Working nuXx

General messages, related to AP or AO. (All users can read)
bitnykk
Leetissimo!

Working nuXx

Post by bitnykk »

Soz, i've been too busy working these last days : spent 2 fulldays now to prepare the smallest Lamp 32-bits webserver possible ... and it's been harsh !

Was locked between heavy distros (ubuntuS, centOS, Debians, Mint, FreeBSD, etc) & more optimized but whether 64-bits oriented (TurNkey) or unupdatable oldies (Arch, SlitaZ, etc).

Finally got out of the tunnel by excavating latest DSL 4.11-rc2 + XAMPP 1.5 (both released around 2009 or so ...). Getting a fully usable PHP/SQL/FTP host under 400Mo DD & RAM !1!

But, always searching beyond edges of curiosity, does anyone have another equivalent or even BETTER effective solution for such need ? I'd like to read about directions, if so ;)
Ustarlen
Leetissimo!

Re: Working nuXx

Post by Ustarlen »

Apart from the first half of the first sentence and the last paragraph/sentence I have no idea what you are asking. I am grateful, however that you are in the org and have such skills :)
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

That's unfortunately too Penguiny for me.

But maybe Nad could help, or Mophro...
Nadyita
Baby Leet

Post by Nadyita »

Why 32bit? I use the alpine-release of the nginx docker-container (1.11.5-alpine) in one container and a custom php-container on alpine to provide the FPM-socket. Nginx is 54.23MB, PHP roughly the same. 64bit though. But what are you trying to achieve?

Okay, just installed nginx, PHP5, MariaDB and VSFtpd into an alpine-docker-container and it came to 159MB. I don't think it gets much smaller, does it?
bitnykk
Leetissimo!

Post by bitnykk »

Thanx for feedback : didn't knew of that Alpine/Nginx container virtualization, only tried few ones - like OpenVZ over various Debians/CentOS. 150ish container roXX ; got 300ish whole OS w/ DSL/Xampp.

But my main goal, here, is to be able to transform any old crap (pre-64 and, morevover, non-PAE) into a *decent* LAMP, for LAN (or small WAN) context. QoS & latest tech ain't prioritized here.

Ideally, i'd turn toward TurNkey's for various reasons (diversity, notability, etc) but all they offer is 64/PAE, unfortunately ... hence my curiosity & this topic ;)
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

One thing though. What is the goal for this server (unless I miss it somewhere)? Because last time I check, XAMP specifically stated it was made for development platforms but not for real production, especially over the Internet (and not even Intranets).
Nadyita
Baby Leet

Post by Nadyita »

Alpine also exists as 32 bit distributen, Check it out!. But I only ever used it in a container, so no idea about how the setup process works.
bitnykk
Leetissimo!

Post by bitnykk »

Yup, Chris, it's for my own dev/test & small LAN use, mainly to train people on the cheapest solution possible as i work in ITC for social/public audience.

Thanx, Nad, will check this Alpine 32bits option ! Hoping it accepts non-PAE platforms ... otherwise i'll stick with good ol' knoppixy ^_^
bitnykk
Leetissimo!

Post by bitnykk »

So, after hours of struggle, i really appreciate Alpine distro ! Thanx for suggestion, Nady :)

Explored several dead ends to finish up with an exotic but working LLPP setup. If Lighttpd was an easy shift for an (old) Apache user like me, PG has been a little difficult to adapt to, notably the schema/public workaround has been a little confusing at start.

But finally, it works really well & even able to be DMZed - once added iptables/fail2ban & others modern defenses i couldn't inject as well to DSL.
Malosar
Maxi Leet

Post by Malosar »

Nowadays the only things I've been interacting with on a constant basis is CentOS, REHL, Litespeed for my dev and prod PHP development.

For my personal site that I'm expanding soon I'm researching what kind of VPS to move to. Amazon doesn't seem like a very efficient pricing structure for me for compute. I've been looking at Digital Ocean as in my circles they get a lot of nods but utilize S3 still for the high amount of imagery I'll be serving.