Application

You are new to Athen Paladins or AO; you want to JOIN AP; you are unsure of what to do; you don't know what to read first, or where to post in; you have just too many questions; you are a bit lost… Find explanations and advice in this forum, and post here; we'll help! Note: due to the increase of commercial or illegal spam, we will ask you to register before you post here. Sorry for this inconvenience.
storpappa
Baby Leet

Application

Post by storpappa »

Howdy,

I had a nice chat with a few AP members last night, starting around the Athen grid, crossing into the APF, resulted in a few mistell /replies as people wanted to make sure someone got in touch with me, and showed what I have heard and read -- great group of active people.

I played AO at launch, till SL came out, with Clan and Omni toons I worked with co-workers, and did not have any stick around much longer.

I came back a few times to find the world population getting smaller with more vacant zones. In November a friend going through a divorce was looking for a new game. After looking at his specs, I brought him here with me to RK. He didn't stick it out, but I was rehooked.

I signed up my main account, spoke to a GM who reactivated several other accounts so I could clean up any old toons and mules that friends / co-workers hadn't already. And delete the toons. No sense keeping dead toons to tempt me and my chronic alt-itis

I added a new second account under the Veteran program, and took advantage of the 12 month offer to pick up beta access. Can't say any more about that here, but there are some very nice things coming down the road. The devs have even started to put a few of the changes coming in the public forum sections.

And they are actively working. We saw and chatted with Genele on beta yesterday

Back to RK Live -- I'm retired from work and the US Navy so I am on and off all the time throughout the day. Coming from a world of my old school RK, with teams living on the walls of Newland, zone crashing to get to Home to bang out team mission after team mission, I really like all the changes and new content.

And since November I have been watching and listening for active groups. I know a few but while active, it usually has been a small group of 2 or 3 friends multi boxing. And then AP

Active, always around, on RK, SL and APF

My playstyle - I will gladly help others PL, and kite for you
On my own toon, I would rather do the content, learn the maps and explore the landscape. They when I die a few times, learning the solo dogs and lone sharks aren't so alone, I'll ask for a hand on the ado brain quest. If you see me in Ado and yell hey stand still I'll do the quest for you, I will politely pass on the offer. Maybe on toon 3 or 4 down the road, but as a returning player this is all new to me

I have read the rules and gone over the forums since last nights in game chats, and am fine with them, no rushing to post this in haste.

If accepted, I would appreciate the spot
If not, I did enjoy all the in game chats last night, and the chance to look over the AP website and forums

Cheers
I like cats, especially with General Tso's sauce
Bredin
Leetissimo!

Re: Application

Post by Bredin »

Hi there Storpappa! Thanks for applying, and a great application too :cool:

It sounds like you'll fit right in with us! We've been around as long as any org in the game, and we are one of the largest certainly. I personally joined AP in 2004 if that gives you any idea, and my story is not at all unique: we have a number of long term members. Don't worry though, not all of our members are old farts like me :D

Anyway, here is the process to join us:
1) Register on forums and post here. Duh, yes you have done that already. We do like people to post that they agree to our code of conduct. Please read our code of conduct and chat recommendations and post here in this thread if you agree to them.

2) We like to have people as guests to our chat for a week or so initially (but we do it faster too), so we can meet you, team with you, etc. We also want applicants to get the feel for who we are as well during that time. The first thing to do with this is to get invited to our chatbot (name of bot is Bobsan) by a member. Look for us around OA grid. After being invited that first time you can then invite yourself when you log on by typing "/tell bobsan !invite"

3) After a bit as a guest in our chat we'll do an interview, but don't worry, its more like an informal chat to make sure both we, and you, are comfortable with stuff

4) Boom: Invite!

I look forward to meeting you in game! Hey, by the way, could you also please post here with what some of your in-game toon names are that you'll be on?

Thanks,
Bredin
General, Athen Paladins
noobas
Leetissimo!

Post by noobas »

very nice application.

Well see you in game soon.

Noobas
" I Don't Like That Man. I Must Get To Know Him Better." -Abraham Lincoln
storpappa
Baby Leet

Post by storpappa »

Thanks

Dmbew

I am sitting in AO Grid right now with bustercratty waiting for them to verify me :)
Bredin
Leetissimo!

Post by Bredin »

I didn't see that in your first post you said you agreed to our code of conduct. I'm fighting a cold. Nyquil is my friend and my enemy!
General, Athen Paladins
storpappa
Baby Leet

Post by storpappa »

I have read the rules and gone over the forums since last nights in game chats, and am fine with them, no rushing to post this in haste.

Yes, I agree.

Its interesting reading how they evolved over the long history of the org and some of the comments
Bredin
Leetissimo!

Post by Bredin »

Its been cool having you in guest chat, next time I see ya we'll have a chat and see how stuff is working out :-) I wanted to bend your ear some tonight when you were on, but I'm getting over a cold, needed sleep. I will stop whining now :-)
General, Athen Paladins
storpappa
Baby Leet

Post by storpappa »

Thanks everyone for the interesting time in the chat channel. It's been fun just to watch it go by and see the activity, and AP'ers helping others and wanting to do stuff in game

I passed the long interview last night and gladly accepted the org invite.

I am trying to vet through my alts and clean them up.

I am done deleting old toons; I will keep them around for the buff abilities

But joining a toon into AP, I want it to be one that I want to play. I can buff people into OA or Bor and run the tower daily on them every so often to build IP and VP for better buffing. Besides, alts require feeding, and that can become a job in and of itself if you let it. I have certainly done that enough times in the list of MMO's I played

Any words of advice or opinions on 2nd toon to play and level with my doc appreciated

Soldier - survivability, damage, wanted
Fixer - set and forget, but not as in demand in teams as a sold/doc combo
Enf - this was the choice of choices years ago, but I don't know if they are wanted more then a soldier
Agent - lack of damage, not been fun for me years ago or now. Good for ES/FG handy buffing
Crat - this would be a great first choice, but I wonder how complicated it gets to handle a crat/doc combo as the levels progress
Bredin
Leetissimo!

Post by Bredin »

Congratulations on your invite! We're glad to have ya :-)

From the alts you listed I'd probably say that either soldier or crat would be the most sought after profs for end game. Enf too, but it seems like you're leaning to crat/sol.
General, Athen Paladins
Backstabbah
Maxi Leet

Post by Backstabbah »

For me, I multibox, and handling a doctor and a crat isnt too difficult, however for tabbing between the two accounts, it can be quite difficult, for that route, id say level your soldier and doctor together as you can just ams on soldier and kill then while ams is down, go to the doctor and keep him healed until it is up again. Very good solo playing combo right there, and both toons are needed in almost all endgame content.
Rocts - MA // Backstabbah - Shade // Deadwreck - Enf
Tower War and PvP Perfectionist
Come Check Out My Live Stream @Twitch.TV!
noobas
Leetissimo!

Post by noobas »

I have some solid advice on this matter.

I multibox these teams:

1/2/3/4

Where 1 is: MA/Advy/engi/doctor

Where 2 is: crat/trader

Where 3 is keeper

Where 4 is soldier/enf/shade/fixer

This results in 4*2*4=32 combinations of toons.

Here are some things to consider:

Crat and doctor, while powerful, are both casting profs, and as casting profs you need to be seeing when they are out of recharge in order to be the most effective.

I generally don't like to play crat+doctor, as it's difficult to play WELL both at once.

My favorites to play are:

DPS-support/DPS/DPS-support/DPS, like MA/crat/keep/sold - this is a very powerful team.

MA/shade/crat/keeper - again, very powerful, but weak vs adds and nukers

Crat pairs very well with a prof who can utilize evades, and has some support (keeper!!!!!!!!!)....

Crat+advy, crat+MA all good.

But keeper is a head and shoulders above the rest.

If you wanted to make an epic combo though, that will be easier to gear than any other combo, you'd choose enf+crat.

Enf and crat will be insanely powerful, with strong AOE agg management (you need this on crat, in endgame, crat has insane DPS and draws a lot of agg from adds, which can be hard to deal with on keeper). The keeper defensive toolset is superior for teaming, but the keeper suffers from being 'useful' in only a few instances (this is a lie, but it's public perception).

crat+enf, crat+keeper are both highly useful, utilitarian choices, and both will work amazingly well.

Crat+sold is ok, but since the sold doesn't utilize evades as well as keeper or enf, you'll be throwing away a highly valuable aspect of damage mitigation.

For your doc, on the other hand, soldier is the best pair. Here's why:

on sold you cast AMS, and how you can spam dots. so you get higher DPS. Every other prof paired with a sold will require more micro management on healing and thus lower your DPS. sold has 2/3 def uptime, 1/3 def downtime. Good planning, HD setups with hots+HP buffing make soldiers weather the AMS downtime very very easily.

Soldier has enough agg management with clipfury and FA area agg to generate pull which frees up the doc from tanking. The reflects add to doc survival and with a decent HP setup the doc can take a lot of hits before you even need to think about him. multiboxing doc+sold will be an ideal setup, but will be slightly slow on DPS. so make sure to always have your soldier add dmg buffs up, and learn to use violence.
" I Don't Like That Man. I Must Get To Know Him Better." -Abraham Lincoln