New laptop advice

Many AP members are knowledgeable about computers. Ask questions and share your knowledge here. (Information are supplied without any guarantee. Do not open any URL or file not posted by someone you know.) (All users can read)
Elrojo
BacoTroll

New laptop advice

Post by Elrojo »

Hello Guys,

So I need/want to upgrade my laptop. And by that I mean buy a new one.

Currently I am looking at the Dell XPS 17. I can get a 2.2ghz processor, 3gb NVIDA fix card and 8gb ram (plus windows, word and usual HDD etc) for about $2400 Australian. I can build the same system in the US and have it shipped here and buy an adaptor for the power for $400 or so less.

What I am looking for is if you know a similar or better system for less that that. Keep in mind the fact that I'm in Australia and if it's some private seller or something I am not going to be sending things to the states for fixing etc.

What I like to do on my computer is play AO, maybe SWTOR and otherwise I just watch movies and tv and do some word processing, simple presentations etc.

So it doesn't need to be the super uber. My budget is 2400 or there abouts.

Must have's are;
17inch screen
Windows & office (yeah yeah I know, but I'm not going to use some other program as I have to prepare things for work etc and it's just easier)
Good battery life
Fast processor and good graphics (for example I want to be ale to run 3 AO clients + have Firefox open + another program like iTunes) and not have lag and delays.

Thanks in advance
Chrisax
President

Re: New laptop advice

Post by Chrisax »

OK, looking.

I have to check the value of the Australian dollar but 2400 is a big budget. Or you meant 1400?
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Online, you gave me this link: http://www.dell.com/au/p/xps-l702x/pd for a Dell XPS.

I had a first look at laptops under 2400 Australian dollars, and the Asus G74SX with an Intel Core i7 2630QM Processor, seems very interesting. It features a big GPU, the Nvidia GTX 560M which is normally able to handle any game on a laptop.
http://www.asus.com.au/Notebooks/Gaming ... use/G74SX/

Specifications: http://www.asus.com.au/Notebooks/Gaming ... ifications

Note the display is Full HD at 1920x1080 and also 120Hz (theoretically better display in hyper-fast games, and 3D videos display).

That said, I have NO idea at all on Asus (or Dell BTW) service in Australia, and, also, my thoughts are based on specifications and descriptions, personal experience of the brand, and a look at some reviews FTIW.

That said, to my knowledge, Dell laptops are fine too.

I'll keep on looking tomorrow.
noobas
Leetissimo!

Post by noobas »

DAMN!

Chris beat me to the punch!

WTF.

I'd highly recommend a ASUS G73 or newer.

Thats what I bought and it's a can of whoopass. I'd say I get about 80% as good performance as an alienware laptop for about half the price.

I have nothign bad to say about ASUS.

Heres where I bought mine: these guys are a bit sketchy, but I got a nice backpack, laptop and all the normal stuff for the best deal I could find in australia.

http://www.bestdeal4u.com.au/

These guys are about 20 minutes from my house. But they got really punked out bank hours, like open 10-4 on weekdays or whatever. Also, their warranties are bullsh*t. However, I don't do warranties anymore. I've found that manufacturer warranties are FAR FAR FAR better serviced than anything you get through a retailer.

IMO, buy through these guys, DON'T register your warranty through MACK Cameras (thats some stupid warranty provider based out of New jersey USA), and if you have any problems, just go through ASUS directly (store in fortitude Valley Brisbane), or just get it serviced at a local computer store.

ASUS will suffer the same problem any computer does, however, when playing AO, and that is based on teh fact that AO runs off your motherboard, not your graphics card, which means, essentially that your motherboard will have a effing hissy fit if you play AO a lot on it. I blew my fan on my ASUS, but, thats only because AO is such a gonger old game.

The fan makes noise now, but it runs smooth and very quiet as it should when I run SWTOR - even though by actual graphics demand, SWTOR is probably 100x more demanding as AO - again, can't fault ASUS, can only fault AO for that.

All in, The ASUS computers are awesome for these reasons:

awesomely ergonomic - tilted keyboard makes not sore wrist even after long play hours.
great resolution and display - I think my screen is 17.3 or 17.1 inches and it works great for AO and SWTOR.
separate number pad - not really needed but is helpful for options.
great package - the graphics + processor and ram and all that computer stuff works real well. I have 0 problems with SWTOR which is a pretty demanding game.

The only thing that will slow you down is australia intrnet and our physical location in the world. I run at roughly 330-380 ms of latency which is your basic un-removable constant lag. I have ADSL 2+ through TPG, not sure who your provider is but I consulted a few providers and they said that was about as good as they could do unless you move to a T1 connection which just isn't remotely possible.

So, I have to give the +1 to chris and the ASUS suggestion.
" I Don't Like That Man. I Must Get To Know Him Better." -Abraham Lincoln
Elrojo
BacoTroll

Post by Elrojo »

Hi guys,

Strangely enough ASUS was the one I saw other than the Dell, but it looked ugly as hell, which was only drawback.

I also looked at the metabox or something. Apparently they used to make Alienware. They had models for 2100 or so, but then when you add in software was about 2400, but I read they can be unreliable(?).

As noobs said warranty is a big one. Dell's HDD went on me about 2yrs after purchase, which isn't too bad, but bloody annoying to lose stuff.

Also for interests sake know any good coolers? I bought one that promptly broke 2 months later, and tbh was a bunch of junk too.

Edit: saw the G74 at the website you showed noobsas. Cash price for The sx-a1 model was good. But I assume it doesn't have office 2007. A bit annoying, but maybe I have a disk somewhere. Will call them about "cash price" as I'm up here.
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Laptop coolers are mandatory for gaming or intense activity.

(Side note: I noticed SWTOR tends to make the GPU a bit hotter than the AoC / TSW "Dreamworld Cheetah" engine from FC.)

Some possibilities:

Antec: one big and nice fan, the Antec 200 mm Antec Big Boy (I have several fans of that type as components in PC's and other equipment and they are excellent and silent.)
Designed to be used either on a desk or on your lap.
http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=NzE5JjIy

Review: http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?o ... &Itemid=66

Image Image

Cooler Master: 3 fans you can move and adjust to the hot points of the laptop
http://www.coolermaster.com.au/product. ... gory_id=16

Didn't find a review.

Akasa: not expensive, simpler, lower performance but works very correctly for the price unless it was changed. (No idea with the temperatures in Australia)
http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?tpl= ... AK-NBC-02B

Didn't find a review.

There is a version with a USB hub

Many models from Cooler Mster, Antec, and also Zalman (not clue on Zalman's laptop coolers), etc.
Elrojo
BacoTroll

Post by Elrojo »

Thanks boss,

Rang that place noobs and they said they would email me some other deal for the ASUS but no email yet. Will check tomorrow and then follow up. I am still operating under the assumption that I will salary sacrifice it, so based on my pay I will get the good old Government to pay about 40% of the cost. Pretty sweet set up for about 1600.

I told them I was referred, but I know none of your details, as they said they keep referrals in mind if you purchase something from there again. So PM me your email you used to purchase or something and I can provide that also.