EVE Online

The only place for non AO-related topics.
Sillanto
Leetissimo!

EVE Online

Post by Sillanto »

Has anyone ever played this game?

I just found they are doing 14 trials and so picked up a code fo ra rainy day. Is it worth playing?

I generally have to go and play another game every so often to stop ao becoming repetative. So was wondering if this game is worht wasting time on?

Ive heard some good and some bad reviews.

Edit: If anyone wants to know where to get the trial from give me a yell :)
You want it made ..... See me
You want it broken ... See me
You want it fixed....... Send your hampster to FC
Bredin
Leetissimo!

Post by Bredin »

Think Kyttn played it if im not mistaken
Grehndel
Leet

Post by Grehndel »

I played it for a bit....was awhile ago. I remember i was doing a trade run and got wiped out by some massive battlecruiser. All my cash and worth was gone in a matter of seconds.
Hyde
Hyde!

Post by Hyde »

Svanya went to EVE with a couple of people. And some of the recent AO departures due to tower war stuff went to EVE.

From what I've heard:

a) its a rather solitary game ... lack of "human" interaction much of the time

b) has decent PvP if you're the type to spend hours days weeks months getting into shape (or did I hear that part wrong?)

c) has a very steep learning curve (like AO)

d) is VERY easy to get wiped out like Grehn mentioned

all put together, seems like a good place for the "ubah pvp pwners" to go to ... but not so great for people who like a mix and more social aspects.

That said, I never even installed the trial I downloaded a year ago.
Kyttn
King Size Leet

Post by Kyttn »

*shudders*

On the good side:
> There is no level treadmill. You do not have to kill 3827 mobs to increase your skills.

> The graphics are excellent and when I was on (almost 2.5 years ago when they were hoping to break the 10K people online at one time) there was no lag. (They now boast 30k people online at one time and have added a lot so I do not know the current lag situation).

On the bad side (for me):
> You learn skills by training. This takes REAL TIME. Learning the 1st level of a basic skill may take 1 hour. learning the 5th level of that skill (skills are grouped in 5 levels, then groups are chained) may take a couple of weeks. This means that anyone that started EVE before you will ALWAYS have a training advantage over you.

> You can only learn 1 skill at a time, PER ACCOUNT. That's right, even though you may have 3 very different characters on your account, only 1 of them at a time can learn anything. This very much forces you to focus on 1 character.

> The Devs Love PvP. They do their absolute best to force you to PvP. Then they totally bork any RP related to PvP and allow obvious exploits (at least I think they are exploits).

Code: Select all

Example:

If you initiate attacks on law abiding citizens or government facilities your reputation becomes negative, you are flagged as a pirate and rewards will be offered for your death.  BUT if you want to collect a reward in anyone who's rating is between 0 and -5 DO NOT do it in a system patrolled by the police.  The Police will arrive guns blazing, shot you to pieces, then the "Pirate" will gladly come loot your remains.  

Note: from -5 to -10 the pirates are fair game anywhere.  But for 0 to -5 you have to leave all civilised space (effectively going to a place of 0% gas) if you want to initiate the fight.
> You will NEVER see another player. You will spend a lot of time making a face for yourself and you are the only person to really see it. Others will only see a SMALL icon sized version of it in their chat (if they turn that option on). There is no direct character to character interaction. All you actually see are ships in space and chat channels. It is very much IRC with graphics.

> The whole game is BORING! You CANNOT train anything unless you buy the skill. To buy the skill you need credits. To earn the credits you have to go out and mine asteroids for minerals, haul them back to a base to process and sell them. Provided there is someone there that actaully wants to buy the stuff you just mined! That is right, 90% of all market activity (100% of everything above the most basic minerals) is Player based. If noone is buying, tough.

So how do you mine? You approach a rock, stop and start firing mining lasers at it till you hold fills up with rubble. Real Exciting Stuff!!! Oh! Did I mention that while you are doing this in ANY sector but the highest fortified noobie sectors there is a very good chance that someone that wants to play pirate will warp up to you and blow you out of the sky with their 2 years of training and no thought for your 1 day in game. Don't bother to petition, our ARK system here is Light Millenia ahead of anything they have thought of in EVE. Provided noone abused you in chat, there is no griefing, it was just the normal action of a priate, get used to it and get better training.

Hmmm. Does it look like I HATE the game? It does? GOOD!

Erm ... did I say I HATE the game?
Sillanto
Leetissimo!

Post by Sillanto »

Hmm :/ Sounds like somethng that i dont need to try.

Looks like im gonna have to search elsewhere for my pace change. More than anything else its the skill training system that sounds bad to me. I can cope with a n hour or 2 to train a skill once you bought it but to wait weeks ?!?! of my time sounds plain stupid.

Thanks kyttn
You want it made ..... See me
You want it broken ... See me
You want it fixed....... Send your hampster to FC
caveman
Maxi Leet

Post by caveman »

i dl's it."the free 7 day trial" played for like 3 hours and got bored of it...as said above graphics is good but interaction with other ppl is near nil..during training to play your ship i was stuck outside the hanger or whatever it is trying to control/menouver the ship..ppl were sending me tells to get the f*** out of there way ect so that really put me of playing it again uninstalled it and cancled the account even though it was on a 7day free trial
------------------------------------------------------
Grehndel
Leet

Post by Grehndel »

kyttn pretty much nailed it.
there are also a shitload of scammers. its easy to do because of how they set up the trade system. noobs probably fall for them all the time.
If you have a group of people to play with, it isnt so harsh. maybe a bit more boring for some, maybe a bit less for others. you'd build a mining team, a couple of cargo runners(to carry the crapthat is harvested) a couple O miners (to harvest that crap) and a few guys who hate pirates. :shrug: once you get through a few levels of skill training its not so bad. get the bigger and better ships, weapons and other upgrades. it could be fun, but left a bad taste after my few million creds got wiped out doing an escrow mission. weakest crap ever.

the skill system was designed with casual players in mind. I remember training the short ones while I played (so I could keep myself busy with upgrade builds) and train the 5+ hour ones over night or while I was at work. The really long ones that were 21days or better, I never got that far because I had no use for them yet, couldnt afford the upgrades that they would allow me to use. Each upgrade requires training in multiple skill branches. Mining barges required something like: rank IV ship navigation, rank III ship command, rank II industry, rank IV mining and some stuffs like that. the skill system was not my biggest grief, because you could train the skills while you werent online. having to decide which of your three characters to spend that precious skill training on: weak.

It's something I might go back to if I can find some fun people to play with.

Sill: there isnt much out there that falls near where anarchy-online did. It's a shame, because if someone did make a decent sci-fi mmo, they would make a killing and finally give AO's playerbase some refuge from funcom.
Gravrod
Baby Leet

Post by Gravrod »

EVE probably has the steepest learning curve out of any game currently being played. In my opinion it is also the most in depth game that currently exists. There are many ways to make money that don't include mining. It is however (talking high end) the most profitable way to make ISK unless you got lucky over the years and acquired a tech 2 BPO.

I still have 2 active accounts, but I grew tired of all the politics that came with running a corp and and an alliance. I joined a corp with a friend of mine to try and get back into the game, but I'm currently having a lot more fun in AO than in EVE.

If you don't have atleast 3 hours to play EVE continuously then you really aren't going to get much accomplished. If any of you have children, you know what I'm saying when I tell you that is near impossible with a 2 year old running around.
Grind42
Leetissimo!

Post by Grind42 »

Hehe yip Eve is a very long term game, you need the time to invest in skills to get uber gear equiped into your ship.

Huge playfield & yes you have to be very carefull where u go or u WILL get shot down before you can say BLAMMO or "wheres my warpdrive key". Ie stay in your races determined space.

I tried it awhile back, didnt enjoy it because :
No1 Interaction between players, U dont really want to ask for help because of scammers & such.

No2 It took soooo long to fly from waypoint to waypoint you might have been playing a Flight Sym which is kinda what it was like. They have changed that now though because u can now warp on top of waygates instead of being 1000km away & having to fly in. WTB

No3 HARD, u can waste all your money buying 1 piece of equiptment that would be uber but then u didnt read a tiny explantion properly so its useless....The equiptment is VERY intricate. <--- troxness
Millions of different things to use, ofc depending on what line u train with skills & what race/ship u take. Shields vs Armor // Energy stealers called nosferatu's // many weapons, lasers, missiles, nukes etc etc different dmg types as well as dmg resistors etc etc target painters, warp drive scramblers etc etc lol just for an idea about the phatz

No4 Scamming is allowed its actually promoted, do what u want when u want just dont stay in the same place afterwards 8)

It really is a long term game, only 4 different levels of mishes 1 being the smallest/easiest & 4 being the most difficult, a lvl 4 mish can take 3-6hrs to solo possibly even more, depending on how hardcore you are.

3 different races if i remember correctly also if you do mishions you get an agent that you build standing with in order to get rewards & move up to higher mishions.

Space is allocated controled regions where if you have the standing you wont get shot at by NPC's. Also there is 0.0 space where pvp goes down & territory is fought for.

In conclusion: quite fun if u have the aptitude for it also can be great if u know people in the same sector that you can team with. Soloing at early lvl's sucked in my oppinion.
If its not broken, Your not trying hard enough!!

-DC-Grind42-Nightcrawler-
Damage Clan
General of Athen Paladins