New server??

General messages, related to AP or AO. (All users can read)
stokken
Leetissimo!

New server??

Post by stokken »

Chrisax
President

Re: New server??

Post by Chrisax »

Dividing an already small community over two servers when merging RK1 and 2 barely provided enough people to keep a bit of activity up?!

That would be an excellent solution to kill the game without looking guilty.

What would a new server bring with the same mechanics? The existing problems will be up again in one year.

It seems that 84% of the people who look at the FC's AO page on FB voted yes. I'm not sure if they realize what it really means, sorry.
stokken
Leetissimo!

Post by stokken »

Well could mean new server to run ao on?
Would you be interested in a fresh server for Anarchy Online?
Im supprised there are almost 1500 votes soon
Namisan
Big Leet

Post by Namisan »

Well i voted no and proud to say so, they should drop prices on paid accounts imho... Maybe then some veterans would come back
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

stokken wrote:Well could mean new server to run ao on?
Considering FC has always been totally awful at communicating, it could be a possibility. But I think it means another server.

To get people back, they would need to show they really care.
Boomer
The Boom

Post by Boomer »

Lowering the cost to play a 15 year old game with shit graphics would show some thought that they give a damn. ITBHO.
atlay
Little Leet

Post by atlay »

I’m not on Facebook to check for myself, but is this a poll set up by the official FC team? Or is it a ‘fan poll’?

Nami, I agree that the graphics are pretty dated, but I’ve played more than enough modern MMOs with amazing graphics and shit gameplay, so I can’t agree that the game is over priced. A game with this depth and complexity is not going to appeal to the masses, and niche markets always pay a premium for superior products.
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

It looks like the official FB page, and you can follow the link and see the poll (scroll the comments) even if not on FB yourself (and just cancel the "join/log" popup whne it appears). You just can't vote.

(I don't use FB either; I just used the account made to publicly broadcast some messages in an old PvP bot to vote, and vote no.)

Still, the question is SO poorly asked that you wonder what communication amateur posted it.
Nami, I agree that the graphics are pretty dated, but I’ve played more than enough modern MMOs with amazing graphics and shit gameplay, so I can’t agree that the game is over priced.
I agree but many people who don't really know AO just compare the looks and the prices. That's the current lack of interest of FC that is the main problem. But, to the credit of FC, they have never stopped a MMO game. Look at what NCsoft did with City of Heroes for example: they killed the game in awful conditions not because it was losing money but because it was not MAKING ENOUGH money.
bitnykk
Leetissimo!

Post by bitnykk »

Could be wrong but my wild guess is it was posted half random on FB to see if people still respond/interest in AO and make some fuss about it.

I think that because, if i was a company really about to do such reset and wanting community feedback, i'd have done a full-length campaign about the poll including twitter, newsletters, frontside, forums, etc.

As now, as nothing was posted elsewhere yet, i'm really doubtful about this poll seriousness.
That said, the company already did many communication/decision mistakes in the past ...
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Maybe it's not related at all, but this is something that was just announced for FC's game "Age of Conan":

Saga Server Opening Early 2018

In early 2018, we will be introducing a saga server to Age of Conan. A saga server is a unique server that is live for a limited period of time and comes with unique rewards for completing objectives. All players will start with a fresh, new character that will be transferred to Crom [Crom is the PvM server for AoC] for after the saga server’s live period ends, along with any earned rewards. Players will be able to claim rewards on a single character of their choosing.

We’ll be releasing more details as the launch date draws closer. Until then, get ready for the Saga of Zath - launching in early 2018!
My bet for Saga server: Pay for a spot on the temporary server, no heavy investment as it's the same game with some achievements or quests. Farm achievements, and come back to boot your Main.

Still the question: is is smart to divide a small community, even temporarily?
stokken
Leetissimo!

Post by stokken »

I asked a gm about the "fresh server"
Questions asked
]On the official Anarchy Online facebook page there is a poll running
Question is : if we want a fresh server
Could you awnser this? there has different meanings , so communications is not the best
In my opinion could mean 3 things
Brand new server technical?
Adding new dimension?
Reseting server with new start?

Regarding the poll on our official facebook page, I'm afraid no details have been provided to Customer Support regarding how or when a new server would be implemented. No plans have been finalized to implement a new server, at this time. Currently, our development and marketing teams are interested in collecting feedback from the community regarding the possibility of adding a new server for Anarchy Online. If there are any specific concerns you would like to submit to them for review, please feel free to include them in your reply to this mail and we'll be happy to pass your feedback along.

I apologize that we aren't able to answer your questions in more detail, but please be assured that no plans have been made to close or reset the existing Anarchy Online server and characters at this time. If our development and marketing teams decide to pursue this option, more information will be made available as soon as possible through our official website or forums so that all of our players can be informed. We recommend keeping an eye on these locations for further news and announcements.
Xandramas
Strong Leet

Post by Xandramas »

Never seen a server wipe mentioned anywhere before, that would make my mind up for me about quitting, no way am I going to restart after all these years!
Chrisax
President

Post by Chrisax »

Wiping would be an absolutely insane thing to do, even for FC's management which had some very strange ideas in the past.

Anyhow, when you ask a question, if you want valid answers, you have to make your question clear. Their question is not clear at the moment; it can have way too many meanings. Yes... we already said that... so why no explanations?!
Xandramas
Strong Leet

Post by Xandramas »

Exactly chris, my (limited) understanding at this time is they are exploring the option of a new server to sit alongside the existing one - not too great an idea in my opinion as we could use the concentration of population, rather than dispersing it!
bitnykk
Leetissimo!

Post by bitnykk »

But to try see it as FC might as now for AO (wich means old game they don't want to invest too much in anymore), they have 2 main options :
- try to clean the cheat/sploit consequences wich are numerous and taking time and assets vs costing reputation if not cleaned enough & faster
- reboot the server, taking for granted all cheats/sploits are gone (wich ain't, just bit harder but still doable) to attract old/new people but losing those fed up with losing all toons/gears

Both would lead to money loss, whether in investment or customer certainly gone (vs unsure back) ... best might be to let it roll like it is and fix what they find every now & then (maintenance mode) but in this case most people will never come back.

PS : compromise would be to make a new resetted bonus-server with the risk of dividing an already weak playerbase - wich could kill game also in the end.

In short, no matter what they do it's a loss as things stood too long in current state ...