VERY BIG NEWS FOR AO - New graphic engine and more

General messages, related to AP or AO. (All users can read)
Chrisax
President

VERY BIG NEWS FOR AO - New graphic engine and more

Post by Chrisax »

I already posted on org bot !news but I'd beter do it here too.

It will be official very soon today.... AO will get new hardware support: as I posted months ago on our forums, they hired new Direct X people and working on a new engine atm, using graphic processors and no more the CPU :-)

Also AO will receive new servers and database servers and a new network infrastructure. More things should be revealed soon today.

Stay tuned!
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Well it's done...

Letter from the Game Director
This week Anarchy Online is six years old and I wanted to take some time out this week to mention a few things about Anarchy Online in terms of its past, present and future.

It’s been quite a ride. I am sure there are many of you out there that like me remember all the thrills, trials and tribulations of having spent the last six years on Rubi-Ka.

Everyone here is genuinely honoured to now be in the position to be able to continue improving and adding to the game. Most of the development team has come here from being players and it’s the greatest testament to the community around the game that I can think of that its future is in the hands of those who appreciate the game from a player’s perspective.

So what exactly are the plans? Where will we be going over the current year and beyond?

There are a few things to mention here that I think will make for some exciting updates to the world of Anarchy Online.

Firstly we are very glad to announce that we will be moving Anarchy Online to a totally new server environment in the near future. The game will be moved onto brand new server and database hardware. This will bring the games live environment right up there with the best technology currently available that will help us ensure we can keep the game running for many years to come.

We see this as an important commitment to the continued development of the game. Now in the short term that does mean that there will probably be some significant down-time coming up when we actually make the switch (the technical folk tell me that we will be looking at having at least one downtime that will probably be between 24 and 48 hours long, but we will bring you more details on that at the time)

Next up, also looking to the long-term future of the game, I’d like to cover something that we have alluded to several times in the past and confirm that we are currently starting work on upgrading the rendering engine for the game.

What does this mean? In effect it means that we will be bringing the game engine up to date with more modern graphics technology that will, amongst other things, allow us to utilize the power of modern graphics processors. It doesn’t mean that the game will suddenly look amazing different overnight, but it does mean that we will be able to utilize the more modern technology to improve performance and introduce new effects down the line.

This is a long term project and it will most likely be next year before we are in a position to start to test the upgrade (as there is obviously a lot of work involved in such a process) but we wanted you all to know that the process is under way and our coders have started to work on the upgrade.

So now on to the really exciting stuff, news of what we have planned for new game content!

One thing that we have focused on of late is speeding up our development cycles and providing more content more often. We are very glad to see that this has been well received and plan to continue that cycle for our great free content updates. We are also though going to be releasing some great new paid content in a similar fashion.

Developing large expansions is often a time consuming and very resource expensive process. We felt that after Lost Eden, and with everything that its development taught us, that we wanted to try something different in terms of providing expansion style content.

To this end we have been developing a back end system to support the release of smaller paid content packs more often, and I am very pleased to be able to announce, not just one, but the first two such packs and what they will contain!

First though, a quick explanation of the new system that will support this. The back end system will allow players to purchase points that can be used on our billing pages to purchase these booster packs as well as various other items (like previous pre-order campaign rewards) and pay for account services like character transfers and name changes.

You will even be able to transfer these points into the game where they can be used to purchase individual parts of these booster packs if you would rather do that then get the whole lot in one go!

A lot will no doubt be made about the pros and cons of so-called ‘virtual item’ sales and the pre-conceptions that go along with it. We genuinely feel that done correctly this new system gives us the opportunity to provide more optional content for players while ensuring that the game continues to fund its own development and success.

The ability to try and develop more frequent booster pack style content means that we can make more focused content as we don’t have to try and capture every possible player with each pack. In addition it even allows us to take a few more risks in terms of trying new things as its far easier to justify three months production ‘to see if something works’ then it is a year or more on an expansion.

This means that as a development team we get to try and do some things that we might not otherwise have been able to. Personally I am very excited with the content we have lined up for this system so far, and think that it demonstrates exactly what we have in mind.

The first booster pack that we plan on launching in late August is a vehicle booster pack. The booster will bring with it some very cool new modes of transport to Rubi-Ka in the form of jet bikes and some very sleek hoverboards!

There are several designs of each type, complete with a wide variety of skins to pick from that mean you will always be travelling in style. What’s more there are even a few eye-catching tricks that you can use to impress your friends while on the hoverboards! Today sees the release of some cool concepts, screenshots and footage of some of these in action so you can get a sneak peek of what they look like!

You can find a first preview of the pack here on the site

After that, the next booster pack will be a playfield adventure pack called ‘Legacy of the Xan’ that will feature five brand new playfields that contain a great story driven experience for high-level players. Players will get to discover the answers to many questions relating to the ancient Xan and their link to the invading aliens as well as one of the most lingering questions in Rubi-Ka history – who is behind the Dust Brigade?

There is no firm launch date for this pack just yet, but we hope to be able to release it late this year.

So that’s the battle plan! Quite a bit to digest there I know, but we hope that you are all as excited as we are with where we can take Anarchy Online over the next year!

Lastly I’d like to personally thank all the players for the tremendous support and interaction that I’ve received since taking over as Game Director for the project. I know that it’s somewhat of a cliché, but it really is you, the players, that we make the game for and all of us here appreciate being able to share the journey that is Anarchy Online with you!

We are all really looking forward to the exciting places that we will be able to take Anarchy Online in the future. So the toast today on our birthday isn’t just to the success of the last six years but to another six successful years ahead!

Craig 'Silirrion' Morrison
Game Director - Anarchy Online

See Booster pack with SL vehicles and Bikes here:

http://www.athenpaladins.org/forums/vie ... php?t=2881

One important precision from Silirrion
There are no plans to sell anything that would have an active effect on serious gameplay, the items that we would offer through the points system will be the pre-orders and social items. Like all the existing pre-order campaign items, and also things like pre-made 'sets' of say the social clothing introduced in AI. So it won't remove the in-game means of getting those items, just offer an extra service for those who would rather just purchase them.

So you won't see anything that would effect game play specifically, that's something we are very conscious of, and like I said in the letter above, this is about doing it properly and fairly.
Last edited by Chrisax on Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:37 pm, edited 7 times in total.
teredoc
Strong Leet

Post by teredoc »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Holy cow.

The graphics engine update is very cool!
The booster packs, well - depends on the prize :)
25, beware the cane swinging senile!
Stderr VanZandt, DAoC Ector US server
MrMud/Meepsimor/Teredoc/Ninyah/Tomat in AO.
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Edited the above with an important precision from Silirrion:
There are no plans to sell anything that would have an active effect on serious gameplay
Details above.
canuckg5
Strong Leet

Post by canuckg5 »

i hope this fancy upgrade will not mess with me logging 3 sometimes 4 accounts at once.
core
King Size Leet

Post by core »

Looks like the gala-net experiment is so successful, many others are starting to follow the trend.

I m sure whatever is being said, about not selling functional items will be revised in a blink of an eye if it turns out to be successful for FC.

Other than the above, if the engine really gets a remake, this game will definitely be worth a look, at least for those who never played it.

I like the hover-board being able to work in SL as well, though I would like the bikes more as a means of transportation.
docksider
Big Leet

Post by docksider »

omg...

this is awesome.

btw im i've found me some wifi here in norway, makes me wish i brought a laptop
:/
Doom_Eater
Giant Leet

Post by Doom_Eater »

isn't this exactly the same thing they promised to do a year ago?
oh w/e... hope the game shows some more graphics when its done :)
?/
/?
/ \ help bob multiply himself so he can takeover the world easier
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

They never promised a new engine one year ago. They even said they had no project about that at that time.

Bit *I* disclosed a while ago that FC had hired people for Direct X programming for AO.
Derkiet
Big Leet

Post by Derkiet »

Fuze, every announcement that AO makes you say "Well that just wiped any desire I had of coming back". :P

This announcement is certainly interesting, and I'll have to check out the new engine when it comes out.
Grind42
Leetissimo!

Post by Grind42 »

Fuze missing u mate :) your oppinions & phrases always get me thinking.

glad to see u still so active on forums. BTW love your pictogram & actually watched the same thing u got it from man hillarious :lol: Rejected

Cant wait to experience some of the new improved AO, maybe it will even bring u back!!!!! hope its not all BS & fuss that takes years to implement.
If its not broken, Your not trying hard enough!!

-DC-Grind42-Nightcrawler-
Damage Clan
General of Athen Paladins
docksider
Big Leet

Post by docksider »

That is a bit scary heh, you got a friendly ARK or GM on your side >_>

about euro players paying more, yeah about 40% more with taxes
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Muahahahahahahahahaha :twisted:

You've been watched Fuze... shaddup and come back and IF you do so, you might see my new armor!
vasc
Leet

Post by vasc »

Dunno if fuxe was "watched" is simple to take the most played char name and put it in the e-mail.

They can use the same function as anyone uses to retrive the played time and get the "most important caracter" from your account.

BUT you never know with FC :twisted: maybe they are out there and watching ....

your pocket :wink:
Vasc 220-20-69 Atrox Enforcer
Vasc1 60-00-00 Atrox Enforcer
AFK atm
canuckg5
Strong Leet

Post by canuckg5 »

Ok ok, i guess the cat is out of the bag:) I own funcom and i have been taking carfull notes Fuze. If you come back i will make you part of the decision making process. Of corse once back in game you will have to give Jimbob 100 mils per month and also do all of his twiking needs.. I on behalf of the Funcom team Welcome you back with open arms. :D