Vista Source Code Leak!!

The only place for non AO-related topics.
Doom_Eater
Giant Leet

Vista Source Code Leak!!

Post by Doom_Eater »

?/
/?
/ \ help bob multiply himself so he can takeover the world easier
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

:twisted: hehehehe
Hyde
Hyde!

Post by Hyde »

Might have been true for WinNT4->Win2K->WinXP. Vista really does have significant changes and overall I've been VERY happy with using it on my new box. Its still far more complicated than a typical home user needs, but it doesn't suck, and it did improve many things over XP from that perspective.

In fact the main reason people gripe so much about Vista is because it -is- significantly different and therefor causes them to feel that its not as good because some of their old apps don't run or are causing them to learn new installations practices. Whoopee. Remember the transition from Windows 3.x to 95? Or from ME to XP? Or from OS9 to OSX? Or from kernel 1.x to 2.0? Same issues.

NOTE: I would still prefer to have AO run and run well on OSX or Linux. I'm not saying I'm a Vista convert from that point of view. Only that its not some fluffy version of XP with nothing new to add. And with only about 1 to 2 hours of tweaking I was able to get AO running nice and smooth. Not bad for a program still entrenched in code that is 6+ years old in an OS that is fairly new.
Last edited by Hyde on Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

More µsoft hate: :wink:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A pilot is flying a small, single-engine, charter plane with a couple of really important execs on board into Seattle airport. There is fog so thick that visibility is 40 feet, and his instruments are out. He circles looking for a landmark and after an hour, he is low on fuel and his passengers are very nervous. At last, through a small opening in the fog, he sees a tall building with one guy working alone on the fifth floor. Circling, the pilot banks and shouts through his open window: "Where am I?" The solitary office worker replies: "You're in an airplane." The pilot executes a swift 275 degree turn and executes a perfect blind landing on the airport's runway five miles away. Just as the plane stops, the engines cough and die from lack of fuel. The stunned passengers ask the pilot how he did it.

"Easy," replies the pilot. "I asked the guy in that building a simple question. The answer he gave me was 100% correct but absolutely useless; therefore, that must be Microsoft's support office and from there the airport is three minutes away on a course of 87 degrees."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Microsoft support rep was drafted and sent to boot camp. At the rifle range, he was given some instruction, a rifle and bullets. He fired several shots at the target, but the range master announced that the target was untouched.

The tech looked at his rifle, and then at the target. He looked at the rifle again, and then at the target again. He put his finger over the end of the rifle barrel and squeezed the trigger with his other hand.

The end of his finger was blown off, whereupon he yelled toward the target area: "It's working just fine here; the trouble must be at your end!"

dpidcoe
Strong Leet

Post by dpidcoe »

they're going to have to pry win2k out of my cold, dead hands :/
caveman
Maxi Leet

Post by caveman »

i've been using vista since october last year with no trouble at all..it even runs AO 40% faster than XP...now with the SP1 for vista is a different kettle of fish,the flaming thing wont install on my vista and the only thing microsoft support can say is "you will need to do a clean install as it is a third party program that is stopping the installation"..what a load of beezz wax,can they not admit it that they have a bit of coding wrong
------------------------------------------------------
Hyde
Hyde!

Post by Hyde »

caveman wrote:i've been using vista since october last year with no trouble at all..it even runs AO 40% faster than XP...now with the SP1 for vista is a different kettle of fish,the flaming thing wont install on my vista and the only thing microsoft support can say is "you will need to do a clean install as it is a third party program that is stopping the installation"..what a load of beezz wax,can they not admit it that they have a bit of coding wrong
I'm using SP1, installed fine.

In your case you could install it on a different box and then move it to the Vista box into a non-privileged directory (ie, not \program files\) and set full permissions for your user account on it.

AO doesn't do anything with the registry and all DLLs and files are in the main "Anarchy Online" directory (imo the way ALL games/programs should be), so you could even copy your old installation over if you still have it.
caveman
Maxi Leet

Post by caveman »

there trying to say that McAfee is the program that is causing the problem.i uninstalled it and sp1 still didn't install..i'll wait till i can afford an external harddrive and move all games onto it and clean install after that..

age of conan will be a bugger..the size is 10gig + download ^^
caveman
Maxi Leet

Post by caveman »

just to update you...the age of conan is 26.2 gig on your harddrive....one hell of a download ahead of me ^^

just completed a clean install of vista..sp1 installed great...i gopt no idea why it wouldn't install
Doom_Eater
Giant Leet

Post by Doom_Eater »

26.2?! OMGOMGOMGOMG!! you are joking right?.. thats like.. 2 times bigger as Stranglehold.. and that game was like.. HUGE..
?/
/?
/ \ help bob multiply himself so he can takeover the world easier
caveman
Maxi Leet

Post by caveman »

it's now at 35.9 gig on harddrive...it's one hell of a big game