REVENANT level 160: tests vs Enmities, vs demons, etc

A place to discuss and compare items, armors, weapons, etc., and see how to combine them
Chrisax
President

REVENANT level 160: tests vs Enmities, vs demons, etc

Post by Chrisax »

FOREWORD: A PET NOW FOR THE FROOBS COMMUNITY

This text was originally written in 2003 for the MP Community and the organization Athen Paladins. A few things have been updated, especially thinking of “Froobs” accounts that can’t use SL pets.
If you can use SL pets, then you have no real reason to worry about Revenants pets, especially as the user level lock of the Tormented Revenant is higher than the one for Biazu while the Tormented Revenant is inferior to Biazu in SL (nice damage but easily killed). The Tormented Revenant is better than Biazu in most RK situations, though. But Biazu can be bought while you have to farm for the Revenants.

The Revenant pet level 160 was introduced with the Inner Sanctum dungeon, in 2003, before SL.
Another Revenant from Inner Sanctum is available, level 202, which is the best RK MP pet but inferior to Biazu (SL pet). The present document deals only with the level 160 one. If no precision is given in this document, the word "revenant" applies ONLY to the level 160 one.

When a new item or a new pet is introduced, two main questions are asked:
- Is it good, and HOW GOOD is it?
- Where/when should I use it?

After weeks of test, we'll try to answer these questions here.

You'll find hereafter:
- Tests of the 160 Revenant versus other MP pets of Rubi-Ka (enmities, demons)
- Reports and remarks on the 160 Revenant in RK missions of its level, and of superior levels, teams or solo
- Reports and remarks on the 160 Revenant in PvP situations and in SL

Before going further, I would like to thank all the people who helped me in these tests in 2003, and especially Lmnox, MP 142, Rimor, from Athen Paladins, for his great contribution in the pet vs pet tests, as well as for his great patience! Thanks also to Kostoss, fixer 154, Rimor, from the same org, who provided the urn I used for the last tests.

Chrisax, MP 178, Rimor at the time of writing… today MP 220 ;)

A REMINDER ABOUT THE REVENANT LEVEL 160

The Revenant is not a "nano-pet" but an "item-pet"; it is produced by the use of a special item, the Iron-bound funeral urn, from Inner Sanctum.

You can cast a Revenant while running as you don’t have to cast a nano but just use an item!

To produce the Revenant 160, you must have:

-Saemu's crystalizer
http://aomainframe.info/showitem.asp?AOID=206753

-Iron-bound Funeral Urn
http://aomainframe.info/showitem.asp?AOID=206253

These two items are dropped ONLY in Inner Sanctum; it seems at floors 1 and 2 for the crystalizer, and floor 2 (sometimes 3 also) for the urn.

You have to first use the crystalizer, to produce:
- Concentrated Crystalized Energy
http://aomainframe.info/showitem.asp?AOID=206751

The crystalizer can be used as often as you need.

Then you combine this energy (that will not last) with the urn and get
- Energized Iron-bound Funeral Urn, that is NODROP and UNIQUE (do not try to produce another energized urn while you have already one)
http://aomainframe.info/showitem.asp?AOID=206255

This energized urn allows you to produce 10 (ten) Revenants level 160, and has to be replaced by a new one after that. Right-click on the urn to produce the Revenant.

Casting time is very long: 20 seconds (this means you cannot produce your pet in emergency)

The Revenant 160 lasts for 2 hours (much more than usual pets).

Please note that if you are disconnected, go link dead, crash, and can’t relog fast enough, you will likely LOSE your Revenant, as any other pet! This, of course is a big problem because the number of Revenants you can produce with the same urn is limited to 10.

To be able to use the energized urn and the crystalizer, you must have:
Your Level >= 135
Your Material Creation >= 853
Your SpaceTime >= 853
Your Current Nano points >= 3001 (for using the energized urn only)
And have no other combat pet at the same time.

These requirements are EXTREMELY high compared to the level of the pet.
For example, a Fiend demon (although not an interesting pet), level 191, requires 847 TS and MC, and a Transcendent Enmity, level 179, 811 TS and MC! The Superior Enmity, level 161, requires 754 TS and MC.

In 2003 I added: “Finally, we have to point out that getting the items to produce the Revenant requires gathering a high-level team, kind enough to camp with you in a dangerous high-level dungeon, in which the urns are random drops. To our knowledge, no other profession has to do such a job in order to get a new weapon, which, as we'll see, is interesting but not great.” Of course, now, IS is much easier, at least on floors 1 and 2, for orgs where levels 200+ can help you.

Pets stats reminders:

Life points
Tormented Revenant : 21503
Revenant: 9956
Cacodemon: 24411
Demon:17836
Fiend: 13053
Trans. Enmity: 11854

Also, it seems that both the Revenant pets lack ACs and evades, as they are easily hit and easily damaged. The good think is they have a better nano resist than other pets to roots, mezzes, and charms.

Attack ratings and hits:
(The Revenant uses fists or scythe)

Code: Select all

AR/lvl, Pet,                pet lvl  Crit hit   AR
2.925   Cacodemon            200      1716      585
2.944   Demon                197      1680      580
3.145   Trans. Enmity        179      1507      563
5.785   Revenant Fist        160      1133      926
5.75    Revenant Scythe      160      1718      920
Thx to Metaing:
http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showth ... ost1362577

The Revenant pets (160 and 201) use cold PLUS melee damage: they hit with two “fists” and their Scythe, and also use a Fast Attack special. The Scythe also has a small chance of stunning the opponent.
(Somehow, the Scythe of the Revenants works like the Permafrost http://aomainframe.info/showitem.aspx?AOID=206062 )

I] REVENANT PET vs. OTHER MP PETS OF RK

We used the following buffs, as we had to make a choice. They looked rather logic to us, for the level of the pets, even if many MPs would be able to do better.
- Instil with Enduring Wrath
- Chant of Frenzied Blows (not High Chant)
Evocation of Maddening Wrath was also used for some tests but we finally dropped it as it did not seem to modify the winner.

I.1) REVENANT 160 vs. Transcendent Enmity WITHOUT healer

Note: someone may ask if it is fair to compare a level 160 pet (Revenant) with a level 179 pet (Transcendent Enmity which is also the best MP pet compared to its level). Our answer will be: we have a level 160 pet that has far higher requirements (853 TS and MC) than the level 179 one (811 TS and MC), which means that if you are able to cast the 160 pet, you are already able to cast the 179! So, yes, in these conditions, the comparison shows fair to us.

Winner: Transcendent Enmity with remaining life of 3% to 24%

We conducted this test more times than any other because it was quite surprising, not regarding the result itself, which was quite predictable, but regarding the range of remaining health of the Transcendent Enmity. Although the TE always won in our tests, it can be a very close winner as well a quite amazing one. So let's enter a few details.

We had 6 main fights of TE vs Revenant (plus some others attempts). The TE won with the following remaining health:
3%
23%
5%
12%
24%
7%

When we first witnessed a victory with 23% we thought it could be a bugged result or that a human error had occurred. So we kept on testing and it appeared that a 24% victory was achieved again, although most victories were much closer ones. Additional tests, not made until the death of the Revenant, confirmed the previous results.

I.2) REVENANT 160 vs. Transcendent Enmity WITH healer Belamorte

Winner: Revenant with 7-8% remaining health

It seems the Revenant will (almost?) always win in these conditions, when healed by a very good healer. This sounds quite logic, as the main problem, even the only problem, of the Revenant is low life points.

I.3) REVENANT 160 vs. Transcendent Enmity WITH healer Altumus

Winner: Transcendent Enmity with 18-20% remaining health

It is clear that the weaker healing of Altumus (compared to Belamorte's one) helps the TE a lot while it is clearly not enough for the Revenant to survive the fight.

Once again, it appears the main question is the life of the Revenant.

I.4) REVENANT 160 vs. Superior Enmity WITHOUT healer (and with)

Here, the two pets have almost the same level: 160 for the Revenant, 161 for the Superior Enmity. We have to point out that the requirements for the SE are much lower than for the Revenant: only 754 TS and MC: 99 points under the requirements for the Revenant!

Winner: Revenant with 45-50% remaining life

The Revenant is a clear winner, and it appears that, whatever you do and even if a healer is involved, the Revenant will win.

I.5) REVENANT 160 vs. Fiend Demon 191 WITHOUT healer (and other demons)

Winner Fiend vs. Revenant: Revenant with 7-8% remaining health

Yes, the Revenant wins versus the Fiend Demon, even if we saw the Fiend parries many strikes of the Revenant.

Of course, the Revenant wins versus lower demons. Nothing surprising here, because we all know that the first demons are much too weak. On the other hand, the revenant will lose against a Demon (the one called "Demon"), and a Cacodemon. The fast damage dealing of the revenant cannot compensate the huge life of the Demon, and mainly of the Cacodemon, as well as the strong blows of the Cacodemon. (Even if a TE makes a bit more damage than a Cacodemon)

I.6) CONTROL TEST: Transcendent Enmity vs. Fiend demon

We performed this test as a partial control for the others tests. If, without healer, the TE wins vs. a Revenant; and if a Revenant wins versus a Fiend, then a TE should win vs. a Fiend, and in slightly better conditions than the Revenant.

Winner: Transcendent Enmity with 8-10% remaining health

This result is consistent, and tends to confirm that the whole test is valid.

II] REVENANT PET IN SOLO RK MISSIONS

In the following, we'll sum up many experiences.

II-1) RK Missions of the same level as the Revenant (160)

I was lucky enough to be 160 when I started the revenant tests, and so I could exactly run 160 missions.

- The Revenant deals damage globally faster than a transcendent enmity
- The Revenant is generally much more damaged than a transcendent enmity vs. the same opponent (quitting the mission and coming back with a new pet when the mob is back at 100% health, in order to be sure too really fight the same mob)
- Engaging a second opponent immediately after a fight, without healing the Revenant is not a good idea, except if the two mobs were not strong ones
- After a second fight, it is usually mandatory to heal the Revenant which is often very low on health
- It is preferable to keep the healer on the Revenant, a thing you have not (or much less) to do with the transcendent enmity; this means you'll have to switch the healer to you in case of trouble, with the risk of a wrong or too slow reaction from the healer, as we all know
- Fighting two mobs at the same time may sometimes be hazardous with the Revenant, especially if they are mobs with a lot of life points, like enforcers
- Globally, the time saved by the fast damage dealing of the Revenant is roughly lost due to the time required to heal the Revenant; this of course varies a lot
- If you take care of the Revenant's life and if you know well how to manoeuvre with it, the Revenant does generally a good job in level 160 missions, although you must really pay attention in the case you face two strong mobs, or, worse, "adds" (mobs of the vicinity that come and help their friends).

II-2) RK Missions above the level of the Revenant (above 160)

Everyone usually rolls missions above his own level, for faster xp and better loot. All the pets (Engineers, bureaucrats, MPs) can usually face mobs many levels above them.

The results of the Revenant vary a lot. They range from a very decent behaviour with average and weak mobs, to a quite poor behaviour as soon as the mob has a very good life bar, and deals damage correctly. The Transcendent Enmity gives much more constant results and, is a much safer pet if you want to solo higher levels missions. Do not forget that you cannot recast the Revenant in emergency if he dies!

All the above remarks for the 160 solo missions remain true, but the situation is more critical. In our opinion, better use the Transcendent Enmity here globally, but the Revenant does fine against several kinds of mobs. If only the Revenant was a nano-pet and you can recast it as you like, it would be an interesting tactical tool to which you can switch at some moments of the mission.

III] REVENANT PET IN RK TEAM MISSIONS

In the following, again, we'll sum up many experiences.

As long as the Revenant has not to tank or does not take the main damage, it shows to be an interesting contribution to a team because of its fast damage dealing. And this remains true even in missions around level 195. Putting the healer on the Revenant is not even mandatory in this case, but you'd better care about the health of the Revenant!

Unfortunately, if things turn bad, the Revenant will usually die fast, forcing his master to run for his life.

The last team situation I witnessed with a Revenant level 160 was not a test of mine. It was a real team mission level 196, a few days ago, where our beloved Zaxmetax, MP 156, Fallen Society, Rimor, used a Revenant 160 while I summoned a Cacodemon. Everything was perfect, and the Revenant did very well, until the team split due to a foolish move as we all experienced some day. Facing two high-level poachers (sorry had not time to check accurately), with the Cacodemon for only help, the Revenant was damaged very fast while the Cacodemon (which is level 200) was, at least, resisting enough to give the team the time to gather again, what we finally did. (I'm not sure if the Revenant finally survived or if Zax summoned a new one).

It is clear that, at the contrary of several MP pets, the 160 Revenant can hardly be used to give a team the time to finish with some mobs while the pet holds another or several ones. And this, even at level 160.

IV] REVENANT PET IN PVP SITUATIONS

At the time of this update, the situation of MPs in PvP is bad, even if we can have some decent results at some levels, and in very specific circumstances. Our pets are too weak, too easily “charmable”, ” mezzable” or “rootable” (Revenants resist nanos better), and we have no self protection against special attacks that represent most of the PvP action.

Let’s be clear: fighting a character that got SL and possibly AI with a Revenant pet is a desperate move, unless the SL character doesn’t know its job or is way below you.

One good thing, tough, is you can cast a Revenant while running!

So, the following, written in 2003, applies today to “Froob” vs “Froob” PvP mostly:

PvP 1vs1 fights are usually fast ones, against an enemy with a reasonable life, while 1v1 PvM are much longer, against enemies with often a lot of life points.

In these conditions, [edit: and for Froobs vs Froobs] the Revenant 160 shows to be perhaps the best PvP [RK] pet available at that level (the Revenant 202 is clearly better). Not only the best MP pet, but probably the best of all pets, even if it is not as powerful as a level 200 engineer slayer, crat droid, or Cacodemon. Why that? Because the Revenant deals damage fast, AND seems to be less sensitive to roots than any other pet. On the other hand, if the pet is rooted and you have to terminate it, you simply cannot recast a Revenant fast enough for a PvP situation.

Now the problem is: how many will engage a urn pet, so hard to get, in PvP?

And the in-depth problem is also: are pets really good in PvP? But this is off topic here.

IV] AND IN SL? (Added in 2006)

The main problem is the minimum damage of the Revenant is relatively low and that makes him a very average pet versus mobs that requires high minimum damage, like hecklers and a lot of SL mobs.

Also the Revenant is too weak and dies easily when soloing. You can try and test it in teams, when a tank is holding aggro.

Once again, if you have SL, your path among MP pets is: TE, Cacodemon, Bizau, and other SL demons. And Tormented Revenant in very specific situations, or on RK instead of Caco and Biazu.

VI] CONCLUSIONS

The above is facts, and everyone can draw his own conclusions from it. Now, my own humble opinion is: if the Revenant was not a urn pet so hard to get, or if the urn was not limited to a given number of pets and acted like a nano, I would say "Froobs, go for the Revenant 160; it is not an all-purpose pet like the other ones we have, but it is a really interesting tool, even a tactical tool, as long as you keep in mind it is not made to sustain big damage."

Unfortunately, the conditions in which Froobs can get the Revenants are so hard that, instead, I ask to myself "is the Revenant 160 worth such a pain even for Froobs?" And personally, I would conclude: if someone gives you an urn, or if you find one in Inner sanctum while searching for something else, then use the Revenant 160 smartly and you'll have fun. But, in all other situations, unless your style of fighting requires a Revenant 160(?!), just don’t spend your time camping for urns.

For characters with SL, the Revenant is only a fun pet.

The Tormented Revenant, on the other side, is an excellent RK pet if you have nothing better than Biazu, and a good option in specific situations in SL.

Once again, this is *personal*, and reflects my own style of fighting and opinions. This is not the important thing in this document.

Your own comments, remarks, and experience are welcome! :)

Chrisax, MP 178, Rimor, President of Athen Paladins… in 2003
Same one, but level 220 at the time of editing ;)
Alphacenta
Leetissimo!

Post by Alphacenta »

What I was wondering about, in a hard RK teammish (say QL210), what will do more damage per minute?

A- TEP
B- Caco
C- Lower Revenant
D- Higher Revenant
E- Biazu :) Oh well Biazu will most likely win.
Lupusceleri L220/24 Agent.
Silversmith upcoming TL5 twink.
Wolfseye L110/12 Adventurer (towertwink).
Lysdexic L90/9 Agent (Mimic Enf towertwink).
Aesculapias L21/2 Doctor (ancient).

Aaaand various other alts.
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Alphacenta wrote:What I was wondering about, in a hard RK teammish (say QL210), what will do more damage per minute?

A- TEP
B- Caco
C- Lower Revenant
D- Higher Revenant
E- Biazu :) Oh well Biazu will most likely win.
1 Higher Revenant
2 Biazu
3 TE
4 Caco (close to TE)

Unless the mobs have extremely high ACs (like hecklers in SL); in that case Biazu is first. But it shouldn't happen on RK.
Hyde
Hyde!

Post by Hyde »

"Yes, the Revenant wins versus the Fiend Demon, even if we saw the Fiend parries many strikes of the Revenant. "

Was this during a time when Parry was active, or did you mean evade?
Grimdari
Leet

Post by Grimdari »

My testing with the 160 revenant was done for about three days of play. The revenant is very fragile if hit. Can last two maybe three hits from a 220 heck. The damage on the 160 revenant with evocation of pure malevolence, Instill With Malign Intent and High Chant of Effortless Strikes is sick. It was repeatedly pulling aggro off the tank. The damage it was doing was less than Biazu but was twice as fast. I noticed it crit'd more than Biazu as well.

So its definitly better for damage, but sucks for tank. I now have Urolok since Zoe dinged 195 and Urolok hits really hard. I think it just barely outdamages the 160 revanant.
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Hyde wrote:"Yes, the Revenant wins versus the Fiend Demon, even if we saw the Fiend parries many strikes of the Revenant. "

Was this during a time when Parry was active, or did you mean evade?
I forgot this part. At that time parry was active and you could see "parry" above the head of the Fiend.
Grimdari
Leet

Post by Grimdari »

I was able to use the 202 Revanant, and it outdamages Biazu hands down. I say it is equal to Urolok damage only because I see it crit more. On 220 hecks I saw it crit 1 in 5. Urolok on same hecks crited 1 in 10.
Metamate
Growing Leet

Post by Metamate »

A most interesting guide which helped me decide which pet to use in later levels a lot. A must read for all MPs!
“If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant: if we
did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so
welcome.”- Anne Bradstreet