wrote:First suggestion is go down to your local pc shop and buy a 20ft ethernet cable and run it to a more cumfortable place for you to have a computer. :)

As for the wireless problem that sounds like a signal problem. What does windows show your signal and connection rate at?

Are there lots of walls between where you had the pc and the access point. Have you got any powercables running round / between the pc and access point as these can cause problems. Try and get the arial on both (if the access point has an arial in the same orientation. See if rotating the PC case so the back points towards the router helps?
err yah what he said...and come back soon!!! :)
Kyttn
King Size Leet

Post by Kyttn »

Signal strength is running about 90%+. I am the only wireless network that I can detect out here.

Part of the problem is (I think) that the modem address is 192.168.1.1 while the router address is 192.168.0.1 The one time I did manage to get the two of them talking was when I changed the router's default address to 192.168.1 240 However, as I said it ran like a wet year! Trying to connect to the Router's own admin functions was slow and while the internet was there it would have taken an hour to load a basic page.
Sillanto
Leetissimo!

Post by Sillanto »

hmm odd. the first thing i spotted is that the 0/1 difference puts the router and modem on different networks (i believe) Unless you have any settings you really need i suggest a doigna hardware reset on both modem and router, the manual should tell you how to do this but it usually means holding a reset button down on the back for 10s~

Then turn on the router.

Then turn on the PC, make sure its set to automatically get an ip. (Wireless)

Once on chekc you have a connection to the router wirelessly. Easiest way to check is to access the routers internal settings webpage, see manual.

Ones thats working turn on the modem and plug it into the modem/uplink port on the router. Hopefully at this point the modem and the router will talk to each other :)
You want it made ..... See me
You want it broken ... See me
You want it fixed....... Send your hampster to FC
canuckg5
Strong Leet

Post by canuckg5 »

Kyttn wrote:Signal strength is running about 90%+. I am the only wireless network that I can detect out here.

Part of the problem is (I think) that the modem address is 192.168.1.1 while the router address is 192.168.0.1 .

yeah that is strange, seems that you have 2 routers lined up, i have never heard of a ISP providing an ip address the same as a router does. just for test purposes get a direct line to your computer bypassing the router, then go to START>run>cmd>ipconfig. see if the ip address that shows is 192.168.1.1, if it is contact your isp and try to get a different ip address assigned.
Who is your isp?
Kyttn
King Size Leet

Post by Kyttn »

Sorry for the confusion Canuk, the 192.168.1.1 is the "internal LAN address" of the Modem that connects to the ISP (The Netcomm).

Currently, Sill's first suggestion has won out and we have rearranged the lounge room to squeeze in a table and chairs for the PCs and run 2 10m ethernet cables around the walls to our PCs.

Sill, your suggestion about changing the Router (D-Link) IP to put it on the same LAN as the modem ... When I tried that, connecting to the router's admin pages took approx 60s to download the pages wirelessly (approx 1/2s with default settings) and internet did work ... but was slower than dial up.

I do not know what was interferring with the transmission or operation. I have tried forcing the Modem and the Router to be the default DHCP, but neither option made any difference. I am thinking that this particular router does not like to be used just as an access point.